Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disaster strikes

Carltona123

Well my beautiful 57 plate Prius with 58k on the clock was sitting in the staff car park doing no harm to anyone when someone reversed into it at speed.  

Impact passenger side front corner.  Front bumper wrecked, headlight pushed up into bonnet, bonnet bent, front wing damaged and pushed back into passenger door which won't open.

Being assessed as we speak.  Third party has admitted full liability and his insurance paying but that is little comfort.  Now faced with the possibility of a write-off.  What am I to do?  The new shape Prius seem very expensive (I got mine at under three years old with 17k on the clock for £9000) so couldn't afford to buy one with a sensible mileage - and are they as good as the Gen 2?  Mine is an amazing car and pre-accident the thought of it letting me down would never cross my mind.  Reliability is high on my agenda - are the Gen 3 as good as the Gen 2?

What about the Auris?  Are they any good?

Can't believe I'm spending my evenings trawling through Autotrader in case the worst comes to the worst :(

can you insist on it being repaired, and not written off and not registered as a cat d or c

8 minutes ago, unclepoo said:

can you insist on it being repaired, and not written off and not registered as a cat d or c

I'm not exactly sure about that - the only good thing is that I have that legal representation thing on my own insurance and my insurers have said they'll be at my disposal if needed.

15 hours ago, unclepoo said:

Nope. Only thing OP can do if they want is either get their own estimate, and if lower than market value have it repaired themself and ask the third party insurer to settle on a Cash In Lieu basis, or allow it to be written off and retain salvage and then repair themself with the payout.

Regarding gen2 vs gen3, the 3 is far better from what I've seen, on both fuel economy front, and power output etc, being a 1.8 and not the 1.5

From what I've seen, Gen 3 Auris is incredible. I wanted one but just out my price range. My Yaris is Gen 3 (though 1.5L) and no problems whatsoever. It is incredible.

2 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

From what I've seen, Gen 3 Auris is incredible. I wanted one but just out my price range. My Yaris is Gen 3 (though 1.5L) and no problems whatsoever. It is incredible.

What sort of fuel economy do you get?

At the moment, approximately 50 MPG. I've only had the car 5 months, so not had it during summer yet, but when we have had warm weather, I've got a computer reported MPG of around 65 on trips.

The Auris and Prius Hybrids are both more efficient than the Yaris Hybrid, so you should see even higher MPG with those.

The main reasons for poorer MPG in winter are mostly:

Increased electrical loads, the engine is colder more in winter so it starts more often to keep it warm, use of the heater on the Yaris requires engine heat, reduced Battery capacity due to it being colder (experience with the Nissan Leaf suggests about a 15% drop in capacity during winter - ergo the engine runs more often).

In summer it should be outstanding! It is already very good! Compared to conventional cars, they are outstanding in every way.

It can't be stated enough that they are quiet, great to drive, and relaxing to drive!! That isn't a myth!

In the strong winds we've had lately, I just do not notice it at all. I've driven other cars which are just awful with even less wind, but the Yaris has been outstanding. Apart from increased power and a constant turn towards the wind direction to keep it tracking straight, you just don't notice it. No buffeting, and HARDLY any noise at all! Most of the time it is quiet.

When I was shopping around I read that the whip antenna makes a noise in wind. I think that is totally bogus - I have never heard it make a noise!

If you can, get the glass roof! It is awesome!

Oh I'm so glad that you're happy with your Yaris!

They've given me a rental car while mine's off the road - Fiesta 1 litre ecoboost.  It's supposed to be the most super fuel efficient car they make.  Not cheap at £16000.

Well I tell you what - beautiful car though it is - to get over 40 mpg you have to use every hypermiling trip in the book.

Best stick to hybrids, I think.

22 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

We haven't reached the third generation Auris yet - the current Aurtis is the second generation that has undergone its mid life facelift. Presumably if Toyota follow their 5/6 year product cycle, the third generation Auris will be with us around 2018, the fourth generation Yaris around 2017.

On 05/02/2016 at 4:37 PM, Carltona123 said:

They've given me a rental car while mine's off the road - Fiesta 1 litre ecoboost.  It's supposed to be the most super fuel efficient car they make.  Not cheap at £16000.

Well I tell you what - beautiful car though it is - to get over 40 mpg you have to use every hypermiling trip in the book.

Best stick to hybrids, I think.

My wife has one of those Fiesta's, she averages about 38mpg, just pootling round town, when we go out for runs I can get it up to 45 ish, I'm quite impressed I must say......still love my Prius more though :)

13 minutes ago, Mkuk0 said:

My wife has one of those Fiesta's, she averages about 38mpg, just pootling round town, when we go out for runs I can get it up to 45 ish, I'm quite impressed I must say......still love my Prius more though :)

Similar mpg to our 2015 Hyundai i20 1.4

My wife's previous automatic 1.3 yaris did that sort of mpg (38ish).  Her current hybrid yaris is doing 56mpg.

@FROSTYBALLS: thanks for the correction!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3 February 2016 at 9:39 PM, Carltona123 said:

Well my beautiful 57 plate Prius with 58k on the clock was sitting in the staff car park doing no harm to anyone when someone reversed into it at speed.  

Impact passenger side front corner.  Front bumper wrecked, headlight pushed up into bonnet, bonnet bent, front wing damaged and pushed back into passenger door which won't open.

Being assessed as we speak.  Third party has admitted full liability and his insurance paying but that is little comfort.  Now faced with the possibility of a write-off.  What am I to do?  The new shape Prius seem very expensive (I got mine at under three years old with 17k on the clock for £9000) so couldn't afford to buy one with a sensible mileage - and are they as good as the Gen 2?  Mine is an amazing car and pre-accident the thought of it letting me down would never cross my mind.  Reliability is high on my agenda - are the Gen 3 as good as the Gen 2?

What about the Auris?  Are they any good?

Can't believe I'm spending my evenings trawling through Autotrader in case the worst comes to the worst :(

Hi i have a 3rd gen and they are actually really good and worth the price and if your car is written off then u might just get enough to buy a second hand 3rd gen prius

Well I got the call last Friday and on Saturday morning was reunited with the missing member of the family :)  New front bumper, n/s front wing and passenger door also resprayed for good measure.  All seems fine - fuel economy around town is about 60 so the patient appears to have made a full recovery.

It did get me thinking though - at just over eight years old maybe I should think of changing in a year or so.  Prius' values seem to really be holding up so maybe Auris is the way to go?

So glad to hand back the Fiesta.  One litre super car?  I struggled to get 40 around town and a 400 mile motorway trip @ 68 mph gave a measly 49 to the gallon.