Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota WiFi Hotspot in 2016 Prius

PeteB

I'm thinking of adding the WiFi Hotspot to the spec for my 2016 Prius order.

Does anyone know please (especially the Toyota people who went on the recent training day):

1. Does it link to the Car's SatNav to send destinations etc to the car or would I still have the Bluetooth/tether to my phone)?

2. Does it allow any remote access to the car's functions (e.g. activate A/C), lights on/off?

I'm suspecting not, as it's probably only powered when the car is at ;east in Accessory mode.  Buy you never know, remote access has been around in some cars for many years, Toyota must get around to it sometime? (living in hope, as ever!).

Thanks.

No mention of these things so I guess that means No & No!

Is there a difference between this and putting your phone in tether mode. It looks a lot like an answer to a non existant problem. I hope I'm missing something.

only that if the WiFi did it, it would happen automatically.

To avoid excessive Battery drain, I have to put my phone into tether mode at the start of each journey where I want it on, and cancel it at the end - a minor chore, made worse because I sometimes forget to do one or the other, and find it's not on after I've started driving, or has drained my Battery ;later that day.

I can see the convenience, but not for £350.The Battery issue wouldn,t be a problem for me as I always plug the phone in when i get into the car using a short USB cable.

This should be even better with the gen 4 as my phone can use the wireless charging option. 

Suppose it depend on one's devices and usage. Could be useful if one has only a WiFi tablet rather than 3/4g, that one wants to use away from home as some mobile operators limit tethering.

• Like 1

True. I haven't looked seriously at costs or options. Although I didn't see any useful information on the Toyota website about either.

I know that most operators say that you should not use tethering on a standard contract. However, I don't think any prevent it. And I can't see any reason for them to do so, unless they have severe bandwidth problems.

Indeed, the bluetooth tethering required to use some of the Gen 3 facilities is probably in conflict with most contracts.

I guess the main market must be road warriors. Although I can't see many companies footing the bill. I'd be very interested to know how many are actually sold. Even fewer than satnav map upgrades?

Just quickly yes the Prius when fitted with Touch2 & Go Pro can use the wifi hotspot as a data connection but no there are no "Remote" functions because as you point out the hotspot is ignition switched so off when the car is powered down.

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Suppose it depend on one's devices and usage. Could be useful if one has only a WiFi tablet rather than 3/4g, that one wants to use away from home as some mobile operators limit tethering.

EE sell two mobile internet gadgets that do the same for around £50-£60, one plugs into the cars power socket, the other is a stand alone Battery powered (or via a charging cable). Both have 3G and 4G PAYG or contract. I've managed to connect to the internet via my phone's bluetooth connection on the car, Gen3 and Prius+ with no problem. I agree with Ancient Nerd above, a very expensive answer to a non-existent problem.   

So do I now I know it doesn't do anything else useful.  I'll just stick to tethering, which my provider (3) does allow.