Do Not Sell My Personal Information

best yaris??

bobcat

Hi,

I am looking to buy a yaris for the wife soon. She only covers low mileage and mostly local runs.

I am a big diesel fan, but am a bit concerned with modern diesels, unless they are used regularly on longer journeys with all 'eco friendly' bits fitted these days they just get clogged up.

I am therefore thinking a petrol yaris..I have driven a few yaris 1.0's years ago, (2001 - 2005 models) and always considered them to be quite nippy and fun to drive.

A few questions then to current owners:

1 - Am i correct on my thoughts about diesel in yaris format for our intended use

2 - Is the 1.0 litre engine more reliable/as good as the 1.3 (i have heard some negatives about the 1.3)

3 - which model year is the best? i have seen a few good examples in the 1.0 engine around 2003/2004 for between £2500 - £3000 which seems like a lot of money, and you can get much newer 2012 models for around £6000. Any preference between the different model years??

4 - I am not interested in the models with stop/start technology, but I think that is only on the 1.3's? and I also have heard about dodgy gearchanges on the 1.3, does that also affect the 1.0?

Thanks in advance

Bob

The second generstion Yaris (2006-2011) had the same 1.3 engine as the first generation until March 2009. In March 2009, the new 1.33 engine with stop/start replaced the 1.3. 

The third generation Yaris (2011 onwards) retained the 1.33, but the stop/start system was deleted on cost reasons.

We have had three 1.3 Yaris, a 2001 auto, 2006 manual and a 2008 manual. All 3 have had no engine or gearbox problems. The 2008 one has approaching 80000 on the clock and the 2001 had 60000 before someone shunted it up the back and wrote it off !!

our neighbour had an old T reg 1 litre, 120000 on the clock when they swapped it for another Yaris. No problems but they did say it was a bit lacking in power, not unsurprisingly

I have recently moved to a 2014 Yaris. Might be a bit newer than what you are looking at but in regards to the 1.33 engine of this year it's a great little engine with enough power for town driving and even motorway as it quickly gets up to speed.

I opted for the petrol also due to the issues that can come of using a diesel for town driving. No issues present, it's a nice drive that's cheap to run and is perfect for town driving. My only problem is my heavy foot! I can get some great MPG if I lay off the accelerator.

2003/2004 cars should be under a grand, and can be picked up at auction for a couple of hundred quid, please don't buy one of them at £2500-£3000.

Buying one about 3 years old will still have manufacturers warranty until it turns 5 years old, and someone else has taken the 'big hit' on the depreciation.  It should also be a good car for the next 5-10 years.

And yes you're correct about a petrol being better suited for local short trips than a diesel.

4 hours ago, alan333 said:

And yes you're correct about a petrol being better suited for local short trips than a diesel.

The 1.5 hybrid HSD is even better but didn't arrive until 2012. Mine never does less than 50mpg on a tank and most of my journeys are very short local ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eyemdee said:

The 1.5 hybrid HSD is even better but didn't arrive until 2012. Mine never does less than 50mpg on a tank and most of my journeys are very short local ones.

That matches our usage mostly with our Yaris HSD and would totally agree with that recommendation. Excellent car. Can't speak highly enough for it!

Thanks for all the opinions. I think I will go for a newer Yaris then, if they are as good as the original model, and yes a 3 year old model makes sense, as it has some warranty left.

In terms of the 1.0 V the 1.3 I guess we would just test drive both, and see if we notice a difference.

The hybrid is likley to be a bit expensive, and once we buy a 3year old mode, I intend keeping it for around 10 years so the hybrid could start costing lots of money in later years if the electrical side of things goes a bit pear shaped.

Thanks again

the traction Battery on the Hybrid can be under warranty for up to 11 years if you get it checked annually by a toyota dealer (free as part of a service or at a cost as a standalone option). They appear to be very reliable.

17 hours ago, bobcat said:

The hybrid is likley to be a bit expensive, and once we buy a 3year old mode, I intend keeping it for around 10 years so the hybrid could start costing lots of money in later years if the electrical side of things goes a bit pear shaped.

Its very unlikely however, they're basically bullet proof, and if keeping for a decade would be your best choice over all for lower running costs in my opinion.

On 15/02/2016 at 2:02 PM, MEP's Yaris GS said:

Its very unlikely however, they're basically bullet proof, and if keeping for a decade would be your best choice over all for lower running costs in my opinion.

I agree. You only have to read Honest John's comments about the Prius, which uses exactly the same drivetrain. The most reliable drivetrain on the road today, which is why most second hand Prius's are snapped up by taxi drivers. Many have done hundreds of thousand miles on their original batteries.

• 2 weeks later...

Don`t forget, the hybrid is free road tax (my auris hsd is) so the can add up to a considerable amount over 10 years. Buying and older yaris would make sense if you keep it for 2 or 3 years, but wear and tear will start to cost you money and reliability will become an issue. 

Our 2003 Yaris D4D - which we have owned since 2005   - just passed its MOT this morning with no issues.

Apart from front disks and pads, Battery, tyres and front anti roll bar bushes, it is entirely original - original exhaust, drive belts and all bulbs...Oh and a replacement heater control resistor..

Not bad for a 13 year old car..

• Like 1

Yup, same story here! The Yaris Mk1 D4D is truly an exceptional car!

With all this uncertainty with diesel regs on the horizon I have been looking around to see what I could replace it with, but there is literally no car out there that can be had for that sort of cost with that sort of reliability and feature set!

And it's still a blast to drive too :naughty:

i will go with cyker and madasafish

i bought my wife a d4d in 2005 at under 5000 miles now the car is up over 130000 miles 

new disc pads at 100,000 miles new battery after 10 years of age 

anti roll bar bushes 4 sets (prone for these) 

cracking little car passes mot no problem everytime (so far) 

apart from routine servicing no problems 

cannot see the point in changing it as it has been so reliable

car mainly used for journeys on a1 dual carriageway not many short journeys