Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shall i save up for a Hybrid?

lilpopjim

That's what i'm struggling to understand..

I've heard that the as the head and block expand and contract during the cooling and heating of the engine; the movement can cause the gasket to 'shuffle'.  This is my opinion on it: As the gasket 'shuffles' or moves, it'll rub away at the metal on the head and block which can make an ever so slight depression which will make more gases push out into this depression causing more damage. to the gasket. But this isn't definitive it's just what i think will happen.

For those who like sporting versions of cars, I would have thought that the 1.8 2ZR-FAE engine would have been a good alternative to the diesel. In other markets the Auris came with this great engine, which I think is better than the 1ZR - more power and torque, yet the same emissions, even in the heavier Avensis. In the Auris it would give a reasonable performance without the complications of the diesel fixings. It is so far a reliable engine too. UK did not bring this combo in!

A version of this engine is used in the Toyota hybrids including the Auris.

Look at the Wiki on the Auris and the engines that were fitted in other markets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Auris

• 4 weeks later...

So, did you get your car fixed in the end Lewis?

Hi lilpopjim, just read through the saga of your problem. Although you are paying £350 towards the repair has the 'dealer' said how long the repair will be guaranteed for?

On your original Question, should you save up for a Hybrid, I am now on my second pre-owned Hybrid, the first being a Prius T Spirit which was a great car, good handling and comfortable and for my hobby, I could get a 3 metre length of Picture moulding in the car without having to cut it down. I have just part-Ex'd it for an Auris Hybrid Excel on a 13 plate. Gosh it's like buying a new piece of computer software and having to get use to all the commands. Only done one long journey with it so far and not really calculated the mpg, but the multiscreen says about 53.8mpg, which I didn't think was bad seeing that I traveled the whole length of the M11 twice at around 70mph, well when traffic allowed. 
I like the PWR button which gives instant speed for overtaking, I thought the Prius was quick if you pushed the throttle to the floor, but is beaten with this car.
Yes I love the Hybrids especially when the Road License is £0; the Prius was a very steep £10 and I had to save up from my pension for that .....haha. Plus, the insurance was cheaper than the Prius!
But I couldn't persuade my partner to have a Yaris Hybrid, she wanted to stay with what she knew, a Yaris Automatic, but the one she went for was the multi Drive, she is happy with it though, which in the end, if you like the way the car handles and you like the spec, why change? for me though it was because the vehicle was showing it's age under the makeup and foundation, getting a bit rusty under the boot mats.

Hope you get your vehicle sorted soon though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My old car was Auris 2.0 diesel. It has the same engine damage with 98000 km on the clock. Toyota replace the whole engine and after that, I drove 40000 km, without problems.

Now I have new face-lift Auris Hybrid. I must say, it is fantastic! It is so silent and the eCVT is spectacular in urban drive.

I do not belive, your engine can be fixed by replacing only the head gasket... The cylinder head require inspections and machinery.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links