Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris SR180 2.2 D-CAT Problems

lilpopjim

First off.. The car has got a failed head gasket..

I bought the car 5 days ago etc. After seeing a lot of pink dots on the offside suspension turret i knew that the HG had gone.. I had it chemically tested and it's got the dreaded HG problem! The dealer did say he'll buy it back off me which is a good thing. Anyways.. more onto the topic at hand.

Simply put is there anyway i can get a new engine/ have it rebuilt? It has 78,500 miles.

Full service history, 80% from Toyota as well as having all Injector replaced late 2013. The engine runs sweet as a peach and has no hiccups.. no problems starting etc etc. Loads of power loads of torque. I love the car but yes, it has a failed head gasket. 

I've contacted Toyota GB basically begging. My dad worked for Lexus as a sales manager for over a decade and has contacted friends etc looking for information. We put our feelers out this afternoon so are still awaiting replies. I'm not getting my hopes up but i really want to keep this car. I got it for £3150 which was a steal.. Mainly as the dealer didn't have any receipts for work but i found out through a friend that it had been worked at by Toyota for new injectors all round and a new water pump.

Is there anything i can do? I want to keep this car so damn badly as there's quite literally, nothing else i want! It's getting me really down because of it all.

Thanks for any help in advance.

The following is extra..

I love the car, it's genuinely perfect for me.. I'm 21 and at University and i spent almost all my disposable money on this car as i was hoping to have it for many many years hence why i plunged a lot into it..The car is perfect for the long cruises to and from uni as well as picking up my girlfriend from her uni to bring her home.

It has the following: Keyless entry and start, automatic headlights and wipers, factory tinted windows and factory spoiler.. The paintwork is in perfect condition for its age; interior is also spotless with genuine rubber auras mats all round etc. Tyres are all the same brand and have plenty of tread. Same goes for the clutch and as said, it had all injectors replaced with a new water pump also.

I really really really want to keep this car. I've been searching for a little over a month for this specific car with all its features etc. I haven't found one with everything this has!

Have a look at the following extensive thread - 

Basically Toyota, under a goodwill arrangement, extended cover on these engines for 7 years/111,846 miles, whichever occurred first. A 2008 model, being over 7 years old, is outside the extended cover. As far as we understand, Toyota is applying the stated limits  rigidly.

Has the dealer said how much he would buy the car back for?

Also have a look at the new Consumer Rights Act - 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Frosty.

I went through that post many times for buying the SR180. I was really hoping it was one or the other and not both; I really wanted to keep the car however i'm still hoping for a new engine (which i know probably won't come through).

The guy said he'll buy the car back full price, and after reading the link you sent me, he better deliver. (thanks for the link)

Do you know of anyone who's gotten a new engine under warranty (in or out). Is there anything which can help my cause?

A few across the Auris/Avensis/Rav4 ranges have had replacements whilst their vehicle has been within the goodwill cover, but I haven't come across anyone who has been successful when the vehicle has gone beyond the cover.

Think what you have to bear in mind is that the goodwill cover provided by Toyota was generous, and more than most other manufacturers would have provided.

Yeah you're right; it's extremely generous. I was really surprised to hear that they've acknowledged the problem as well as to provide the extended warranty. It's just a real shame it's happened to me, very frustrating indeed.

I'll see what happens and i'll update you on their reply if you want?

Yes please, and don't forget there may be other suitable Toyotas out there ....

No problem. It'll be interesting to see what they say.

I know there's plenty out there; it's just really disappointing. Took me a month to find this car, i haven't found any other Auris as good as this one. It has all the features of the T180 (sunroof, automatic everything and keyless entry) while it has the styling of the SR180. The engine is fantastic too paired with the long gears. fantastic for cruising!

Thanks for replying Frosty; I'll get back to you whenever i hear from Mr.T.

On 2/9/2016 at 9:33 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes please, and don't forget there may be other suitable Toyotas out there ....

Hi Frosty just an update..

My dad was a Lexus sales manager for over a decade so still had some friends over there. They submitted a job card for the new engine etc but was declined after 1 day waiting. (dammit)

As said, i emailed Toyota GB as well; i'm still waiting for their reply personally to me so there's still 0.0001% chance i might get something. I got the car for £3,150 and my budget was £4,000 so i don't mind paying the difference to a bill though i know it's highly unlikely i'll get anything at all etc.

If i may pick your brain.. What's your opinions on this vehicle? (yes it's another SR180) http://goo.gl/xsL15H  Thanks in advanced.

The cost of fixing /replacing that engine properly is over £5k. I know that you love the car that you bought but if you can get your money back on it, I would.

As to the other one, it's a private seller so no comeback if you discover that it also has issues. You would need to ask about whether it has had a replacement engine, check it for any signs of the potential problem etc. . 

I knew it'd be a lot!

Yeah thats what i'm worried about (private seller). If the engine goes wrong i'm basically stuffed! I'm a Student do i can't afford that kinda loss. 

To be honest i think i'm just going completely mad about the bl***y car; I need to get it off my mind.. It's just so much better than the Corolla T-Sport. I need to settle down and get out of the whole 'buy a car right now' mentality.

Would you have any recommendations on other engines on the Auris? 

Thanks you for the reply Heidfirst. 

The problems with the AD series diesel head/head gasket issue are that:

a) they cost so much to fix properly - it isn't just a case of replacing the gasket as it doesn't resolve the underlying cause

b ) you can't predict which ones will suffer. The risk seems to increase with more power & yes, it's very small nos. but if you get a bad 'un it is back to a) - they cost so much to fix!

I am getting on for being an old codger & my needs/wants have changed since i was a youth. :tongue: I would seriously consider a hybrid but that probably isn't for you.

If you are looking at older cars on a budget then any modern turbo-diesel is a risk long term as they have so many parts (turbo, DMF, DPF, injectors etc.) that are at risk & expensive to replace.

There has not been any obvious performance Toyotas for a generation. :(

• Like 1

A Toyota dealer may be able to confirm whether it has had a replacement engine.

The 2.0 litre diesel can Alsop be affected by the same issues as the 2.2. The 1.4 diesel can have issues, albeit different to the 2.0/2.2.

The 1.4, 1.33 and 1.6 petrols seem problem-free. Depending what is important to you, of these, the 1.33 offers the best economy and the 1.6 reasonable performance. 

• Like 1

From what I've read online they require new head and block and different pistons etc. Very expensive indeed! 

And that's what scares me; you can't predict which ones are going to fail. It's not like it's a water pump either which can be changed or easily delt with, it's a pretty serious issue!

Haha everyone's needs and wants change as they get older :tongue: im only 21 and I feel like I need to slow dow! After having the Corolla t sport with the 190HP at hand for 6 months I feel like I've gone past that 'boy racer' stage already! Not that I was in it; I just wanted a fast, reasonably economical car. If driven easy I got 40 mpg as well as cheaper insurance comparing to my first car, a 1.3 turbo diesel Vauxhal Corsa C!

You're right though. Modern diesels are complicated with many parts which operate at huge pressures comparing to petrol. The corsa was a pain.. so many issues.. I'm glad I'm handy otherwise repair costs would've been through the roof..

To be honest though Heid. I'd love a hybrid. I really really would but being a 21 year old student my budget doesn't stretch that far.. My hands are tied.. I don't want a small diesel as I feel that they are overworked, and also because of bad experience with the Corsa.. I don't want a big petrol because of appalling fuel economy.. I want a nice Turbo diesel with the power of high high performance petrol (experiences with the T sport) and lovely low end torque etc but I don't want the complications that come with the 2.2 lump. I love the Auris.. especially since I saw what's on offer by Vauxhal and Ford with the astra and focus etx. I'm obviously hugely boasted to toyota/ lexus since my dad worked with them for over 10 years.

Anyways, onto frosty.

I've heard of people having their replacement engine blow their head gasket also. If memory serves me correctly this was only on a 3/4 build engine and not the ones shipped from Japan (supposedly). Like you said as well, the 2.0 gets hit by this fault from time to time as well.

I might have to go for the 1.6 but it hasn't got a 6th gear. I'm used to the short gears on the T Sport. 1K rpm to 20 mph; the Auris 2.2 is double that! That being said I don't know the ratios of the 1.6's box.

I don't do a whole lot of motorway cruising but when I do it needs to be quite and comfortable with the ability to cruise easily at a reasonable speed without sacrificing quality.. the one thing the 2.2 does exceedingly well. The T sport is plagued by noise and I really can't deal with it. I sound old wanting a quite car, getting away from the stupidly fast cars and wanting peace in my life haha.

Sorry this reply was extremely long.

8 minutes ago, lilpopjim said:

I might have to go for the 1.6 but it hasn't got a 6th gear. I'm used to the short gears on the T Sport. 1K rpm to 20 mph; the Auris 2.2 is double that! That being said I don't know the ratios of the 1.6's box.

The Auris 1.6 Dual VVti did have a five speed gearbox. However the 1.6 Valvematic that was introduced in April 2009 had Toyota's Optimal Drive efficiency improvements (power was also up slightly from 124bhp to 132bhp), and a six speed gearbox.

That's probably my best option to be honest.

I wonder if my budget will stretch that far! 

As it's 2009 would that place it in the facelift trim?

Edit: what trim level would have the auto lights/ wipers and keyless entry and start. Did the petrol ones come with cruise control?

The T-Spirit would have those toys including cruise. The facelift went on sale early 2010 - February I think - so a proportion of 09 and 59 registered Auris would be pre-facelift Optimal Drive cars.

Ah okay, sounds good. I'll consider the T Spirit Valvematic. Initial prices scare me though; they seem pretty pricey compared to the older VVT engines. I still want the SR180 though (god dammit). Similar MPG and a lot more power. What's wrong with me haha.