Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

5 or 6 speed

Ian Harley

HI, I need to get a reconditioned gearbox for a T25 Avensis estate ('53) T3-X (1ZZ FE) and was wondering if it was worth (easy enough) getting a 6 speed instead of a 5 speed.  I've seen a few corollas with the 1ZZ FE have put in six speeds.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Here is a link to a previous post on the subject: 

It has been done but the top gear ratios are fairly close. It is not worth the bother if you are not getting a longer 6th over the 5th of the Avensis. The Mk3 which is 6 speed does have a longer ratio. The first 5 gears are the same as my old Mk1, with a proper overdrive 6th gear. The Celica gearbox is a close sports ratio unit, and the 6th gear matches the 5th gear of then Mk1/2 Avensis 1.8. In fact the 2 litre mk2 Avensis has longer gearing than the Celica. The cables also need a bit of modification, as mention in the post.  

Thanks for that, much appreciated.  All I could find were replies in the Corolla club that were a bit older.

I previously had a 05 Celica VVTLi with the 6 speed gearbox. The ratios were so annoying. I was forever changing gear - at 35 mph I was having to drive in 5th to lower the revs. Hated it! 

Ouch. That's good to know, thanks.  Trying to find a gearbox from a supplier that takes paypal and doesn't want a kidney and my first born now. Wish me luck ;)

Ok, received the second hand gearbox, found through 1stChoice Spares.  Just asked for a replacement gearbox for a 2003 T250 (Mk2, or facelift as he called it) Avensis Estate. Came off a running and driving 58k mile car.  I had dropped any idea about a 6 speed.  Got round to checking the gearbox yesterday and it has C60 6 stamped on it.  What's the likelyhood this isn't a six speed?

Very possible! I Googled "Toyota C60 gearbox" and got this: - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_transmission 

Scroll down to C60 and it is mainly 6 speed with some exceptions being 5 speed. 

Some other searches:

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Toyota_Gearboxes

I noticed a caution regarding J spec cars having only 5 speed!

Compare the gearboxes visually, and test the shifter mechanism. The side gate should be have 3 positions for a 5 speed plus reverse. 6 speed will have an extra positions for the dog leg reverse. 

Thanks Konrad,

I looked at those before. I checked the part number on the casing and that matches the details from the vin, but I think that's just for the casing. 

Went through the selecter and I think it's only three, but won't be certain until it fitted a tested properly. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Well, the gearbox went in ok until it came to fitting the drive shafts, wouldn't line up.  Gave the measurements to the gearbox supplier (really helpful bloke) and he's sent another gearbox.  Will try wednesday to put this one in.  Sent straight to the garage friday, so will check the markings tuesday.  Even with the C60 6 markings it was a 5 speed by the way.

Well, replacement gearbox (number 2) fitted and all is well. Had back since wednesday morning, and it's quiet an serene in the cabin.  Fitted a new clutch while the gearbox was being done.  Wondering now if I should have done the flywheel too.  Slight judder when pulling away occasionaly, but could just be the new clutch whilst its bedding in?

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

Your new clutch shouldn't judder. You wouldn't expect new brake pads to judder would you? 

On 4/2/2016 at 6:56 AM, Ian Harley said:

Well, replacement gearbox (number 2) fitted and all is well. Had back since wednesday morning, and it's quiet an serene in the cabin.  Fitted a new clutch while the gearbox was being done.  Wondering now if I should have done the flywheel too.  Slight judder when pulling away occasionaly, but could just be the new clutch whilst its bedding in?

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

On 4/2/2016 at 9:44 AM, TomdeGuerre said:

Your new clutch shouldn't judder. You wouldn't expect new brake pads to judder would you? 

Tom is correct. The clutch should be smooth. 

Did the garage clean the flywheel using something similar to brake disc cleaner or just put the clutch kit in, plus clutch alignment?

Ian, you could take it back if you are not happy.

Had eight different people drive the car and three of them said they wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't pointed it out. The other five couldn't feel anything. 

Anyway, after a couple of hundred miles I find it barely noticeable now too. 

Thanks guys

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links