Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1997 Carina 2.0 gti auto ABS light problem

bobcatbobster

My 1997 Carina gti abs light has come on when first started and will stay on during a journey,however if I stop and restart engine it will reset,sometimes reilluminating  but usually stays off. It appears a intermitent problem but my problem is I can't find a garage in Bristol that can do a diagnosis on the car, appears they can't do it on any pre 1999 toyota/carinas. Any magic fixes or knowledge of a garage close Bristol who could help

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 8:45 PM, bobcatbobster said:

My 1997 Carina gti abs light has come on when first started and will stay on during a journey,however if I stop and restart engine it will reset,sometimes reilluminating  but usually stays off. It appears a intermitent problem but my problem is I can't find a garage in Bristol that can do a diagnosis on the car, appears they can't do it on any pre 1999 toyota/carinas. Any magic fixes or knowledge of a garage close Bristol who could help

I had the same problem. It is created by the break pedal switch valve. If you replace it (it is Cheap) you will definately solve this problem. Please have in mind that  when abs light comes on it is possible that the stop lights are NOT operational...

Hi Thank you for taking the time to respond, I have practically no mechanical experience/knowledge when you say brake switch valve do you mean the actual brake pedal switch?

cheers Bob

Under the brake pedal there is a switch. When you push the brake pedal , the pedal presses that electric switch and the stop lamps start to light. See the photo below. Also before the replacement please check the abs unit electronically in an authorized repair shop.

ΒΑΛΒΙΔΑ ΠΕΝΤΑΛ ΦΡΕΝΟΥ (STOP) EPS 1810089 ΓΙΑ TOYOTA CARINA E SALOON (..T19..) 1992-1997 2000cc TD 83 HP

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links