Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RDS TMC problem on 2015 facelift auris

ChrisClemson

I took delivery of the latest Auris sports tourer a month ago. I found the RDS-TMC info on the sat nav did not seem to be receiving traffic data, it would work fine when using an internet connection, on my previous auris and several prius version the TMC radio would show data, even without a route set up.
 The dealer had the car back for a couple of days and said they would contact toyota and get back to me, Toyota wanted them to replace the sat nav, so the car was back to the dealer for a day. I collected the car and found the TMC traffic problem was still the same, plus there was no voice recognition  and no option fo Wifi connection. The car went back for another day and they refitted the original sat nav saying that Toyota tecnical had said no sat nav ever displayed traffic information unless a route was entered and there was no fault with the sat nav. My car is now as it was from new with no TMC traffic data, the tuner appears to scan and locate radio stations that might transmit this data, but never displays it.

I wonder if anyone has had this fault, or does everyone have I phones with a large enough data allowance to get traffic data over mobile internet?

Added pictures showing operation that Toyota technical say cannot be done and has never been possible on any Toyota.

20160206_095546.jpg

20160206_095558.jpg

20160206_095606.jpg

20160206_095709.jpg

Edited by ChrisClemson
Adding Pictures

did you fine a solution to this? i have a new Auris and am experiencing the same problem, no traffic information via the TMC system.

No solution so far, the dealer and Toyota technical think this is not a fault, even though it really is. Hopefully they will come up with a software fix when enough people report the problem, I think the sat nav tmc tuner is working, but either the signal is too low to receive data or the software required to decode and display it is wrong. My brother has a Yaris with the latest touch and go sat nav system, TMC traffic works fine on his car taking a very short time to get the data, the "showall" tab does what it says, even without a route set.

The only solution at the moment is to use the mobile internet option, but that will burn a big hole in your mobile data allowance on a long journey.

I have had my Auris Hybrid Excel for 2 weeks and never received a traffic message via TMC, on top of that on a number of occasions it hasn't been able to connect to the Internet using my phone either so completely blind to traffic problems which isn't good on the M25.

have you set the refresh rate to refresh frequent ( i think that is the right wording) as i think the default is manual (or something like that)? 

regards

I have been trying to find more information on the Sat Nav system, I have seen mention that Toyota were the first to have traffic updates via DAB (PRO systems fitted to Prius and Land cruiser I think). This TPEG system replaces the FM RDS-TMC system and is supposed to be faster and have more accurate information on incident and location.

I had a theory that the PRO system might use the same unit but with different firmware / software and that the unit in the new auris has not been properly configured to receive TMC data, I have no proof of this so far, but will keep looking for more information.

I have had the same problem with internet connection via my phone, I can connect to my home WIFI from the end of my drive and get traffic data, but loose it when it disconnects before the end of the road. It is a pity that so much of the Tech. works well and is spoiled by this one feature that fails.

do you connect to the sat nav via blue tooth and your phone is set to tethering?

regards

Yes, found out by trial and error, never used that function on my phone before.

thats how i used to connect to the sat nav and get traffic over the internet, if you set it to wifi it will drop traffic over internet once you are out of range of wifi and get it via the TMC channel, unless you connect via bluetooth. I found that it only used kb of data to keep the traffic situation up to date.

regards

I have new aruis Excel software version 4.5.OWH

I have hade the same problem but now use my iPhone to connect to the sat nav via bluetooth and the phone is set to tethering.

this works very well I did take the car into dealer but they couldn't get any info through the TMS and changed the station from auto to classic fm (press and hold the tmc button in the menu for a few seconds).

I think there is a few bugs in the system its locked up on me and changed to KM from MPG on its own.

I'm not that impressed with the DAB as it drops out where FM is fine.

20160208_155202343_iOS.jpg

20160208_155206879_iOS.jpg

I finally saw my first traffic warning icon on the sat nav screen, it does not require the triangular traffic mode button on the map to be selected (warning icons show in normal mode too)  I set it to traffic over internet after setting up my bluetooth phone. As a precaution I turned off the WIFI option in the connectivity settings making my phone the only available internet source, connection was fairly quick and traffic data appeared after a couple of presses of the refresh button.

Traffic info reconnected to phone ok after I stopped off for fuel, I will either have to increase my mobile data allowance or hope Toyota decide to fix the TMC problem.

I contacted Toyota via their website last week, they said they would get back to me after 4 or 5 days, still waiting....

Still no reply from Toyota, but my dealer contacted me to tell me there is a software update required on my car. I could not get any details from them, the recall checker also shows no information. Hopefully it is a sat nav system update. Have to wait another week to find out.

I have exactly the same problem with the TMC traffic warnings on a new Auris. I have just changed from the previous Auris model where the warnings worked as expected. That is warnings were always shown even if no route was selected and heavy traffic shown by sections of the road turning red where there was congestion. My new car shows nothing at all whether on a route or not, not a single warning in the 4 weeks of owning the car. I can get warnings working using the internet option via my phone and this works fine, obviously if I continue to use this it will be costing me money. I have taken the car back to the dealer and after a few hours of trying and not getting it to work the dealer suggested the solution was that a software update was needed. I actually find this hard to believe as surely that would mean that every new Auris with this software version would have this problem, yet it seemed that I was the first to report this issue to the dealer. (I don't think they have only sold 1 Auris recently.) I then contacted Toyota head office and after a few days they got back to me and said indeed the issue was a software problem and that Japan were at this very moment working on a patch, and I would be contacted when the patch was available. Well I suppose we will just have to wait and see, I just think many more people would have this problem if it was simply a software issue.

2 hours ago, Gunner50 said:

I just think many more people would have this problem if it was simply a software issue.

Or their other clients don't use TMC traffic, so they haven't noticed it?

At least your dealer did not just say there was no fault and that it never worked without a route being set up. My brothers Yaris has the latest sat nav, very similar in features to the Auris unit, the big difference is that the RDS-TMC works, as the the Auris should be a higher spec. model it is odd that this feature does not work. It is possible not many people had the sat nav option and those that did have I-Phones or no idea about the cost of data when they are connected to the car.

I am hoping that the software update my car is due for next thursday will be a fix for the sat-nav.

father in law has same model as me but the first of the face lift and says that the traffic works on his.

going to nip round later and see what version he's on

the version I'm on and not working is

software version  01014C  map version4.5 OWH  Map ID 2015v2

will post back with version and if it works.

Dose anyone have problems with the DAB signal mine is ok with all BBC but drops out of the others even when in big city's.

Right been round father in laws and his traffic definitely works these are his software and map versions.

software version  010141  map version4.4.1 WH  Map ID 2014v3

He also states that his DAB doesn't drop out much

20160229_173334447_iOS (2).jpg

20160229_173339936_iOS (2).jpg

20160229_173533603_iOS.jpg

20160229_173538886_iOS.jpg

Yes I have the same non working software version (and this does seem to affect the DAB radio as well, mine drops out much more than previous Auris). It seems to me the best thing Toyota could do is to revert us back to the older working version until they have sorted out the problems.

I have noticed DAB reception is not as good as my previous Auris, it's good to see that the TMC fault is software related as at least it can be fixed, the manufacturer of the sat nav has been around long enough to make it work properly.

Just home from my dealer after the software update / reinstall / fix, the version numbers are the same as my original software, I assume they have re-installed a patched version.

Whatever they did, IT WORKS!!, I tried manual and automatic selection for the TMC radio channel on the forecourt before I left, both loaded traffic information in a few seconds, selecting "Showall" without setting a route also works (Toyota Tech. might have been wrong about this feature never working on any model). Traffic info icons will appear on the map in normal map mode or the " Traffic" mode. I never got my reply from Toyota, it looks like they contacted the manager of my dealer directly. I have not tested DAB reception on my usual route to work yet, but it seemed stable on a local station on the way home.

20160303_143625.jpg

20160303_143639.jpg

20160303_143902.jpg

20160303_144051.jpg

20160303_144100.jpg

Thanks Chris just rang my local dealer and their checking with Toyota for the update.

How long did it take for them to do?

Just been in and they have installed a version not yet released but became available Wednesday.

All software has the same version numbers but Traffic now works over the radio and the DAB dose seem better but only a small drive home the system dose also seem a little quicker.

Presume the update is the one mentioned in this earlier thread - 

6 hours ago, griff279 said:

Thanks Chris just rang my local dealer and their checking with Toyota for the update.

How long did it take for them to do?

The dealer had the car from about 9 AM to 2 PM including washing and vacuuming.