Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 1.8 TR Saloon Valvematic Bumper collision and damaged parking sensor query.

Drawingbreath

I had the unfortunate luck to have my rear bumper badly knocked today. I've had a few minor bumps in the past, but only small cosmetic problems. Today, the collision managed to shatter the brittle paint work on the bumper and also break one of the sensors, seemingly taking most of the impact.

I have no idea how much something like this would cost to fix. It clearly needs a repaint to stop the lacquer from coming off in shards, but I've no idea what to expect in pricing. What would be reasonable? Is it something that I could undertake myself? I was looking at the fixings under the car and they appear to be plastic snapping connectors that look like they won't budge without breaking off. Am I right? Can I remove the bumper safely without damaging the fixings?

As for the parking sensor, can new ones be purchased, or now that it has come away from the panel, does an entirely new bumper need to be bought?

I've tried looking for a Hayne's manual, but there doesn't seem to be one to allow me to get my hands dirty with some knowledge.

Any advice gratefully received.

• Like 1

There isn't a Haynes manual for your car. However, if you fill in the details on http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/avensis you should be able to come across diagrams of how the parts/structure work.

Modern cars tend to be designed with the plastic bumpers as sacrificial cosmetic parts over a deformable reinforcement bar.

You might want to post some photos to show the extent of the damage.

A full bumper repaint could run to a couple of hundred pounds, if it doesn't need that then a SMART repair by somebody like Chipsawaymight be £50-70.

49 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

There isn't a Haynes manual for your car. However, if you fill in the details on http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2009/avensis you should be able to come across diagrams of how the parts/structure work.

Modern cars tend to be designed with the plastic bumpers as sacrificial cosmetic parts over a deformable reinforcement bar.

You might want to post some photos to show the extent of the damage.

A full bumper repaint could run to a couple of hundred pounds, if it doesn't need that then a SMART repair by somebody like Chipsawaymight be £50-70.

Thanks for the informative post. I started with knowing nothing, so this is a great help. I had a feeling that the paint job would likely cost in the region of anything up to £500, so after checking the Chipsaway site, at least I can see that it's very likely to cost under £200. There doesn't appear to be any major structural damage. It's just having a paint lacquered bumper means every single tiny bump and knock is there for all to see with it's tiny impact zones showing up like a spider's web. The other car with a conventional black vinyl bumper looked like nothing happened. Mine looked like a substantial collision had taken place, instead of the 5mph knock that it was.

I will try and post some photos this week to get more experienced eyes on the matter.

Thanks.