Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius transmission fluid change

JD

So i have just dropped my third gen prius  off at my local toyota dealer for 120,000 miles service and after reading about transmission fluid change i asked toyota if it needs changing and they said it doesnt so what do u guys suggest?

I'd change it at that mileage but I'd want to talk to the Toyota tecchie first to see if he understood HOW to change it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomdeGuerre said:

I'd change it at that mileage but I'd want to talk to the Toyota tecchie first to see if he understood HOW to change it.

Asked toyota so many times but they keep saying it doesnt need changing ever

My last Gen 1 Prius had done over 163,000 miles when I sold it, still with original transmission (power split device) fluid.

I discussed changing it with my dealer once or twice, but it was pointed out that Toyota didn't require it ever to be changed and deemed it unnecessary. To a degree, it's almost unheard of for one to fail, even at 400,000 miles, so they may have a point.

However, the chap who bought my car does a lot of work on various Hybrids and changed the fluid himself. He reported back that it was very heavily discoloured (no sign of the original red colour left), but fortunately no significant metallic debris.

On that basis I probably would have it done on my next Prius if gets towards 100k.

He did state that my Gen 1 had no transmission whine at all, unlike some Gen 1 & 2 models that had passed 100K, so I guess the jury's out, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. A fluid change costing maybe £60-£100 once every 10 years or so isn't going to drastically affect the overall running cost, whereas a new power split device (aka transmission, transaxle) probably would!

I wish I'd known in advance he was going to change it - I'd have happily paid him to send a sample to one of the oil analysis laboratories to see how much it's lubricating qualities had degraded.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeteB said:
My last Gen 1 Prius had done over 163,000 miles when I sold it, still with original transmission (power split device) fluid.

I discussed changing it with my dealer once or twice, but it was pointed out that Toyota didn't require it ever to be changed and deemed it unnecessary. To a degree, it's almost unheard of for one to fail, even at 400,000 miles, so they may have a point.

However, the chap who bought my car does a lot of work on various Hybrids and changed the fluid himself. He reported back that it was very heavily discoloured (no sign of the original red colour left), but fortunately no significant metallic debris.

On that basis I probably would have it done on my next Prius if gets towards 100k.

He did state that my Gen 1 had no transmission whine at all, unlike some Gen 1 & 2 models that had passed 100K, so I guess the jury's out, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. A fluid change costing maybe £60-£100 once every 10 years or so isn't going to drastically affect the overall running cost, whereas a new power split device (aka transmission, transaxle) probably would!

I wish I'd known in advance he was going to change it - I'd have happily paid him to send a sample to one of the oil analysis laboratories to see how much it's lubricating qualities had degraded.

Thanks when i asked the dealer they said they inspect the oil every 40k miles but i doubt it since there isnt a dipstick for it so i think i am going to just tell them to change the oil anyway just to be safe.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2016 at 2:15 PM, JD said:

So i have just dropped my third gen prius  off at my local toyota dealer for 120,000 miles service and after reading about transmission fluid change i asked toyota if it needs changing and they said it doesnt so what do u guys suggest?

I did the same and got the same answer.  Toyota say the gen3 prius transmission fluid just needs checking / topping up.  It never needs changing.

While my gen3 is covered by the extended warranty, if there is a problem, it will be covered.

30 minutes ago, johalareewi said:

I did the same and got the same answer.  Toyota say the gen3 prius transmission fluid just needs checking / topping up.  It never needs changing.

While my gen3 is covered by the extended warranty, if there is a problem, it will be covered.

Do u believe they check or top it up because from what i have heard there is no way to check the level

On the dealer's service sheet it says check transmission oil and they always tick it.

TBH I don't know what they check or how they check it.  I did ask if they could change it if I asked them to but they weren't that keen because MrT says it doesn't need changing.

Well according to at least one web site you can change the oil on the Gen 2 and 3 see http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/38406/

although I wouldn't be in the least surprised to be corrected as Toyota have a penchant for making things difficult. 

Prius Oil Change.png