Do Not Sell My Personal Information

disc brakes

drew69

I have a aygo expression that's just done 11k. after hearing grinding I took it to Toyota . they say the discs need replacing, this cant be normal .

would like to know if anybody else is having the same problems. as they say its up to me to pay for new pads and discs. any advice on this matter would help

greatly so I can determine if this is a problem with parts quality .

Have they said why you need new discs and pads ?

Moved to the Aygo club.

as it is now the pads are fine . they say the discs are worn and need replacing, and yet I have not gone threw 1 set of pads yet

Usually with any manufacturer brake discs are only covered under the new car warranty for a limited time as for the last few years since the removal of asbestos from pad material, the discs are seen as a wear and tear item. For example Volkswagen only cover discs for six months.

It depends what type of usage they've had as regards how quickly they wear.

Could always ask whether the discs can be skimmed, or take it to another Toyota dealer for a second opinion. Think I would also have new pads fitted as well.

Discs and pads replacement are covered under Toyota's Fixed Price Repairs, so if you do need them replaced make sure they are priced according to this scheme - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/repairs.json

32 minutes ago, drew69 said:

I have a aygo expression that's just done 11k. after hearing grinding I took it to Toyota . they say the discs need replacing, this cant be normal .

would like to know if anybody else is having the same problems. as they say its up to me to pay for new pads and discs. any advice on this matter would help

the only thing i can think of is that the discs have a large lip around the outside and maybe touching the steel backing of the pad,this would give you the grinding noise

your hearing. do you have any photos of the disc that you could post.

I don't , there is a lip on the discs . the pads are fine and just find it strange that the pads should out last the discs.

and need replacing already . this wasn't an issue on the old aygo .

The son of our next door neighbour had to have new discs and pads at the first service (@7 months and 11,000 miles) and at the second service (@14 months and 22,000) due to 'blueing' (overheating) on their 11 reg Polo, which they had from new. VW replaced the first set under goodwill, but not the second set.

surely this isn't normal . I had my first aygo for 3 years and never had to replace pads or discs . so there seems to be a problem with the new 1.

Much depends on how the car is driven. Some use brakes much less than others. Some screech up to every junction and brake very hard. Others almost coast to a stop. With 28 years in the car trade I've seen it all! 

55 minutes ago, drew69 said:

Is it the 4 discs they say need replacing or just the back or front? If it's the back then they tend to sticky up because they don't get used as much as the front on low milers with light usage. On mine when (or if) I wash it I take it for a run and apply the handbrake two or three times to dry the rear brakes out before retiring for the rest of the day with a can of beeer. If you don't use your brakes much at all you should try applying the foot brake lightly say when approaching a junction but keep the accelerator pressed A WEE BIT. Get some heat and friction into the brakes, cleans them up a treat.

in all my years of driving I have never had to change the discs, think it is more down to cheap materials. and thinner discs.

I have been to 3 other main dealers of other car companies and they have all said the same , the discs shouldn't wear before the pads .

2 minutes ago, drew69 said:

in all my years of driving I have never had to change the discs, think it is more down to cheap materials. and thinner discs.

I have been to 3 other main dealers of other car companies and they have all said the same , the discs shouldn't wear before the pads .

The current Aygo has been on sale for 18 months or so, and this is the first report of needing new discs. Nothing either on the C1 owners club.

Don't see why you're asking main dealers of other marques, as they're probably not that au fait with the second generation Aygo, their opinion would hardly be impartial and you'd be better off consulting an independent who hasn't seen it as a possibility of a new sale.

have done that to , and have seen many people saying the same thing. brake discs wearing out between 9 to 11k . so this seems to be a problem.

and seen as the new aygo is bigger than the old 1 the braking system should be better.

In fact the second generation Aygo/C1/108 are based on the first generation Aygo/C1/107. The second generation is 35mm longer, 5mm higher and the same width. Kerb weight is between 5kg and 20kg heavier. So not a large difference in terms of size.

Why not raise the issue on Toyota's UK blog - http://blog.toyota.co.uk/

Modern discs & pads wear very quickly.

Treat them more as a service item.

I drive my Aygo "Gently" but replaced the original discs / pads at 24000miles.
These were replaced with EBC black pads and discs. My Aygo is now 9 years old and these too are about to be replaced at 57000miles.

This time I will try Mintex pads & discs. Only about £60.00 and a morning to fit them carefully & properly.

£60.00 for 4 years of bringing a car to a stop reliably in all weathers is very inexpensive I think.

Modern discs rust incredibly quickly (overnight) if parked up wet or in a damp place.

Ian.

• Like 1

Discs always showed signs of rust overnight. Couple of dabs on the pedal, all gone. Can help to get rid of the very highly polished effect. Regards.