Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Engine starts with a slight jerk?

Wayne2015

When stationary in EV mode with handbrake on and P position, when petrol engine kicks in - why is there a slight forward jerk in car movement (as if car trying to creep forward but can't with handbrake on and in P position)?:ohmy::blink:

11 hours ago, Wayne2015 said:

When stationary in EV mode with handbrake on and P position, when petrol engine kicks in - why is there a slight forward ***** in car movement (as if car trying to creep forward but can't with handbrake on and in P position)?:ohmy::blink:

Its normal, and its only noticeable when in P and handbrake off - if you're noticing it with handbrake on then your handbrake can't be working properly as it should be holding the car solid.

Handbrake is on!:ohmy:

3 hours ago, Wayne2015 said:

Handbrake is on!:ohmy:

Well it can't be working properly if the car moves with it on - in Park yes there should be some slight movement, but not with the hand/parking brake on. I'd get that sorted as it'll be an MOT failure for sure.

Maybe I different explain right

I meant there is no wheel movement

But can the initial jerk of the car, but it dosent move.

I thought ONLY when u are in gear u get this creeping auto jerk?

Maybe I different explain right

I meant there is no wheel movement

But can the initial ***** of the car, but it dosent move.

I thought ONLY when u are in gear u get this creeping auto *****?

Nope, that's quite normal, it's just the torque of MG1 starting the ice, you very rarely feel it when moving, but when stopped the 'stationary lurch' , can be noticeable.

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

• Like 4

Awww - is that it - cool :smile:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

when I turn off the car with engine on to charge the Battery i apply P and handbrake the car ***** its like jumping after 5 min when i start the car its ***** again this happened only when the engine on to charge the Battery ???

I need help please   

18 hours ago, samer said:

when I turn off the car with engine on to charge the battery i apply P and handbrake the car ***** its like jumping after 5 min when i start the car its ***** again this happened only when the engine on to charge the battery ???

I need help please   

Try waiting till the engine stops before turning it off.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 10:10 AM, kithmo said:

I always wait for a charge cycle to finish before I turn off, even if its just spinning off some energy from the Battery.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, samer said:

It’s take few minutes 

If you turn off the HVAC, it will usually stop in less than a minute.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 3:36 PM, samer said:

when I turn off the car with engine on to charge the battery i apply P and handbrake the car ***** its like jumping after 5 min when i start the car its ***** again this happened only when the engine on to charge the battery ???

I need help please   

On 10/11/2020 at 10:10 PM, kithmo said:

This is the best advice.

Why are you running the car to charge the Battery anyway?

38 minutes ago, Joseph D said:

This is the best advice.

Why are you running the car to charge the battery anyway?

We are not but the car decides and when she runs the ice to charge the Battery never cut it off as if you do so you may get yourself into a trouble including engine knocking on your next start, low Battery if you decide to leave the car for long periods of time, non start issues and hybrid system check lights on dashboard, very important never to turn hybrid Toyota off while ice is running except if the car is in maintenance mode for a service procedure. 
Regards 

Hi where did you get the information about never turning off the car if the ice is running I have never heard of this and I have been driving a Prius since 2007

• 4 months later...
On 3/23/2016 at 9:33 PM, Wayne2015 said:

When stationary in EV mode with handbrake on and P position, when petrol engine kicks in - why is there a slight forward ***** in car movement (as if car trying to creep forward but can't with handbrake on and in P position)?:ohmy::blink:

Normal. Less noticeable with later models

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links