Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Auris HSD: How much fuel is left when cruising range at 0 miles?

Italianoleone

Chaps, how much fuel is left when cruising range displays "0 miles"? I filled up my tank full when cruising range showed 0 and I could only fill 35 litres. Manual states the fuel tank is 45 litres. Is it possible that there's still about 10 litres of fuel left when car reports 0 miles cruising range? How long have you been able to drive with cruising range displayed at 0?

Toyotas typically countdown range to "reserve" rather than empty - it's normal Toyota caution. 

Usually "reserve" is 9-10 litres.

• Like 1

I usually never travel more than 30 miles from 0 miles. You don't want to run out as the car basically dies and needs resetting by Toyota. 

• Like 1

I tend to do about 100 miles on reserve in my PiP, never run out to date, and that's averaging about 85mpg. Reserve on the Prius tends to be about 5L, although I always fill to the very brim, rather than first or second click like some.

I managed 35 miles in the Yaris, at about 60 MPG, with about 2 L to spare! I guess about 4 L is remaining on the Yaris at zero.

• 2 weeks later...

I did 17 miles in a mk1 Auris, then bottled out!

• Like 1

I think the reserve is around 4.5 litres when it says 0. But don't quote me on this. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

On a related note, does anyone else find the fuel gauge moves relatively quickly for the last 1/4 of the instrument? On my Yaris it seems to drop quite quickly compared to full to 1/2.

Toyota use a similar bar-type fuel gauge on a number of models, which operates in a non-linear way. See the following for a typical example of how they work -

Very interesting! I had noticed the fuel gauge INCREASE during driving on relatively flat terrain at constant speed/good fuel economy, and suspected a link to average, but that is awesome!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 22/03/2016 at 7:44 AM, Wayne2015 said:

I did 17 miles in a mk1 Auris, then bottled out!

I have never gotten to 0 yet, i hate seeing the low fuel warning taking over the display. Like to see when it's on EV. I use the trip counter when i fill up and get to 420+ by the time I fill up. 36L is  the most i have got in and that's after squeezing the trigger a few more times.

On 28/03/2016 at 10:25 PM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Very interesting! I had noticed the fuel gauge INCREASE during driving on relatively flat terrain at constant speed/good fuel economy, and suspected a link to average, but that is awesome!

Thanks!

I've never seen a figure quoted for the Toyota Hybrids, but a Volvo I once had stated the range was based on the average mpg over the last 20 miles.

As you say, it can increase under favorable circumstances, but it can also go the other way.  I remember going to a meeting on the outskirts of London and had a great journey with good weather going.  When I got in to go home the range estimate was 33 miles, but it was over 30C outside and I got into the most horrendous traffic.  After five miles I was 2 miles from the nearest petrol station, and it said I had one mile left!  I did make it though.

I have noticed on my Gen 3 Prius that often when the estimated range reaches 10 or 11 miles, it can suddenly drop to zero even though I'm getting good mpg at the time.

However, based on the amount of fuel pumped in I've usually got at least half a gallon left in the tank even after range=0 and the last bar on the fuel gauge is flashing (which or course is desirable!).

I have a 2015 Auris hybrid. Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, I have recently run the fuel gauge to empty, then the range down to zero. I then drove a further 25 miles before being able to refuel. The car then took 39 litres to fill the fuel tank which suggests that there was around 6 litres still in the tank after 25 miles running on zero range.

• 1 month later...

I went a bit far a couple of weeks ago... I drove about 40 miles beyond empty, and when I filled up, well... that is as close to verifying the fuel tank capacity as I would like to ever get! I can see me running out of fuel one day in my crazy bid to see how far I can go. I put in just over 34 L (book says 35 L). :ohmy:

3 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I went a bit far a couple of weeks ago... I drove about 40 miles beyond empty, and when I filled up, well... that is as close to verifying the fuel tank capacity as I would like to ever get! I can see me running out of fuel one day in my crazy bid to see how far I can go. I put in just over 34 L (book says 35 L). :ohmy:

You like to live dangerously, I prefer to quit when i'm close to 0 :biggrin:

I was a bit shocked as I thought I had more than a litre left, but the pump said otherwise... :blink:

Right now I'm looking like I will get 430 miles from this tank, but still 100+ miles range left before then.

I need to average 60 MPG to get 450 miles out of a tank, and 66 MPG to get 500 miles out of a tank. I'm not sure my general driving patterns would allow me to do much better.

Our Yaris has done 368 and still showing an estimated range of 38 miles, the gauge is showing an 8th. No light on yet, if things go like it has done with my Auris, then the range should steadily rise. that started of with 380-400 when I bought it and 11 months later its now showing 479.

I'm curious about that - the range display on mine constantly shows, I think, 370 after I reset the trip computers (with a full tank). It has shown that since new, and never changes. Of course, it counts down as it is driven. I didn't look to see if it increases at all at the beginning.

Does pressing clear make any difference?

Most of the time I have the trip info showing on the touch screen.

Since we only just this 2013 one, the range started off at 200 miles and counted down slowly. Then I tried the clear to wipe the past records and filled up to the top. Second tank full it showed 384, will see what happens on the next fill up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't clear the history, but only the display on the instrument cluster, and it estimated 395 miles range! It seems if you clear past trips it defaults to 370.

My actual total milage was 427! I'm looking good for 440 miles on this tank. :cool: