Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

auris hybrid vibration

nashy55

Hi

I recently purchased a 64 plate 2014 Auris hybrid estate with 9000 on the clock. When i test drove it and drove it home which was 100 odd miles it was a refined smooth quiet ride. less than a month on it seems to have developed a vibration through the car in all speeds. I have had all the tyres re balanced and pressures checked but no difference. My local main dealer are checking it next week but i was wondering if anyone had experienced similar in their car or are there any known issues with these cars that may cause this problem..The ride quality now has gone out the window and it has become unpleasant to drive now.

any help appreciated

Cheers

Colin

Hello Colin - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

As far as I'm aware, nothing similar has been subject to discussion on the forum.

Hello Colin

I have the same, my Auris Hybrid has 38k on the clock and is a dog to drive.

The ride quality is terrible, it actually bangs over every bump in the road, the steering always seems out and you fight with the steering wheel in your hands.

If you drive in a straight line, take hands of the steering wheel, the wheel turns to the left by itself and especially when you brake, you have to fight with the wheel as it constantly wants to turn itself left and right.

I have to take it to Kwik Fit every few weeks as the tracking constantly goes out and they have told me that the rear wheel is out and cannot be fixed so it feels like its pushing the rear of the car to the right I have not hit any kerbs and because of the poor ride quality, I try and stay clear of pot holes.

Im forever pulling the car back into a straight line while driving and when I reverse, even while using the lines on the camera, it never reverses straight.

When pulling into a car parking space, I feel that the car is straight while I sit in the drivers seat but when I get out, the car is always on a scue between the lines.

This has been the case since 10k miles and tell Toyota at every service, they don't do anything about it, I don't think they even test drive it.

Luckily it is a company car, I drive many miles for the company but just don't enjoy driving the car and it rarely moves from outside my house at weekends.

My company are going back to Golfs now so I honestly cannot wait for Sept to come and give this dog back.

cheers

Sean

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hello Colin - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

As far as I'm aware, nothing similar has been subject to discussion on the forum.

I'm hoping they find something otherwise i'll be gutted after paying over 15k for a car that i don't like driving after a month. I traded in a fiesta which was very smooth to drive but i needed a bigger car. I wouldn't have expected that the Auris with it's size, would be any less in ride comfort but unfortunately it has become so. Fingers crossed.

Apart from that and a couple of small things like the annoying reverse bleep which i understand can be turned off, and the sound quality of the audio system which is not the best...It's a Lovely car...

The reason i went for one of these is that my daughter had just bought one which i was really impressed with. Hers is a Hatchback though and is far superior in ride comfort than mine even though they are the same spec, year and have similar milage.

What size wheels/tyres do you have?

estates tend to have their suspension designed in the expectation that there will be some weight carried in the back & usually settle down if you do.

If you are getting a vibration you will probably find that something, somewhere will be out of balance/true.

No offence but Auris gen 2 are horrible cars, they have kind of design flaw which Toyota will never accept it. Yes, they vibrate very badly, I had experienced this trouble and learned my lesson: not all Toyotas are good. Noise in the cabin plus vibration fell through the pedals steering wheel and seats, not only uncomfortable but even not safe to drive these cars. My one was 13 reg Auris 1.4 diesel and i thought was because of the Diesel engine but then I found reviews on auto trader a man with 1.6 petrol Airis had complain of the same problems. I returned my car on the very same day, lost some cash but at least no problems anymore, this issue is there because of the suspension and low profile tyres, which also makes the car feel like going to the left and to the right when slowing down, and pulls to the left or right depends of the surface incline . These are all well known issues with this model but many people don't pay attention and that's why they are few complains. My advice is if you want a diesel car get a golf and if you about a hybrid just get a Prius. I will stay away from those Auris gen 2. 

3 hours ago, tonino said:

No offence but Auris gen 2 are horrible cars, they have kind of design flaw which Toyota will never accept it. Yes, they vibrate very badly, I had experienced this trouble and learned my lesson: not all Toyotas are good. Noise in the cabin plus vibration fell through the pedals steering wheel and seats, not only uncomfortable but even not safe to drive these cars. My one was 13 reg Auris 1.4 diesel and i thought was because of the Diesel engine but then I found reviews on auto trader a man with 1.6 petrol Airis had complain of the same problems. I returned my car on the very same day, lost some cash but at least no problems anymore, this issue is there because of the suspension and low profile tyres, which also makes the car feel like going to the left and to the right when slowing down, and pulls to the left or right depends of the surface incline . These are all well known issues with this model but many people don't pay attention and that's why they are few complains.  

The second generation Auris are based on the first generation and even carried forward the Type Approval from 2007 - so mechanically the two generations are very similar.

Well, I agree they are very similar, however the second gen is worse then the first one and it's a pure example of how car manufacturers has lowered the quality of the new cars, not only Toyota but all. 

As regards the Auto Trader reviews the 2007-2010 Auris gained an overrall 4.5 out of 5, the 2010-2013 Auris 4.1 out of 5, the 2012-2015 4.4 out of 5, and the 2013-2015 Touring Sport 4.5 out of 5. There were no reviews as yet for the 2015 mid life facelift.

So owners reviews on Auto Trader don't seem to reflect your opinions.

Low profile tyres are known for providing poorer ride comfort, and this isn't just a Toyota issue. We had a Mazda 2 as a second car from new which had 16 inch alloys with 45 profile tyres - quite can unnecessary combination given the car's performance - and the ride quality was quite poor as a result. 

• Like 1

The review on autotrader is for the exactly same model Auris 2013-2015, and it's absolutely true, low profile tyres only contribute to the vibration and poor ride plus torque vectoring on acceleration and braking but it's not a main reason for the vibrations. In my case and the guy from autotrader cars were equipped with 16" wheels on 205/55 16 tyres, so no low profile tyres issue. This cars has a major problems but most of the people don't realise it because they don't drive them on motorways a lot. If you drive mostly in town you may never find out. 

Well it's been checked and as i feared "no fault found" apart from Tyre pressures all over the place. When i had the 4 wheels balanced a week previously the pressures were all meant to have been corrected then supposedly. So i have to admit that the actual ride is a lot better with the correct pressure but still getting the vibration which is really making the car unpleasant to drive. It's going back in next week for another issue under warranty so will ask them to check it again. Must say the dealer was very helpful but couldn't agree on the vibration.

When this vibrations coming, at low speed or speeds over 40mph? Can you feel them on any road surfaces or only on specific type of tarmac? Can't believe hybrids get vibrations? Also when you get this vibrations do you feel them through steering wheel, pedals, seats? What is the size of your tyres? Can you notice when car vibrates does you rear view mirror vibrates too so no clear view behind? 

6 hours ago, nashy55 said:

Well it's been checked and as i feared "no fault found" apart from Tyre pressures all over the place. When i had the 4 wheels balanced a week previously the pressures were all meant to have been corrected then supposedly. So i have to admit that the actual ride is a lot better with the correct pressure but still getting the vibration which is really making the car unpleasant to drive. It's going back in next week for another issue under warranty so will ask them to check it again. Must say the dealer was very helpful but couldn't agree on the vibration.

Presumably it wasn't the local Toyota dealer who balanced the wheels and checked the tyre pressures, and presumably the vibration issue isn't intermittent.

Your best approach would be to contact the dealer before your next booking, say that you're still not happy as regards the vibrations, and ask for a technician to ride in the car with you on the day of the booking. That way you can explain to the technician what you are experiencing, and they can get an idea if what is happening.

If the vibrations are intermittent, then the dealer cannot do anything unless, or until they experience the same, as they have no actual evidence that there could be a problem.

On 2/24/2016 at 2:28 AM, tonino said:

The review on autotrader is for the exactly same model Auris 2013-2015, and it's absolutely true, low profile tyres only contribute to the vibration and poor ride plus torque vectoring on acceleration and braking but it's not a main reason for the vibrations. In my case and the guy from autotrader cars were equipped with 16" wheels on 205/55 16 tyres, so no low profile tyres issue. This cars has a major problems but most of the people don't realise it because they don't drive them on motorways a lot. If you drive mostly in town you may never find out. 

I drive mine on motorways almost every day, no vibrations or issues whatsoever.

Surely if a car that new has a vibration then you take it to a Toyota dealer and get them to sort it under warranty.

I had 4 Prius 2 classic gen 3 and two Plus 2014 and 2015, plus Auris hsd gen 1 never had any vibrations all driven everywhere in any conditions. Then I went for an Auris diesel 1.4 gen 2 and that was my worst car experience ever. I am not joking but if that car has to past test for health environment will fail for sure. At speed of 65mph on M40 from Stradford upon Avon toward London that car vibrated so badly that even the rear view mirror was shaking and I didn't get a clear view behind, vibrations were very thin and sharp, similar to a massage chair:) , felt through steering wheel, pedals, and seat. I driven the car for around 50 miles and I fell sick, so returned to the dealer. Test drove it with the service manager and they noted the vibrations but said that this is normal for a diesel car (for which I disagree) and with the time I will get use to. What a joke, I was getting a car to drive 4k miles a month and I couldn't stay in after only 50 miles traveled!!!? Despite dealers were good people the car was a lemon and I refuse to take it home, so left it there. The car was checked and nothing wrong found. In fact there few more complaints on the net exactly the same issue on Auris gen 2 but with different drive trains which make me believe that not the engine but those cars have suspension and engine mountings problem. I have no trouble with the current Toyota I have but learned an expensive lesson. 

14 minutes ago, tonino said:

I had 4 Prius 2 classic gen 3 and two Plus 2014 and 2015, plus Auris hsd gen 1 never had any vibrations all driven everywhere in any conditions. Then I went for an Auris diesel 1.4 gen 2 and that was my worst car experience ever. I am not joking but if that car has to past test for health environment will fail for sure. At speed of 65mph on M40 from Stradford upon Avon toward London that car vibrated so badly that even the rear view mirror was shaking and I didn't get a clear view behind, vibrations were very thin and sharp, similar to a massage chair:) , felt through steering wheel, pedals, and seat. I driven the car for around 50 miles and I fell sick, so returned to the dealer. Test drove it with the service manager and they noted the vibrations but said that this is normal for a diesel car (for which I disagree) and with the time I will get use to. What a joke, I was getting a car to drive 4k miles a month and I couldn't stay in after only 50 miles traveled!!!? Despite dealers were good people the car was a lemon and I refuse to take it home, so left it there. The car was checked and nothing wrong found. In fact there few more complaints on the net exactly the same issue on Auris gen 2 but with different drive trains which make me believe that not the engine but those cars have suspension and engine mountings problem. I have no trouble with the current Toyota I have but learned an expensive lesson. 

Put this into context.

You're basing your judgement that the entire second generation has widespread suspension/vibration issues on less than one day's ownership/50 miles driven, one review on Auto Trader and posts from two members who have issues. 

The owner reviews on Auto Trader give the second generation Auris hatchback a score of 4.4 out of 5, and the Auris Touring Sport 4.5 out of 5. 

The Honest John reviews of both the second generation Auris hatchback and the Auris Touring Sport say the ride quality is good, and there is no mention of ride quality or vibrations in the Good/Bad sections.

There have been few complaints of vibrations on Toyota Owners Club .

This suggests that vibration issues are not widespread.

None of which is actually helping the original poster with their issue.

It seems like someone here has interest no one to say any true about bad points or potential big issues with Toyota models. I may have only few posts in your forum but this doesn't make me less experienced in cars than anyone else here or any car reviewer out there. Oops, forgot to mention that Toyota cars build in UK are not as good as the Toyota build in Japan, and all real Toyota fans know that:) 

Wish you good luck. 

On the contrary, it doesn't make any difference whether members are critical or favourable in their remarks regarding Toyotas, wherever they are built. What does matter is whether people have evidence to support their remarks, and as I have already highlighted, evidence in support of your opinion is lacking to say the least.

• Like 2

The vibration can be felt through the seat at all speeds. the dealer i purchased the car from has said that if i get no joy from my local dealer then i can take it back to them to see if they can diagnose any problem so we shall see what happens. 

On 2/25/2016 at 7:46 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Your best approach would be to contact the dealer before your next booking, say that you're still not happy as regards the vibrations, and ask for a technician to ride in the car with you on the day of the booking. That way you can explain to the technician what you are experiencing, and they can get an idea if what is happening.

On 2/26/2016 at 4:35 PM, nashy55 said:

The vibration can be felt through the seat at all speeds. the dealer i purchased the car from has said that if i get no joy from my local dealer then i can take it back to them to see if they can diagnose any problem so we shall see what happens. 

See my post quoted above - speak to your local dealer before taking the car in next week and arrange for a technician to go out with you. If the vibration is felt through just the driver's seat, get the technician to drive the car whilst you're there. That way, provided the issue isn't intermittent, you can explain the issue and they can experience it.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I know that this is old thread, but I have also some kind of vibration, shaking on my auris hybrid. What was cause of yours? Thanks

Hi, i have a Auris hybride in Holland, i drive it now 4 weeks (2015 model) and i have the same problems whit vibration at all speeds,has anyone a sollution? thanks..

I've got nearly 20k on my touring sport 2018 and there's no vibration or noise other than tyre roar. It's an absolute delight so there's something definitely wrong with yours! Whatever you do stay away from outfits like Kwik Fit, they are not fit to service a wheelbarrow

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links