Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Heater control bulbs

Mr.Fixit-Norm

Hi,

just wondered if anyone has had to change blown bulbs in a 2.2 heater / fan control panel,  and if so know what the code is for the bulbs? I've managed to get a blown one out and they're tiny little twist n lock units marked TS and 5 ?

I've searched the net but can't find anything like it, the glass of the bulb is also covered in a little yellow rubber cap.

Any info gratefully received as I'm fed up trying to guess where the heater etc settings are at night !

Norm

Nobody have any ideas? , I can't be the only one whose had these bulbs blow !

Norm

image.jpeg

Couple of threads:

Also there are a couple of threads in the Avensis club that mast be of some help.

I couldn't find the ones for my avensis a while ago and ended up buying from Toyota.  They weren't cheap, IIRC about twenty quid or something for two.

Thanks for that, I'm hoping to avoid a dealer ( way too expensive :angry: ) I'll give Halfords a go tomorrow. I'm amazed there's none on eBay, you can usually find pretty much everything on there !

Must admit that I didn't realise there were 5 bulbs in the heater control panel ?

Norm

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/standard-dashboard-and-panel-bulbs-for-cars/

hi norm how things ? Have you looked on the above site, they have three pages of different panel bulbs . Also I noticed today a car bulb supplier in beccles , a little unit on ellough industrial estate, opposite what used to be promens, turn in to that industrial estate and turn left and first left again and there is some little units, one seems to deal in car bulbs and led,s for cars, may have something. Britelightleds.co.uk .

Hi Phil,

Funny thing is I did look at that site originally, but I put my reg number in and it only came back with normal exterior bulbs and the normal interior ones. 

Last night I found what I believe to be the right ones on a sight called Lightinthebox, I think they're T3's, I've ordered up 4 LED versions for £3.59 inc postage ! - not too much to loose if they turn out to be wrong or rubbish.

I was quite chuffed because the old girl went through the MOT again yesterday with no work needed only two advises which were the same as last year ! - offside rear brake pads down a bit and some corrosion to the flange between the back box and the centre section.

I'm going to get both the rear discs and pads changed shortly and sort the exhaust out in the summer myself  ( I quite fancy giving it a different look and a 'nicer' exhaust note by getting rid of the back box and splitting the exhaust just after the back flange, put in two short small mufflers and bring them out as a twin system one either side, but I'm going to do it in such a way that it could be put back to std if need be. )

The other thing I've got to tackle is a problem with the Radio. Two years ago I fitted a good quality Sony unit with bluetooth etc which has been perfect until the last two or three weeks. Now the reception is rubbish, the only thing that it receives clearly enough ( and even that fades at times ) is The Beach station ! Most of the national stations are coming through very weak and I'm wondering if there's a ariel amplifier that's playing up. I've tried all the radios settings, checked the ariel but nothing seems to make a difference  🙁

Norm

That's good mate , let me know if the lamps turn out to be ok and then I can keep that site in mind for future.  No idea regarding radio, haven't a clue whether there's a amplifier or not hopefully someone else will reply with an answer .

all best

phil

Yes, if they're ok I'll post a link as there doesn't seem to be much info on this type of thing.

The radio is a bit of a pain, there's got to be something that's changed and I honestly don't think it's the radio itself, trouble is I'd like to check the roof ariel on the inside but the only way seems to be to remove the solid headlining and that's not a job I'd relish at all !

As you say, hopefully someone will come along who's knows.

ATB

Norm

• 4 weeks later...

Finally received the T3 LED bulbs today ( only took 3 weeks from Malaysia ! - still at least it was free postage ) they turned out to be the wrong size & style of case type, but undeterred I decided to remove the blown bulbs from their plastic holders - the wires from the base of the glass envelope go through the holder, twist back over the edge of the flange to form the two contacts and back underneath. Incredibly, the LED ones used the same style of fitting and the wires were the same length !! I simply replaced the bulbs with the LEDs and now have a fully lit control panel.

To be fair this is a fiddly job and took me about an hour in total, also the panel is now much brighter and lit in a cool white colour instead of the dull yellow of the original but I quite like it.

Ive since found a UK company who supply various LED panel replacement bulbs at very reasonable prices. When I bought the first four bulbs I forgot there were 5 in the display so I bought 4 x T4.2 type bulbs for 90p each with £1.50 postage and next day delivery !

I was hoping the Toyota ones might be the T4.2 style but they weren't 🙁 But the LED units were strippable the same as the first ones and I just did the same again and fitted the LED in the old fitting. 🙂

If anyone is interested , the U.K. Company is AUTO LEDS of Darlington, their website is auto-LEDs.co.uk, and they take PayPal as well ! They do lots of different LED units as well.

Hopefully this may be of use to anyone else with blown bulbs in their instrument panels. 

Norm

Yes, I seem to remember I found this ( or something similar ) the only trouble is there are three more bulbs on a circuit board which you have to take the module apart to get to ! Wish I'd done a picture by picture account now :rolleyes:

I noticed that the centre dash unit is a very slightly different design to mine, the silver trim on mine goes right round the bottom, the clock is in the middle and the switches for the rear heater, etc are in two pairs either side of the clock. If that's a facelift 4.2 version I think I prefer the look of mine !

Norm

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links