Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EV Mode: When to use?

Wayne2015

It's the car-shaped symbol with "ev" written inside it. Above the engine management light on the instrument cluster! It illuminates when the vehicle is in pure electric mode.

If I can figure out how to put attachments here I'll post a photo of mine.

As above. It will be lit when ever the engine is off. Check in the cars menu that it hasn't been deactivated, as it can be in the Prius.

10 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

It's the car-shaped symbol with "ev" written inside it. Above the engine management light on the instrument cluster! It illuminates when the vehicle is in pure electric mode.

If I can figure out how to put attachments here I'll post a photo of mine.

I have checked manual

No auto EV mode indicator :(

Manual states I only have :

1. EV mode (via switch)

2. ECO mode (via switch)

3.PWR mode (via switch)

See left side of dash + right side (middle of dash) shows JUST the ECO DIVING INDICATOR LIGHT...

IMG_20160314_224112_zpshttotzoh.jpg

IMG_20160314_224019_zpsprfpbnta.jpg

List of dash lights confirms only :

1. EV mode

2. ECO mode

3. PWR mode

4. ECO driving indicator light

IMG_20160314_224129_zpsnvzw0szc.jpg

still confused

This is the ONLY lights I got...there is no EV light that 'auto' comes on

The only EV light I got is when I press the EV button...

IMG_20160315_204419_zps5o0hylth.jpg

The light to the left of READY only illuminates when the ICE is stopped. It is fully automatic and independent of manually selected EV Mode. Seems it means something different on the Auris.

I have engaged EV Mode as well so you can see it.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I think what Wayne is trying to say is that the little car symbol with EV on it is his forced EV light, he hasn't got the square [EV mode] symbol on his 2012 model. It's the same on SWMBO's Gen 2 Prius, when she presses the EV button the little car EV symbol lights but when she's not in forced EV mode, no symbol lights when the car is running in EV by its own choice.

• Like 2

Cheers guys!

U both correct - thanks for confirming :smile:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/03/2016 at 2:03 PM, Wayne2015 said:

Never thought of that (preventing ICE starting) - nice one!

Lol - creeping up on people (Boo!) :)

My car is known as the ninja car at work ;-)

• Like 1

On 15/03/2016 at 5:52 PM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

The light to the left of READY only illuminates when the ICE is stopped. It is fully automatic and independent of manually selected EV Mode. Seems it means something different on the Auris.

I have engaged EV Mode as well so you can see it.

image.jpeg

The with Mk1 Auris the only way to see if it was in EV was showing the display with the arrows on the right hand side. The Yaris has the EV symbol, but the power dial is easier to read on the Auris. I have the Auris and my mother has a Yaris, prefer the Auris any day. :-)

• 6 years later...

Hello,

I am wondering if there is anyone who could advise me if there is any benefit of using EV mode rather than ECO mode to accelerate at traffic lights. I already accelerate gently in ECO mode at traffic lights to minimise the amount of fuel used but I am unsure whether this uses the fuel or the Battery when I accelerate gently. If it does use fuel, then surely there is a benefit of switching to EV mode at traffic lights for gentle acceleration. I have owned a Toyota Auris for about half a year now and am keen to reduce fuel consumption and my environmental impact in it wherever possible.

Hi Theo,

Most of the time, I would ignore the EV mode. It doesn't last long, and you are going to pay for its use later when the ICE recharges the Battery

The only practical reason for using EV mode is when you don't want to make any noise. For example, if you are leaving home in the early hours and you don't want to disturb your neighbour.

If you are feeling eco-minded, you might want to use it in a multistorey car park to reduce the fumes.

Other than this, it is best to leave the car to do its own thing. It is really very good at it.

The best thing to do, by far, is to drive gently, which you are doing. Eco mode only really helps if, like me, you are a bit lead footed. It just slows the pedal response so that you have to press the pedal a bit further for the same effect. It also reduces the aircon usage in some way, which is not necessarily a good thing.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TDM18 said:

Hello,

I am wondering if there is anyone who could advise me if there is any benefit of using EV mode rather than ECO mode to accelerate at traffic lights. I already accelerate gently in ECO mode at traffic lights to minimise the amount of fuel used but I am unsure whether this uses the fuel or the battery when I accelerate gently. If it does use fuel, then surely there is a benefit of switching to EV mode at traffic lights for gentle acceleration. I have owned a Toyota Auris for about half a year now and am keen to reduce fuel consumption and my environmental impact in it wherever possible.

As the post above explained. Here you need to look at your power meter when driving and see in which zone you are at any one moment. When accelerate best to stay in ev+ petrol and when you reach your desired speed ease the accelerator a bit to remain in EV zone while maintaining the steady speeds. If you need extra speed do not worry to push into ev + petrol zone and then release again to remain more time on ev, this technique is called pulse and glide , you can research about it in Prius forums. 
When joining motorways or fast a roads push the car into power zone ( petrol +ev) , more you push faster acceleration in shorter time better for efficiency than if you keep in eco zone all the time. 
Regards 

829BBE65-6C8F-4E71-8970-C37BA3108296.jpeg

• Like 3