Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SR180 Smoking ??turbo

tomosllyr

I've done a search and looked at other posts, but none seem to fit in with my Auris' presentation.

Basically, I've noticed since getting the car that intermittently doing 70mph on a motorway I will get a short puff of smoke (1-2 seconds). I've always assumed that this is the cleaning process and it has never worried me. Recently, I've noticed more soke though. It's still mostly a couple of seconds, but it happens much more frequently and at different speeds/revs. I was driving on A-roads earlier today and for a spell I noticed it every 10 seconds or so doing 60mph in 5th. I've also noticed intermittently over the past couple of weeks a longer spell of smoking on accelerating, lasting a good few seconds and leaving a lingering smoke cloud behind me. It's definitely intermittent, but seems to happen when the engine is warm rather than cold (although its far from happening every time I accelerate when warm).

It's difficult to tell because of the tint to the rear window, but I get the impression that the smoke is quite light in colour.

I don't think the car is any slower - it doesn't surprise me under acceleration any more, but I think that's more of me being used to it.

The car has done 112k, but had the engine changed by Toyota at 56k. It has full service history and had a service 1k ago in a Toyota garage. I've tried to clean the EGR yearly, and last cleaned it a week ago when I started getting worried about the smoke - it was extremely clogged considering I'd cleaned it 10k ago. I regularly run sysem cleaners through it, and in the last two weeks it's had a tank of shell's nitro+ diesel with miller's and a tank of the same diesel with wynne's. I drive 68 miles to and from work everyday, 60 of which are on a motorway, and in the last week it's had a lot of quite firm driving on A-roads in an attempt to clean it out, but it doesnt seem to have helped. So whilst driving today I attached my bluetooth OBD dongle to it, and got a maximum psi of 15 (I'm sure I read somewhere it should be 22).

Anyone have any thoughts/advice? Have I got anything to be worried about?

It should be about 21/22 PS but if it needs a Regen it will off the boost ... best bet is to put more premium fuel in and only ever run it on premium fuel get it up to temptation then on the motorway at 70 mph in 4th gear for about 25 mins that will help burn it off a bit 

Also give the egr a good clean out as well 

See this all the time with DPF fitted vehicles 

That's what I've tried to explain in the first post though - I've done all that but the problem's still there which is why I'm worried it's something else

at 112k perhaps the DPF is full hence cannot regenerate properly?

You said you cleaned the egr once a year do it every 10k miles 

You didn't mention the DPF, that sounds like your issue as I said in my previous comment try that and see what happens its all about getting it up to heat to burn for the DPF 

90% of my driving is motorway miles, so it should be getting up to temperature anyway, and when I started noticing the smoke more I took it out for a hard drive for an hour, and since then I've regularly let it cruise on 70mph in 4th for periods, but it doesnt seem to have helped.

I’d think if your problem was DPF related you’d be getting a warning from the EML due to fault codes being generated. It could be your turbo is worn and the internal seals are starting to leak. Take off the intercooler hoses and check for oil dripping out. Worn seals can also allow oil to leak into your exhaust system which will produce blue grey smoke. 

If it's just regening you won't get an eml, if it's packed in you will.

I would check for boost leaks if your down on turbo pressure and look for oil leaks they will be a little oil in the pipes anyway from the breather into the intake but of your oil level is holding fine then your looking at other issues 

I have the same problem - and have done for a few months now.

Getting a bit worried! 

I'm on 94,000miles - Full Toyota service history, it isn't eating oil or coolant - engine change was done at 70,000miles too.

On mine it appears that the DPF is regenerating constantly - I can only assume this is because it's full / nearing end of life. I'm just waiting for the dreaded day when it finally gives up!

Hi Guys

i'm reading all your comments and whats this about engine changes? its getting me a little worried because i haven't heard that before. i brought a Auris SR180 3 months ago on a 59 plate with 20k on the clock, full service history and 1 previous owner. is this something going to have to look at doing in the near future? 

Thanks 

Laith

Toyota's 1AD & 2AD series engines (in Auris, Avensis, RAV4, Lexus IS) can develop a head/headgasket problem in a small % of those made within a certain production timescale (varies by car model, for your car up until end of September 2009). If your car truly is a 2010 as in your profile then hopefully you are outwith the extent of the problem.

Toyota had an extended goodwill warranty (basically an exchange engine minus ancillaries) for those that developed it but that was limited to 7 years or 112k miles which means that it is now coming to an end.

If you want to read more see e.g. 

Thanks for your reply Scott. my reg is GY59 and was first registered in October 2009 which is why i,m a bit worried about if it has the new engine or not.

Do you know of any way you can tell if it is the new engine in there or the old one. is there any differences in looks between the 2?

Thanks for your help

Laith

If it was registered in October 2009 I imagine that actual manufacture date falls within the potentially affected range. However, your car is now outwith the limits for the goodwill warranty extension.

I can't imagine that there is any way to tell from the outside of the engine. You can ask a Toyota dealer for it's service history. If it's had a warranty replacement it will be on their system.

Presumably it would also show up on MyToyota if you have signed up for that.

• 4 weeks later...

silly question perhaps

when you clean the egr do you take it apart so you can extend and compress the spring? I had the same problem until I did, I found a small build up that was not allowing the 'top hat' to close properly that left a half a mm gap, but it was enough to let it smoke, once cleaned properly it is perfect, I clean it this way every time now.