Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2016 Prius Gen 4 but with Plug-in

TGL

Hello UK Prius Drivers,

Anyone have any news when the new 2016 Prius will come with a Plug-in option to extend range?  I have a Gen 3 prius (6 years old now), and to upgrade to just another Prius without Plug-in seems to me to defeat the object. I personally expect the Plug-in capability to be default as the Gen 4 upgrade.  Charging pads for mobile devices or colour HUD is not an upgrade in my mind. I know the sales literature says there is an improvement in MPG, but test drives prove this is a small increment.

I spoke to a Toyota dealer in the UK, and the sales guy said they normally hear of a new model/capability 12 months in advance, and so far he has heard nothing. This means it's likely to be the tale-end of 2017 before a plug-in model becomes a purchasable reality.

Any other knowledge out there on expected release dates?

T

It's being shown in New York on 23rd March (or so it is believed).

• Like 1

Being unveiled next week at the New York Motor Show - see my earlier topic

• Like 1

Great, thanks for the update.  I must admit I was surprised by what I was told by the UK sales guy. Thanks for your prompt responses!

Cheers!

sales guys want you to buy what is available now - they don't want to have you hold off for a new model/facelift etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heidfirst said:

sales guys want you to buy what is available now - they don't want to have you hold off for a new model/facelift etc.

Agreed, interestingly this guy wasn't cocky or anything. I had lots of questions about the standard 2016 Prius model, some of which I expected him to know the answers to, but he just honestly said "you have lots of questions for which I don't have answers", and then proceeded to look in the literature. Some may view that negatively, but I much prefer a sales guy to be honest about stuff.  I was also very open with him by saying I'm only interested in the plug-in Prius, and I didn't sense this sales guy trying to persuade me otherwise.  In a conversation lasting no more than 10 minutes at the end he asked for my contact details and said he would let me know when the new Plug-in equivalent Prius would be available.

Having said that, I have experienced sales guys at Toyota dealerships being the complete opposite in terms of behaviour! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that only 1,600 of the the 2012 to date model Plug In Prius have been sold in the UK in just under 4 years, so at first sight not worthwhile for Toyota to sell the new version in the UK.  I think that the MItusubishi PHEV stole the UK market (justifiably so with the more practical EV range that Mitusbishi offer).

The new Plug In Prius rectifies the Battery range issue (Quoted 31 miles means real life 23 miles I expect **) but - here's a downer - some reports are that the new Plug In Prius will be a  four (4) seater rather than a five (5) seater - probably copying the Vauxhall Ampera's idea of having a central "tunnel" to house the Battery in the passenger compartment, so lose the midlle rear seat.

** Multiply quoted European test Battery range by 0.75 to give real life EV battery range.    The USA tests are more realistic and quote 22 miles for the new model in the USA.

On 25 March 2016 at 8:25 PM, DMGbus said:

It appears that only 1,600 of the the 2012 to date model Plug In Prius have been sold in the UK in just under 4 years, so at first sight not worthwhile for Toyota to sell the new version in the UK. 

Yet the new model is going to be nothing like the current, so I'd disagree.

Only reason the outlander PHEV has done so well is being priced the same as the Diesel model, and capturing most of the Chelsea tractor market who normally only drive locally and have big driveways to be able to park and charge on.

16 hours ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

the Chelsea tractor market who normally only drive locally and have big driveways to be able to park and charge on.

and will able to do most of their journeys on electric = savings on fuel AND particulate filters. WIN WIN WIN

17 hours ago, MEP's Yaris GS said:

Yet the new model is going to be nothing like the current, so I'd disagree.

Only reason the outlander PHEV has done so well is being priced the same as the Diesel model, and capturing most of the Chelsea tractor market who normally only drive locally and have big driveways to be able to park and charge on.

If toyota had priced the PIP reasonably, instead of trying to pocket the £5,000 grant, then they would have sold much better.  

I eventually looked seriously at buying one, because the Drive The Deal price ended up similar to that of the regular Prius T-Spirit. However, the combination of serious rattles (on a 10,000 mile demonstrator), and a drab colour range which SWMBO refused to consider. 

As the price of a 2016 Prius Excel turned out to be cheaper, without the rattles, and at least two acceptable colours. I took that route, as I suspect that the price of the new PIP will be as inflated as the last PIP. I don't think Toyota GB is capable of learning from its mistakes, and I don't think the current discount levels will last. So, much as a plug-in fits well with my driving patterns, I don't think the fuel savings will cover the likely extra cost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ancient Nerd said:

... I don't think Toyota GB is capable of learning from its mistakes,

... So, much as a plug-in fits well with my driving patterns, I don't think the fuel savings will cover the likely extra cost.

I used to think that, and still do a little, but not as much - witness the new Prius, option to switch to 15" wheels on top two levels (and get a £400 rebate to boot), no cost option for spare wheel on those models without it, folding mirrors now linked to central locking (only 15 years late!) - now that's progress.  Oh yes, and the much hated flying bridge gone.

OK, I'd still like a long list of options like a Volvo I ordered 20 years ago, but any progress is welcome.

Re PiP, I'd have loved the old model, and would have paid the price IF it had a spare wheel (which was securely mounted under the boot floor) - I once drove a converted 2007 Plug in which was done by a small firm of 6 guys - it did almost 40 miles on a charge AND had a spare under the boot floor - if a tinpot firm could do this 9 years ago, Toyota's engineers should have been able to in their sleep!

The new plugin, if it has the range mooted, would be almost my perfect car IF it has 4WD AND a spare wheel, but I'm don't expect that so will be 95% happy with my white 2016 Prius Excel with 15" wheels and a spare wheel, when it finally arrives (still estimating late June).

14 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I used to think that, and still do a little, but not as much - witness the new Prius, option to switch to 15" wheels on top two levels (and get a £400 rebate to boot), no cost option for spare wheel on those models without it, folding mirrors now linked to central locking (only 15 years late!) - now that's progress.  Oh yes, and the much hated flying bridge gone.

OK, I'd still like a long list of options like a Volvo I ordered 20 years ago, but any progress is welcome.

Re PiP, I'd have loved the old model, and would have paid the price IF it had a spare wheel (which was securely mounted under the boot floor) - I once drove a converted 2007 Plug in which was done by a small firm of 6 guys - it did almost 40 miles on a charge AND had a spare under the boot floor - if a tinpot firm could do this 9 years ago, Toyota's engineers should have been able to in their sleep!

The new plugin, if it has the range mooted, would be almost my perfect car IF it has 4WD AND a spare wheel, but I'm don't expect that so will be 95% happy with my white 2016 Prius Excel with 15" wheels and a spare wheel, when it finally arrives (still estimating late June).

The more I read about the 2016 PiP I might just go for the 2016 Prius and get it converted to a plug-in.  There is a reputable US firm who also have agents in the UK and Europe who do this for US$5,000 including labour and parts, and extends the range of the Prius to 800MPG (Gen 3 numbers - average reported). It will be still cheaper than buying the PiP, and I'll still keep my 5 seats! (Assuming the reports are true that the 2016 PiP is a 4 seater).

If I switched from my gen3 prius to a plug in prius, I would save about £700 a year in running costs. So buying a brand new one was never going to be cost effective.  Had the £5K grant brought the PiP price down to the gen3 level, MrT would have sold loads.

Check out 2nd hand prices for PiPs and gen3.

For example: 65 plates:

PiP: 3.5K miles £22,990;

Gen3 TSpirit: 3K miles £23,995; 6K miles £22,000

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links