Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T27 Tourer various questions

yossarian247

Hi everyone,

We've just recently bought a 2012 Avensis 2.0 D4D T4 Tourer to replace my wife's ageing Ford Galaxy. Generally I'm very pleased with it but there is one slight annoyance, being wind noise from the drivers door. There was also initially the same 'rubber creaking' noise from the door seals which I'd previously noticed with my Auris, but silicone spray round the seals silenced that, just like I found it did with the Auris. The remaining noise is a sort of 'air rushing' sound coming from near the small quarterlight or front edge of the door as far as I can tell. Is this a known problem? Searching on here only reveals that later versions had a slightly modified external trim to reduce wind noise, but mine being an October 2012 has this already. The passenger side doesn't make this noise at all, so I spent some time comparing the door seals on both sides of the car but the are no obvious differences or damage. I'm pleased to say that my car doesn't seem to be suffering from the infamous 'door cracking near the check strap' problem when I examined it.

Would this be covered by the Toyota 5 year warranty? I bought the car from an independent dealer but it has a full Toyota main dealer service history with just over 50k on the clock and only serviced in November 2015.

Incidentally, what are the correct service intervals for this model please? The previous owner had it serviced every 10k but I thought the intervals were 12500 miles on these?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I think that you are going to get wind noise around the mirrors of any car. My car came s/h with wind deflectors already fitted so I can't be sure that my car & yours sound the same but it's not a big issue for me (esp. as I usually have the radio on).

Whilst the door skin cracking problem obviously exists I don't think that it is that common plus afaik by your car & mine had been addressed in production.

Iirc the book does say service every year or 12,500 miles - whichever comes sooner. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

Yes I appreciate that some wind noise is going to be inevitable, it's perhaps just all the more annoying for the fact that the passenger side is virtually silent in comparison! It definitely sounds like the door seal is leaking air at higher road speeds but if so it must be a tiny leak as there is nothing obvious to be seen.

Regarding the service interval, I have a 2012  2.2 estate and the service book that it came with it also stated 12,500mls/ 1 year between serving, however the local Toyota dealer and reconfirmed by Toyota GB said it is 10,000/ 1 year. So I'm assuming that it changed around about 2012 and I get it serviced every every 10,000mls, to avoid warranty issues. The service warning interval, on the car is set for 10,000mls. 

• Like 1

Thanks, that probably explains why mine has been serviced every 10k then.

Also I noticed the other day that the daytime running lights only work on one side of the car. From searching on here it seems that the lower spec models such as my T4 use conventional bulbs for the DRLs, even for the strip of lights which look like LEDs, is that correct? On mine both the bulb and the strip are out on one side. Is the bulb in the strip replaceable? I think I saw somewhere that the unit is sealed and would need a complete new lamp?

1 hour ago, yossarian247 said:

it seems that the lower spec models such as my T4 use conventional bulbs for the DRLs, even for the strip of lights which look like LEDs, is that correct? On mine both the bulb and the strip are out on one side. Is the bulb in the strip replaceable? I think I saw somewhere that the unit is sealed and would need a complete new lamp?

Have a read of this thread...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alan333 said:

Have a read of this thread...

Thanks, sounds like a trip to Mr T then! Strange though that both the strip and the bulb aren't working on one side. Either coincidence & both have blown within a short time of one another, or a loose connection to that side perhaps.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the DRL situation. As both the main bulb and the strip were out on mine I feared the worst and took it Toyota. All it needed was a bulb! There is a weird quirk of these lights in that if the main DRL filament bulb blows the little separate strip of lights at the top of the headlamp unit stop working too. Mine would actually flash on for a fraction of a second then go off which had made me mistakenly think there was an electrical fault somewhere Once the main bulb was replaced the strip also started working as normal!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi, 

I thought I'd give a further update on this. I finally got the wind noise from the driver's side door sorted. The dealer tracked the noise down to the weather strip around around the small quarterlight window. That has now been replaced under warranty and the noise has now gone ! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links