Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Mats : Clips on Driver's Side.

oldie68

I've just bought a set of car mats for my 2010 1.33 from Amazon. They seem to be well made, and they just dropped into place.

There are two holes at the rear of the driver's side mat which line up with two holes in the original flooring. Am I right in thinking there should be clips to hold this mat in place? If so, where can I get them, and are they expensive?  

Thanks Frostyballs. I was making the mistake of assuming that, because the holes in both the new mat and the original floor covering are circular, one was positioned above the other. 

However, I've now noticed the curvature at the rear right side, to allow for the fuel cap lever, and clearly the mat needs to be positioned with the hole in the new mat about 3-4 cms in front of the smaller one. The former is about 4cm outside diameter, with a rectangular slot, with rounded ends, in the centre.  The holes in the original are about 2cm diameter. Do these measurements make sense, since it looks as though the "bar" in the clip must be the exact size? 

I notice both ads quote the same original equipment reference. Is there any way to check this?

Are you sure that you have mats to suit a 2010 Yaris?

On the 2012 model year > Toyota changed the style of retaining clip on the Avensis at least - possibly they did the same for the Yaris?

The dealer supplied Toyota mats that we've had have always had the mat holes positioned further forwards than the floor covering holes (1996, 1998 & 2006 Corollas, and 2009 & 2012 Auris), which allows for the mat clips to be fitted into the floor covering and the hooks to fit into the carpet mats. The hooks prevent the carpet mat moving forwards and interfering with the pedals.

Your mats should look like this -

$_35.JPG

I believe around 2014 they changed the clips for larger ones. I had quite a problem obtaining the correct mats for mine, in the end the supplier sent me different inserts for the mats.

3 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I believe around 2014 they changed the clips for larger ones. I had quite a problem obtaining the correct mats for mine, in the end the supplier sent me different inserts for the mats.

....  as the car in question is a 2010 model, the clips should be the original size and certainly the floor covering fitting that the clips fit into, should be for the old style clip.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

....  as the car in question is a 2010 model, the clips should be the original size and certainly the floor covering fitting that the clips fit into, should be for the old style clip.

Indeed, but the problem is : which are the original clips? My mats are the same as shown in your photo, except that the holes in the driver's side contain what look like slightly wider rubber rings, with the centre being a rectangular hole. 

Thia is the Amazon item: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyota-Yaris-2006-2011-Quality-Tailored/dp/B008582HN2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457286463&sr=8-2&keywords=yaris+carpet  . Note that it mentions a "safety device" on the driver's mat. I've sent a query via Amazon asking what this is intended to mean. 

The Amazon description states that the mats are 'Available from these sellers' -  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008582HN2/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1457286463&sr=8-2

So presumably you will need to contact the seller you ordered the mats from to ask about the locking device.

As regards the original clips, these are suppllied with Toyota's car mats as part of the set rather than being part of the car's standard spec. If you bought the Yaris used, dealers often take out the previous owner's mats, especially if they're worn, presumably because most buyers will purchase a new set of mats, which will come with clips.

Frostyballs, 

When buying from a third party via Amazon, if you need to contact the seller then you initially do it via a button on your order details. Amazon then add the order details, and any reply will return through Amazon. If, at the end, you're unhappy with the dealer, Amazon can take various actions.  

Toyota mats : I've been using Google to try to find find details of the correct clip, without success. Also to try to find a different source, since both the suppliers you linked to are "Paypal only". I don't have a Paypal account, and I don't particularly want to open on for the sake of a £1.98 order.:smile:

However, I came across several mentions that Toyota no longer supply mats/carpets as standard. 

As an Amazon Prime customer since its inception, I'm aware that Amazon provide the messaging service for one to contact third party sellers. 

The two examples I provided were just that, examples. One can of course buy the clips from one's Toyota dealer.

Toyota haven't provided carpet mats as standard for years - as with any other marque, they are a dealer option and I haven't indicated otherwise.

The Yaris have two fitting types early "hook" type all models upto 2011 MK3 and the later "twist" type. A 2010 would be a MK2 with hook type fixing clip see first picture of clip shape the post facing down goes into the eyelet in the cars carpet and the curved hook through the accessory mat. Later cars have a fixed twisting clip in the cars carpet which the mat fits over then the clip is twisted to hold see second picture showing comparison, if you have the larger oval hole then the mats are for a later car or made with the wrong fixing type

Hook type clip.jpg

genuine-toyota-floor-mat-retainer-hook-black-plastic-floor-mat-clip-hook-style-excludes-fj-cruiser-17.jpg

Frostyballs : I've generally found it best when seeking advice to spell everything out in detail, even when the other party probably knows it already. 

Devon Aygo : The supplier has sent me a email saying that they'll send the clips to me. However, I'm now worried, since the holes in the driver's mat are definitely of the second type : wider ring with rectangular slot.  Does this mean the mats are 2011 on? They certainly dropped straight into place, except for the driver's side when I lined the two sets of holes up. 

Do I understand you to mean that the later type (twist) is fixed into the car's carpet from new? In which case there won't be an additional clip, will there? 

I'll have to wait and see what they send. 

10 hours ago, oldie68 said:

Do I understand you to mean that the later type (twist) is fixed into the car's carpet from new? In which case there won't be an additional clip, will there? 

they are on the 2012MY  (which is when they switched from the earlier, separate type) Avensis.

I've just checked the shape of the mats, and based on these Amazon search results they're definitely for the 2005 - 2011 models :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A303631031%2Ck%3Ayaris+car+mat+2011&keywords=yaris+car+mat+2011&ie=UTF8&qid=1457435313&rnid=1642204031

Having said that, there are some variations in shape as you go down the results. However, the mats fit, which is the main point.

So the question is : have they simply put the inserts into the holes when they shouldn't have done? If so, are the holes in the correct positions? 

So long as the clips arrive, and the hook can be used in the slots in the inserts, I'm happy. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links