Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

dmf/clutch confustion

cooper12000

hi all,

I have recently noticed a rattle when the engine is under load and or when the clutch is operated a slight vibration on the pedal.  I have also noticed there seems to be a little more free play at the top of the pedal travel than I remember.

I took it to my local garage to check it out and look at a few other bits.  They told me that it was the dmf and autodata said aprox 4 and a bit hours to do it and the clutch etc.  I had cause to take the car back this morning for something else and was told there is nothing wrong with the car.  I said well the dmf still needs doing and was told nope nothing wrong with it.  so I am now a little confused.

If it isn't the dmf what could cause the symptoms I am experiencing.  admittedly they are intermittent and are only slight but im a little put out as I have gone and bought a clutch kit and dmf for the garage to fit. 

hope my description is clear

coop

sorry should of said its a 2.0 diesel t3 model on a 08 plate

The vibration and free play could be the clutch release bearing, but would normally also present as a rattle from the clutch area when idling in neutral without the clutch down, that disappears when clutch depressed. The rattle under load could be unrelated, for example there is a known issue with the tensioner for the serpentine belt on the 1ad diesel causing a rattle under load at lower revs. Solution is to replace tensioner with modified version. My experience with the 1ad is that the dmf lasts well.

If I were in your situation I'd have the release bearing investigated, so you may need the clutch kit after all, because if you're replacing the release bearing you'll want to do the clutch at the same time if the car has many miles; even though mine has done over 200k it's not yet needed either. I Hope to get to 250k when I plan to replace the vehicle, without having to change it. Time will tell.

Oh the other thing is, if it is the release bearing, and it's not considered by your auto professional to be in danger of collapse, you could just live with it. As you might expect mine has a few extraneous rattles including a bit of release bearing rattle in neutral, but it's of no concern at the moment. Hope my ramblings help you in some way.

hi thanks for the response.  I had the dmf and clutch replaced about 20k ago  when the engine was replaced by Toyota for head gasket failure.  I am stuck with the kit because it was a special order item and the place I got it from wont refund it.  Im kinda at a loss what to do as I either waste the kit....or spend more money to have it fitted.

cooop

Once you know what's really going on, you could resell the surplus as NIB on fleabay.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links