Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Upgrade discs and pads help required

Jaguarman

Hi all is it possible to upgrade the disks and brake pads on my Celica and would I have to upgrade anything else ? I am about to have my Celica put through a friends workshop full service bushes suspension all being given the once over I am also considering putting new 17in alloys on with new tyres as my Celica handles ok in the dry but when its damp/wet its all over the place when pushed any tyre recommendations would be helpful at the moment its got tyres on I've never heard of I think they may be ditch finders many thanks for any help on this cheers

What brand tyres do you have presently?

Hi FROSTYBALLS I've no idea I will have a look when I go to pick my Son up from squash , I did google them and they came up only as budget tyres they are not a well known brand not to me anyway . I know that the fronts are different from the rears but the same on each axle , I will post later cheers 

Does anybody know what these wheels are called? as I like the look of them and they are 17 inch IMG_1012.jpg

Discs and pads is all you need, no need to change anything else. If you want you could upgrade to braided brake lines to get rid of a little of the sponge feeling from the brake pedal that all gen 7's suffer with, or for a few quid more you can buy avensis calipers, then you have slightly bigger discs and better braking but non of the spongey feeling.

Those are the standard t-sport wheels, most celica wheels were made by a company in Italy called fondmetal, not 100% sure if these are though, they are usually pretty soft metal and easily warp when youv'e gone over a few pot holes, are you planning on refurbing or looking for a spare set?

As for tyres it's usually recommended to go with a decent branded tyre, as the rear camber on the celica wears cheaper tyres out unevenly, and you can get tread lift which sounds like a wheel bearing on the way out. Just don't get Pirelli, mine wore out and very uneven after 5k miles on the rears.

Hi armoredfist2002 thanks for your reply very helpful are the Avensis discs and calipers a strait swap ?, I am looking for a replacement set of alloys as mine are a bit rough and not sure if they are worth refurbing , as for tyres I was thinking of Dunlop sport blue response as I put a set of these on my Auris and they seemed to hold the road pretty well

once again thanks for your reply, I am going to pop round my garage to see what tyres are on already as I forgot to look last night and again this afternoon :biggrin:

Hi armoredfish2002 I've signed up and already found some useful information cheers , The tyres on my Celica are  Nexen on the front and Capital on the rear never heard of these

tyres and I suspect that they are ditchfinders  as I say car handles quite well in the dry but not good in the damp/wet in fack like a bag of !Removed! :biggrin:

Nexen are a South Korean tyre manufacturer which has been in existence since 1942. Main competitors are Hankook and Kumho.

Capitol are the budget brand of Nexen, and are manufactured by Nexen and Itochu Corp (a Japanese corporation that owns Kwik Fit).

Hi FROSTYBALLS cheers  great information would I be right in thinking that they maybe the reason that the car isn't to good in the wet/damp and ok in the dry ? 

Well my Celica went through my mates workshop and he reckons its in great shape , so I think I will upgrade brakes fit 17 alloys and put some good rubber all round thanks for all of your collective help :smile:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links