Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MPG down, what can I do?

whipitonce

I have had Rav4 from new 08 plate 2.2 XTR. 

I used to get roughly 46  miles to the gallon (according to the display on the dash panel).

It has reduced over the past few years and now I only get 40. I don't drive any faster and the car has been serviced every year by the Toyota dealership I purchased it from. 

What can I do to raise it back up to what it used to be?

Is there an additive or is it a service replacement/repair.

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 11.34.29.png

Check whether your air filter element needs changing, if it's choked it will have a bad effect on your fuel consumption. It should be replaced during servicing but it's an optional extra type of thing. It's fairly easy to check and won't take long.

• Like 1

Tom's right, the air filter can have a considerable impact on engine performance. I would also look at your usage of the car over the period in question, i.e. are you doing the same sorts of journies in terms of local jogging, long-haul, A-road, M-way, etc.Also have you changed the brand of fuel that you are using? Especially if your car is a diesel, if you switched from branded fuel to supermarket stuff, there could well be a drop-off in performance and MPG, IMO. Things like dragging brake pads can have an adverse effect on fuel consumption or a failing wheel bearing(s). Admittedly these latter issues may seem a bit tenuous but, if you're not doing big miles, things like brake calipers don't get serviced as often so brake dust and road debris can build up on the pins that the pads slide on and the pad bearing surfaces of the calipers themselves.

Thanks for the replies, I will take a look and replace my filter if necessary.

I have only done 62000 since I purchased it from new, so I don't do excessive milage in a year. 

It may also be worth running a bottle of something like Archoil 6400-D (~£20) through it to clean the system.

Dirty Air filter

EGR clogged

Brakes binding

Heavier throttle use

Different driving style

Incorrect tyre pressures

Poor quality fuel

Dirty injectors

Engine oil broken down or wrong type of oil used

Oil filter clogged

MAF sensor goosed

....take your pick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links