Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

auris hybrid vibration

nashy55

Hi, very likely you may have  unbalanced tyres or bent wheels, brake callipers and or sliding pins stuck, engine mounts worn out, wheel alignment. Check all these but the brakes are very important even though may look good, if you haven’t done brake service just get it done plus new brake fluid. In general the Aurises are vibrations makers. 

Definitely stay away from Kwik Fit and the like, they employ monkeys. A hybrid Auris should be amazingly smooth and quiet so there's something drastic wrong here. I've not got much faith in main dealers either unfortunately

There are new rims and new tires on the car from the factory, so the wheels can be excluded.  Vibration always occurs 2-3mm above the tachometer ECO label, so always at the same rpm, but in all speed ranges when the engine is running.  Not in EV mode.

Engine mounts very likely but it’s so difficult to find out which one, I can tell you these cars are proper vibrators., some even nearly new with only low miles on. Previous gen Auris also suffers of those but not as much. , and usually the hybrid variants are the smoother one and the diesels are the worst. I gave up looking for my one and keep driving  until something breaks  up so will be obvious, will share with you but some time might needed as already had been two years like that and over 100k miles. Next car will be Corolla or Prius or Camry. , don’t think will buy Auris especially gen 2 from 2013-2019. No offence, but cat thefts target plus road noise, smaller cabin and lower quality materials interior plus vibrations = no go for me. 

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

No offence, but cat thefts target plus road noise, smaller cabin and lower quality materials interior plus vibrations = no go for me. 

Facelift has improved NVH and sound insulation. Think Excel is also better than the lower trim levels IME, may have been the tyres though,

Are you referring to engine vibration when you make it rev usually at higher speeds and power?If so it's normal. The engine has a vibration patch that sounds horrible, it can be avoided most of the time, but it's not a sign of anything wrong 

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2020 at 6:43 PM, MagicBoy said:

Think Excel is also better than the lower trim levels IME

Luckily I dont have any vibration or noise issue, fingers crossed.....only thing getting on my *!*!*! nerves is the white powder from A/C vents.

• 7 months later...

I have 2016 TS hybrid, accelerating hard from 40 to 60mph can be loud from high rpm that cvt can take at max all the time. It is faster than most 3cyl turbo but does not feel fast from monotone sound. It also vibrate but not as bad as Polo TDI with DSG. Once you reach 80mph and cruising, it is very quiet, only wind and tire noise we can hear.  The new 2.0L 180HP hybrid in corolla is more refined but not as smooth as camry 2.5L with similar engine design (dual injections D4S).  

On 10/23/2020 at 8:20 AM, tizperc said:

There are new rims and new tires on the car from the factory, so the wheels can be excluded.  Vibration always occurs 2-3mm above the tachometer ECO label, so always at the same rpm, but in all speed ranges when the engine is running.  Not in EV mode.

It is normal harmonic vibration that Auris has at certain rpm, accelerate more and it will be gone.  Usually about 1500- 2000 rpm, just like other cars. 

• 8 months later...

Sorry for being incredibly late. I just read this forum yesterday while looking to fix a similar issue. 

I bought an Auris touring sports 2015 (1.8L hybrid) from the Lexus dealer yesterday and in my excitement, didn't notice the vibrations coming from the steering wheel and the floor of the car as well. I also had to fight with a slight left bias on the steering wheel. 

I took it in to my local mechanic to have the tires balanced hoping it would fix it. I have to say its much better - not totally gone but much better. I would put the residual vibrations down to lighter materials used all round in the car and a light steering wheel. 

Anyway, during diagnosis, the mechanics found that one of the tires was not balanced at all. Interestingly though, they heard something rattling about inside one of the tyres . Turns out the tyre pressure sensor had come off the inside of the rim (?) and the previous owners had 'fixed' it by gluing it back onto the wheel. It had come lose and was moving about inside the tire. The new mechanics secured the sensor with a cable tie so hopefully that holds it.

Only cost me £40 so just posting in case it helps someone

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have experienced with my previous car, a Ford Focus 2005 Hatchback, these sort of vibrations. It has been a stressful period in trying to find out what was the issue, and eventually when I was doing my 3rd wheel balancing and two alignments in like two weeks, it turned out that two rims were bended. It was not visible on the eye but clear on the spinning machine when they were doing the balancing. After I have changed them with better ones, used, from eBay, I got rid of that vibration.

When it comes to the car pulling left, I had this too, and it still is to some extent but I believe that now is more because of the road than because of the car. However, I have approached it by changing all my tyres (they were all different), and doing an alignment at a garage equipped with Hunter HawkEye technology. I found it to be useful and to improve my steering.

I own an Excel 2016 Hybrid, with panoramic sunroof, with some nice touches of leather inside, and overall with a good built quality from my perspective. It feels that could have been built to be stronger, and I would have wished for a better entertainment unit, with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. However, I like the audio system much and overall I am in love with this car, along with its design in this trim and the LED lights + plus the great MPG that I get, ranging between 52 and 64. It is a great choice for me.

I hope that you will manage to sort it out!

Only post 2019 Corolla can have Android auto. I am satisfied with the sound quality, not over trashy bass, clear, and balance tone, good value audio. The bluetooth connection is easy and fast. 

Vibration from wheel is often severe. I had problem with Walmart tire balancing.  They put the weight on the same outerside that is supposed to be outer and inner side with the same weight to counter lateral imbalance. It causes shimmy side to side movement not up and down.  Yes, we always need to check how the balance weight was placed on each tires. There is no reason to put weight on the same side in  opposite diameter. I wasted money by replacing control arms and other expensive part and labor. 

So, check the wheel first, and spend $40 to rebalance them when we have any vibration as we drive.  

All Toyota Auris including the hybrids suffer from some sort of vibrations at certain speeds at certain times for some reasons, I also get some and was looking to fix however after hours of research, testing, checking etc on everything on the car, I come to a conclusion that there are some design issues with vibration found on later stage of manufacturing process and nothing could had been done more than the usual change to major part to deal with the problem, (2012-> models rear engine mount has a vibration damper attached to, not available on previous year’s production), however the vibrations are still present from time to time and especially on strong cross winds. I had issues with more than 3 cars including some Priuses which are basically the same cars underneath. Stuck brake callipers and slider pins can also cause vibrations.👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links