Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear fog light non-functioning

Sussexlad

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

Not quite correct.

If you turn the foglight switch to the first position even without the headlights being turned on, the switch is still turned on.  This means that when you turn on the headlights, the front fog lights come on as well.  Turn off the headlights, and the switch is still in the on position ready again.

Mick.

No. On our i20, the rotary foglight switch moves to the off position when the headlight switch is turned off.

I seem to have started something here, sorry! I need to check my lights (fog) but haven't used the them in some time. The switch in my car is a "spring loaded" rotary ring and if I remember correctly doesn't have static positions for front and rear both on or front only.

In my humble opinion it should be designed to function the opposite way. Rear only on or front and rear on. And a "proper" switch like the rotary head/side lights rather than a spring loaded sleeve.

Our's is a sleeve on the LH stalk.

Fog Lights Off normally, turn it to first click, and Front Fog Lights On.  The Front Fog Lights will only be powered on and shine when the headlights are on even though the switch could be left in the On position.

The third position is sprung-loaded and when the headlights are on, it turns on the Rear Fog Lights.  After turning it, it springs back to the Front Fog Lights position.

When you turn off your headlights and then back on again, the Front Fog Lights will still be powered and shining, on but the Rear Fog Lights have to be switched on again.

Daft idea and a flawed design.

Mick.

just come back from driving the car, and whilst I was out, experimented with the switchery.

Side Lights are only there as parking lights, and never for actually driving ....................... so why can you have your Front Fog Lights on when you have your Side Lights on?

Utterly daft.

Mick.

Not as daft as people driving at night or bad weather with no lights on, DRL's shining away at the front but have no rear lights, completely oblivious....now thats utterly daft 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Not as daft as people driving at night or bad weather with no lights on, DRL's shining away at the front but have no rear lights, completely oblivious....now thats utterly daft 

Totally agree. Some cars they are like a string of fairy lights too!

23 hours ago, Mick F said:

Our's is a sleeve on the LH stalk.

Fog Lights Off normally, turn it to first click, and Front Fog Lights On.  The Front Fog Lights will only be powered on and shine when the headlights are on even though the switch could be left in the On position.

The third position is sprung-loaded and when the headlights are on, it turns on the Rear Fog Lights.  After turning it, it springs back to the Front Fog Lights position.

When you turn off your headlights and then back on again, the Front Fog Lights will still be powered and shining, on but the Rear Fog Lights have to be switched on again.

Daft idea and a flawed design.

Mick.

Thanks Mick, saves me fiddling with mine, same system. Rotary ring (I wrote) = sleeve.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, Mick F said:

just come back from driving the car, and whilst I was out, experimented with the switchery.

Side Lights are only there as parking lights, and never for actually driving ....................... so why can you have your Front Fog Lights on when you have your Side Lights on?

Utterly daft.

Mick.

Sorry, again, for continuing this, which has veered off the original post.

Checked mine yesterday, I just had to! As Mick writes, it's daft. Side and headlights on. First "sleeve" position clicks to turn on front foglights (I was wrong re it being only spring loaded). Further turn against a spring, rear foglight on with front foglights. Spring returns sleeve to first position and both remain on. Switch off headlights, both front and rear foglights remain on. Switch off side and rear lights, all turn off. Didn't check to see what happens when headlights are switched back on and the sleeve still in the first position.

I'm still of the opinion that, with headlights on, that first switch position should be rear foglight only, then if front so-called foglights are required, turn further aginst the spring. It's back to front literally!

That's it, I'll not bore any more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrpj said:

That's it, I'll not bore any more.

I won't either!  😀

Mick.

• 2 months later...

I have my MOT next week, so started checking all the bulbs etc.? Car has hadly been used since I bought it last June. 🙂

I noticed that the nearside rear foglight was not working. There is a bulb in there as well. Tested bulb, that is OK.?

Now you are saying it was never meant to?

Correct.

The only rear foglight is on the driver's side (off side).

Mick.

3 hours ago, Mick F said:

Correct.

The only rear foglight is on the driver's side (off side).

Mick.

Well that is a relief. 🙂

Thank you Mick.

Not rear fog light related but, out of curiosity, does anyone have any tips for changing the front offside sidelight lamp? It's totally buried in the depths. The left/nearside looks reasonably do-able. Not that it needs changing, still the original. It has to blow/fail at some time!

Whether accessibility improves by unplugging the other lights above it, no idea. Screenwash bottle also causes an obstruction.

Off topic again, sorry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links