Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low mileage, out of warranty diesel.

Ladyowner

Hi everyone. Having seen some advice on here about buying a used Rav (avoid low miles/out of warranty), I wondered whether a really low mileage car might be a problem.

Car is 2012/13 (previous model) with 14K miles and tow pack (I won't want to tow) at a main dealer and will have remainder of Toyota 5-year warranty. I have had ongoing dpf problems with my T180 so am probably looking to change for a newer 150bhp diesel. 

So this is a four year old car with an annual average of 3.5K miles - poss all short journeys?  Would it be wiser to aim for a car with average mileage?

Thanks for any input.

Good points, Lo and worth some more research. If the car is otherwise good it would be worth trying to i.d. the previous owner, call 'em up and ask them about usage and any probs. Also try to get the dealer on the hook by asking him about the car's history and then make sure that you record everything that he says, esp any comments that give you comfort about its usage.

Is it a Toyota dealer?

Do you know why you are having problems with your T180 DPF? Is it down to your driving pattern (short trips, engine not fully warmed up, low revs etc.)?

If you have had ongoing problems with the DPF on your T180 are you sure that you would not end up with similar problems with a 150bhp as it will also have a DPF?

Thanks. Dpf probe due to short journeys etc. Have had car for 5years so am hoping next car will last another 5.

Not sure about petrol model as don't want auto.

Car I saw is in main dealer.

3 hours ago, Ladyowner said:

Thanks. Dpf probe due to short journeys etc. Have had car for 5years so am hoping next car will last another 5.

Not sure about petrol model as don't want auto.

Car I saw is in main dealer.

Toyota dealer?

We had a 12-reg XTR DCAT Automatic which was a lovely car. Mixed usage and no DPF or similar probs but we only ever use premium branded fuel, never supermarket pee. The vvt-I petrol engine is excellent, we've had three since 2002 and they are probably the best cars we have owned. Not the most economical on fuel but uber reliable with bombproof build quality. Worth a look if you're doing alot of short or urban running and want to eliminate filter/particulate problems.

Thanks Jim. I am really looking for a 2012/13 model if possible. Can't find any manual petrols at the moment and can't find another vehicle which offers the same space/comfort as the Rav.

On other brands it's common to remove the DPF and map it out, i'm assuming the Toyota ECU's are still not opened up though which makes this nearly impossible.

it's an instant MOT failure for a vehicle originally fitted with a DPF to have it removed & it's also an offence to drive such a vehicle on road. 

Some people on here say they have done it. MoT only looks to check box is in situ.

They may have but it doesn't change the fact that it is illegal to drive such a vehicle on the public road. I would imagine that emissions tests will show a higher level of particulates without a DPF in place.

Thousands of VAG based cars have had DPF removal done (normal process is to cut the DPF out, remove the internals and edit the ECU so the car believes everything is still normal then the case gets a re-weld so it appears to be as before). Zero MOT failures that I've read about as a result of this and clearly you're not familiar with the scope of a diesels emissions test - it will not fail.

Legality I couldn't really comment on, it's a widely publicised and openly offered service by long standing national brands. Last I looked it was technically illegal to record a TV program - you think I'm about to be raided over that episode of Holby the wife hasn't watched on Sky+ yet?

Yes, but I would also imagine that changes will be afoot in the MOT testing & DPF removal business especially in the fallout from VW's Dieselgate. It's also traditionally not been as easy on a D-CAT as you couldn't reprogramme the ECU but needed to add an emulator to fool the ECU into thinking that a DPF was still present - this may have changed recently as Denso's encryption now appears to have been cracked.

Sky+ will have all the necessary licencing etc. for recording plus, of course, they don't have an annual mandatory government ministry test for PVRs afaik :tongue:

Agree with Heidfirst and others. If predominantly short runs only, do not buy a diesel. Interesting about the DPF. I have often wondered what the (true) implications are concerning DPF removal. Worth considering perhaps given the cost of the alternative and the likelihood of being pulled up for it. I do use decent fuel though, and add Forte diesil treatment on the basis that prvention is better than cure.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links