Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remote/ Central Locking

ringaround

Here is one for you knowledgeable Corolla owners, had a 2004  1.4 Corolla for several years now, just gone over 1000,000 runs the same as the day i bought it, few dings and scratches now, but as second car and utterly reliable no probs, except for   a weird fault which first appeared about 4 years ago, suddenly the remote locking and the clock stopped working, not all that weird you might say, but while the clock never worked again the remote locking  is season dependant, about April time it will start working again, ok through summer Oct stops again??????????? same for last few years ( Somewhat annoying) when its in a bad mood you have to unlock the door with a key and press the rocker switch on the door to unlock rest of car, oddly when you lock it it central locks.  ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is the clock giving any display or totally blank ?

Its powered by both the Dome and Cig fuses, so if they are ok, then the clock module is likely faulty.

Central locking, have you changed / cleaned the keys Battery /  holder, the cold damper weather might be lowering the voltage below  working , but the warmer times get it above ..?

Thanks oldcodger, clock displays and you can adjust it but it does not move, cig lighter works, keys checked, suspect temp does have a bearing on the prob , but i think it may be on the cpu, but then it still does it when the car is warm  (Engine and Interior)  also why would it  centrally lock with the key but not centrally unlock ?? it is an odd one, the local Toyota Main Dealer could not help without suggesting we changed the CPU and keys, which would not guarantee to cure the prob, and you can imagine the cost.?????????????

You could have a look in the ecu etc as it sounds very much like a bad connection  or dry solder joint etc.

On general electronic stuuf where it seems a temp related fault you could use an air duster /freezer spray and a hair dryer to try in pin point the troblesome area.

Though you may fix things , there is also a chance you will make is worse or even a total fail of the whole car ...!

Think just using the keys to physically lock the car might be the best option .. ?

Thanks for the input, as an old time Post Office/BT engineer the dry joint is a familiar concept and i had thought its possible the PCB is changing shape with the temp. As the ECU appears to be the first thing on the production line and the rest of the car built around it, i had come to the same conclusion re keys, but always worth a punt to see if anyone has had same probs, just a vain hope it might be programming, you know the open the door , switch the ignition on and off , shut the door, stand on your head and blow the hooter regime.  Thanks anyway, will just wait for spring. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links