Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternator removal

Scouser61

How difficult is it to replace knackered alternator on my 2.5 Hilux 2008? Cheers

Quite easy, you will need a long bar and 14mm socket to release the tension from the belt and refit it but otherwise quite straightforward.  Remember Battery disconnection first

Did it today, took just over an hour. Much easier by taking front o/s wheel off and inner plastic splash guard. Gives easy access to lower mounting bolt. When tensioner released also found it much better to take off the pulley wheel above the alternator to access the other mounting bolt. 

However even with new alternator the batteries do not seem to be charging with all the dash lights coming on progressively as the Battery discharges. Any idea what else I should try and in what order?

• 3 years later...

Hello my son bogged his 2001 Toyota 4x4 hi lux over night with the water level with his floor mats.He tried for hours trying to get it out until the Battery started to go flat.He had the car running all through this.Had to stop sand turn the engine off.Got pulled out next morning and had to swap Battery.He never washed anything drove a hour home and since then the car doesn't charge .Should i take the alternator out and clean if so i can not find a video  showing how to do this on a hilux 5 ltr diesel any ideas would be much appreciated                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Regards David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links