Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front door cracking at check strap - reinforcing and repair

Konrad C

My car has the front door crack at the check strap point. It is worse on the drivers side. The metal flexes cracking the paint.

I spoke to a friend who works in my local independent garage, about this and he told me, he has done quite a few on other makes of cars. This is not just an Avensis problem!

We both have the same idea: make a plate covering a large area to spread the load, to the required shape and profile. Insert the plate inside the door, and if necessary drill holes in the door and puddle weld the plate. Grind the crack and weld if needed. Grind the welds flat then paint  with primer, colour and lacquer. Then replace the door strap and door fittings.

The point is to strengthen the metal in that area of the door, to reduce or stop the flexing, which causes the paint to crack. 

Another idea is to paint the area the same as used on bumpers, unless the metal is cracking!

Before I start any work later, is there a repair plate available? I ask this question as the area is not flat, so a pre-shaped plate will save time. Also welding may not be needed if bolt on is sufficient. 

I will be doing this in spring, so any other ideas will be welcome.

My car is 7 years old so outside the Toyota Warranty, and I bought the car September 2015. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi Konrad,

just found myself in same position as you. Did you get yours sorted? Thinking of very same, new door is too expensive...

Thanks,

Martin

2 minutes ago, Martin T said:

Hi Konrad,

just found myself in same position as you. Did you get yours sorted? Thinking of very same, new door is too expensive...

Thanks,

Martin

Hi Martin.

A few months back, I got some large washers which hopefully spread the load. The metal seemed to flex a lot less than before.

I only did the drivers door which was worse. I will look and see if my simple fix did the trick, then let you know.

Konrad

Hi Konrad,

thanks for your quick reply. We have just bought this car two weeks ago and today I have noticed funny noise when opening drivers door. Than bit of googling and here we are. I've seen your pictures you have done in another post and we are not as bad but about 60% of yours. I love the car to bits otherwise. I am thinking of doing very same as you did and will observe any further cracking. If it worsens I think the only option is to combine your solution with some inner bracket supporting the metal from inside. Lots of work but might be worth it. Hope your lasts long

Thank You again,

Martin

Hi Martin again.

I did not have any noises with my doors, plus I have seen far worse photos than my own. 

Yes the car is good. I too hope the fix works, and yours too. :thumbsup:

Konrad

4 hours ago, Martin T said:

We have just bought this car two weeks ago and today I have noticed funny noise when opening drivers door. 

If you bought the car from a dealer, you will have some comeback under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act - see 

Take note of the section 'the first six months'.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed both my drivers and passenger doors are cracked too , my car is 2010 and done 83,000 miles with full Toyota main dealer service history , Its out of warranty but surely this is a manufacturing fault

It may be a manufacturing fault - the new car warranty was there to cover manufacturing faults, which has now expired. As the cracks aren't corrosion, the 12 year anti corrosion warranty won't be applicable. Extended warranties don't cover bodywork.

If the car has a full Toyota service history, one could approach your Toyota dealer and ask them to approach Toyota re a goodwill contribution towards the cost of repair - which may only be a contribution, not the full cost. However, take note of other threads relating to this issue where owners whose cars have been outside the new car warranty period, have been declined assistance.

On 11/12/2016 at 4:49 PM, GAZB said:

Do Toyota or anyone do a repair kit to strengthen this up

I don't think Toyota UK do. Any car they have done under warranty, has been replacement doors.

What I will say, is that the metal flexes causing the paint to crack. If the paint and under coat has similar flexibility as bumper paint, it would happen less, but not stop it! All paint will eventually crack, even if designed too. 

Unfortunately the metal in the area is not completely flat, so it is a little harder to make plates to fit inner side of the door. Plates could be made for the outer sides.

As I have mentioned before, I placed large washers to try and spread the load. Also I try to be careful and open the door gently. The passenger door is less affected, and I added grease to soften the load on the intermediate stop. I would be more worried if the door hinges were cracking!  

• 2 years later...

Hi Konard,

Do you mind uploading a photo showing where you put the washers?

I bought my 2010 TR Tourer 1.8 with 115000 miles two weeks ago from a local dealer and although I did read abut the cracks problem before buying when I checked I did not spot one.

Only after finding some photos here I had another look and yes the driver door has this crack near the bolts. All the other doors are fine.

The car has full main dealer history  (Toyota Bristol North) and the selling dealer warranty is only the 3 month mechanical failure so I don't think I have any chance of this being looked at by them or by Mr T. I only paid £3.5k for the car which is otherwise like new.

I believe the QC on doors in Toyota might not be up to scratch as on our 2010 Yaris the passenger door mechanism had a complete failure last year refusing to open. £245 handed to the main dealer to get this sorted.

25 minutes ago, Shavestick said:

and the selling dealer warranty is only the 3 month mechanical failure

You have 6 months under Consumer Rights Act 2015.

You have 6 months under Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Thanks, forgot about this act.
In the meantime until I go to the supplying garage followed Konard's treatment with the washers.

Before and after pics below.

e3af9e5a9cd3906e3f2a263334ff910d.jpg5f1c1bb89339a9f91b51026d59f63c89.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Shavestick said:

Thanks, forgot about this act.
In the meantime until I go to the supplying garage followed Konard's treatment with the washers.

Before and after pics below.

e3af9e5a9cd3906e3f2a263334ff910d.jpg5f1c1bb89339a9f91b51026d59f63c89.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Danny, yours is a little worse than mine. I think your will need a plate to repair the area, and a little bit of welding. The washers I used are smaller than the ones in your photo. I think your washers are doing a good job of reducing the flexing, which causes the stress cracks. 
Not looked at mine for a long time. Drivers door worse than passengers.
I will be increasing the washer size and may fabricate plates to support area. Will ask a friend to do the welding.

20190706_140333.thumb.jpg.9e39d109ee0e3cbe5ecc87cb8e52d382.jpg 20190706_140439.thumb.jpg.4cfc6ba922a76d7e7f8ac61745a549a8.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konrad C said:

Drivers door worse than passengers.

I think that is "normal" & because it gets more use.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi Konrad,

Did the washers stop spreading the cracks and when removing the nut on the screw, does it fall inside the door or stays in place so you can easily fit the washer?

Thanks and Regards,

Rob

11 hours ago, Robert81 said:

Hi Konrad,

Did the washers stop spreading the cracks and when removing the nut on the screw, does it fall inside the door or stays in place so you can easily fit the washer?

Thanks and Regards,

Rob

No, the washer slowed down the problem, not stop it! I since put larger washers to help spread the load. I will examining the door when I can, to see the current state of the doors. I have the metal needed to repair the area. If it needs to be done, I will get a body work friend to do the welding. I will strip the door, so he does his stuff. That's my backup plan. 
My car is one of the first built, so it's done well overall.  

Thanks Konrad. When you fitted the washers, is there a risk that the screws will fall into the door so you need to remove the door panel to hold it down when !Removed! it back on?

Hope this makes sense.

Regards, Rob

Drill the ends of the cracks it will stop it spreading any further

On 7/6/2019 at 3:40 PM, Konrad C said:

20190706_140333.thumb.jpg.9e39d109ee0e3cbe5ecc87cb8e52d382.jpg 20190706_140439.thumb.jpg.4cfc6ba922a76d7e7f8ac61745a549a8.jpg

Can't belive this ... hinges are cracking, this is clearly a design fault that Toyota needs to repair and take all cost for.

Just got a T27 and found this thread after I noticed a strange noise from this area when opening the drivers door to full extent. Guess I have to go out and check my car for cracks...

21 hours ago, yesMan said:

Can't belive this ... hinges are cracking, this is clearly a design fault that Toyota needs to repair and take all cost for.

Just got a T27 and found this thread after I noticed a strange noise from this area when opening the drivers door to full extent. Guess I have to go out and check my car for cracks...

If the car is out of warranty then Toyota are not obliged to do anything about it. It was fixed on later models anyway. Our 2012 Avensis has covered 85k now and has shown no sign of these cracks. 

How did you manage to see the cracks? I tried to see if my Avensis had cracks in the hinges yesterday when I cleaned inside the car after the winter. I opened all 4 doors as much it was possible. I heard some noise from the drivers door. I took a can of Valvoline white grease and sprayed the hinge on that door. I have done that to the hinges when I have heard some noise from the hinges since I bought the car 2012.

I will try again later to day. Maybe I should use the phone as a "tool" ...

Magnus, if the cracks have just started, they can be a bit difficult to spot, a good light is needed.

The photos show the crack on the drivers door of my 2012 Tourer (when I owned it), that I spotted when it was under 4 years old.

Avensis 2012 Tourer Door Crack (2)_LI.jpg

Avensis 2012 Tourer Door Crack 2 (2)_LI.jpg