Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2d avensis wont rev

j4nwa

Ive got a problem with my 2008 2.2d avensis, it just wont rev or does ever so slightly, fault code says camshaft sensor circuit fault, i replaced the sensor with one from a friends identical car & made no differance, fit a new one anyway & still the same, checked pulse in wiring to ecu & alls fine, sent ecu away to be tested & thats fine, gave up & sent to toyota dealers who basically tried allsorts themselves then suggested "an engine strip down to see if they could find anything wrong" but couldnt explain what they were hoping to find, so i had the car picked up & brought back to my house, the car is mint done 100k just banging my head against the wall with it now, so would be grateful of any ideas, thanks all

Have you looked at your throttle body and checked the functionality of all things related from the gas pedal to the engine.

Regards,

Waqar

Sent from my Xperia SP using Tapatalk

When you clear the fault code then start it up, it starts & revs freely then eng man light comes on & back to not revving again, sometimes it wont start at all as tho it does have a faulty crank or cam sensor but both have been changed, crank it again & starts strait away just wont rev

I would recommend that one of the sensors is faulty on your car. it might not be the one that you are changing. Also Checking the fault code when engine is cold and warm will make a difference to what code comes out. It certainly did on mine. When i disconnected my camshaft position sensor while my engine was cold, it took a few attempts to get it going. I checked the fault code and it wasnt about camshaft position sensor, it was about something else i cant remember, however, once the car had warmed up, it came up with the correct code which I knew was relevant as I had personally disconnected my camshaft sensor(i was trying to diagnose a noise with my car). 

So I would say that check the fault codes carefully.

Also can you post the fault code(s) that comes up.

Regards,

Waqar

What about fuel pressure? The car is not getting the correct fuel when the revs go higher. Also check something called the SCV.

I used to say check the MAF sensor, but engines seem different these days.

May be the following might give you some pointers:  

If you friend is accommodating, try a few more parts test.

Diesels are complex, and hopefully you will find the fault. 

9 hours ago, waqar_lionheart said:

I would recommend that one of the sensors is faulty on your car. it might not be the one that you are changing. Also Checking the fault code when engine is cold and warm will make a difference to what code comes out. It certainly did on mine. When i disconnected my camshaft position sensor while my engine was cold, it took a few attempts to get it going. I checked the fault code and it wasnt about camshaft position sensor, it was about something else i cant remember, however, once the car had warmed up, it came up with the correct code which I knew was relevant as I had personally disconnected my camshaft sensor(i was trying to diagnose a noise with my car). 

So I would say that check the fault codes carefully.

Also can you post the fault code(s) that comes up.

Regards,

Waqar

Yeh its been picked up today & gone to the garage, gonna try that but the garage seem to think the timing could be out hence giving the cam sensor fault code so gonna check the chain, if thats feasable

Ok keep us posted mate.

Regards,

Waqar

Just spoke to mechanic & he said after visual inspection looks like the timing marks are correct, not sure if cranks free rolling or keyed, but is it possible to spin slightly enough to still run but be out enough to bring up the cam sensor fault?????

What you are describing as a really unlikely situation. I think you should look at fault codes more closely.

Regards,

Waqar

• 1 month later...

Just incase anyones interested, everyone including toyota main dealers gave up on my car so as i only get thursdays off work its took me a while to get round to it, anyway i decided last week to take top cover off my engine to get to my timing chain when i did it seemed to have excess play in it, so then decided to strip the side cover off & looked like the tentioner had sumhow gone back in & had stuck in due to the ratchet mechanism, i pulled the guide back, twisted the piston on the tentioner & its popped back out taking the slack out of the chain, ordered a new chain kit & set about it today, got it all built back up (not the easiest job ive ever done) turned the key & it started & revd sweet as a nut, happy days

Why toyota cudnt take an hour of there time to remove the top of my engine to check the chain is beyond me, rather than fitting umpteen differant parts then expect me to pay for there incompetance which didnt happen, suppose morrel of the story is, just because a computer says that a sensor is at fault doernt neccesarily mean its faulty, could be something else wrong that causing that fault to show up:-/

• Like 1

Well it's good news that it's all fixed and up and running again, and thanks for updating on the forum.  Maybe a rather uncommon fault you had with the tensioner, making it rather elusive to track down.   Well done  :smile:

Going back thirty or so years the timing chain tensioner on Toyota cars which were carefully driven used to stick as the oil pressure which operated them never got high enough to push the tensioner out, the answer back then was a good sound thrashing until the chain stopped rattling. Worked every time ;-).

Pleased you have it sorted, but it is a sign of the times, unless the computer tells the "technician" what the fault is they are stuffed, when cars were simpler and we had mechanic's who could listen to an engine and find the faults life was easier. Happy days.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links