Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

interior light relay?avensu

paulsos

I recently purchased a 2001 Avensis but have f ound a problem that i didnt realise exiated when i bought the car. The interior light does not come on when i open any of the doors (yes, it is switched over to the right setting) but does work on the stand alone switch. is there a relay or something similar that needs replacing??  If so,is it a difficult job? Or is there another reason why this is at fault??

Edited by paulsos
forgot to tick notify me of replies box

Hi paulsos,

Welcome to the club. I have a simiar problem but found that the rubber plug thing that gets depressed with the door is closed to turn the light off/on had worn.

it might be an idea to shake that rubber switch with your hand and see if the light comes on. It worked on mine.

Just as a precaution. Check your fuses.

Regards,

Waqar

The door switch/button  can suffer from corrosion. It's a simple case of unbolting (10mm socket) and removing the switch. The hidden contact is attached to some cabling and you may find some rust which needs scraping off.  

I would have suspected that but it doesnt come on when ANY of the doors are opened. Which led me to think that there was another component that wasnt working. If only one switch is faulty, would this stop every door switch to stop working??

No it wouldn't but it's not outside the realm of possibility that switches on doors are faulty

Sent from my Xperia SP using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Have you checked the fuse as suggested earlier? 

Didn't bother as when i switch over to stand-alone light it comes on - cant think that there is a separate fuse for the doors. Weather permitting, i will check the door switches tomorrow I dont have a garage, so everything has to be done outside.

it's quite possible that there is only 1 door switch, I am sure that Toyota have done that before.

Checked door switches - they all seem okay - any other ideas? 

If the switches are working the only other option is the dome light fitting itself. The switch makes or breaks the light circuit. It may be faulty. You should be able to check wiring continuity with a multimeter before you bin the light fitting though. They come up on eBay regularly for around £10 or so. 

With any or all doors open, does the door opening warning light on dash illuminate? This would help eliminate the door switches. The Dome use effects other items like interior light, and it is working.

I would change interior light fitting, as the contacts on the door position may have worn. If you have an electric multimeter, you can test the current by removing the light fitting and check the current at the plug. With the door open you will know if there is current. I changed my interior light fitting.

Here is a link to a similar issue with the dome light:

The integration relay will be very expensive, unless you get one from a breakers. It is close to the interior fuse box near the pedals. There are relays located on the same panel. 

I will go for the faulty light switch.

• Like 1

Many thanks Konrad C, that is very useful as is the article you directed me to. As usual, when i want to get something done - someone always needs my help all flipping day. intend to try breakers to see if they have anything similar in stock (noticed from the post that its not only the Avensis that has this light fitting, so going to have a mooch around. I already have a multimeter so hopefully will be able to check rather than getting the garage to do it (mega money).Will let you know the outcome. Once again, many thanks.

Paul, I think a lot of Toyotas used the same design, with only the colour being the difference. 

Try not to short anything as it will blow the 7.5a "Dome" fuse in the engine bay fuse box. 

• 1 month later...

Finally, had the time and weather to get something done. Tried several breakers, no Toyota's. Yesterday found one that had an old yaris with the same light fitting which i removed and claimed (cost me £2.00) checked today and found power not running to interior light when doors open - found and eventually opened the panel at lower drivers side, found that a run of wires were pinched by the panel. moved them out of the way and then checked that all the connections were properly engaged. Voile!!! the light now works.

Many thanks for your help guys - saved me a heap of money and resolved the problem. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi people.. I have read and check many webs or forums (also this one) but I cannot find solution.

There is a problem with dome light on my avensis t25 130kW since I tried to change bulb for a new one and shortcutted wires. After I changed DOME fuse, DOME ligh stopped working when doors are open. (light works when it is switched to ON position) Without bulb I can see 12V on connector but when bulb is placed, there is less than 3V and the light is really low. I tried to find where is the source of the ligh dimmer but it leads me only to integration relay I14 (A). Then I checked which pin is the one comming from the dome light and found it.  It is located on pin number 10 (or maybe 27) on DA connector on the 2nd attached picture. From this pin on the other site of the connector, there is another wire leading somewhere under the steering wheel in a big bunch of cables. 

My question is: Where is the source of voltage for the DOME light located or what do you suggest to try to check? According to electr. schemes I read, I am already hopeless. 

Many thanks for any of your advices. :)

image.thumb.png.51b782ed38616bc33e47a516b069060a.png

image.thumb.png.e9519a9b277a1fc1a967163559274e6a.png

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links