Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paying before delivery

RunningInPleasePass

I went into my local Toyota Main Dealer, had a test drive of a Gen 4 Prius, then decided to buy. 

The Sales Guy said he had a couple of new cars on order for delivery in early April, one of them the right colour and spec that I wanted.

I got a good deal because I agreed to have the car registered in March, so I signed the contract and paid a deposit.

The other day I had a call to ask me if I would pay the balance by the end of March, with the car being delivered about a week or so later, I said no.

It was suggested I was unusual in not paying before delivery as other customers had done so, and if I did not, they may have to cancel my order and refund my deposit because the deal required the car be registered and paid for before April, I still refused.

The Sales Guy then said he would phone me back when he had checked a few things, he came back and said the car was now due in the first few days of April, so the deal could go ahead as I would be paying for it so early in April.

Has anybody else been asked to pay for a car before they had seen it, and was I being unusual in refusing?

Never. And I think I've had two cars registered early like yours.

It should be low risk if you've paid your deposit with a credit card, but I still wouldn't do it. It sounds like the dealer may have cash flow problems.

• Like 1

As above, deposit only, and then no more than £1k personally, balance on collection with the good old chip and pin.

• Like 1

Had 18 new cars over the years and always paid the balance on the day of collection.

• Like 1

used to when they had to wait for a cheque/draught to clear but these days with debit cards it's straight out of your account into theirs (they won't take large sums of cash anymore due to money laundering regulations).

• Like 1

Have you taken advantage of the 4.9% finance offer that ends on 31st March?

It might be down to the way your dealer has interpreted the terms of the offer. If you order a new Prius after that date, then that offer wouldn't be available (but MrT will possibly have another offer - I just hope it's not 0% as I've just bought one).

• Like 1

No, it's a cash sale.

I think most agree I've done the right thing, you need to see the car before you pay for it.

Toyota's marketing offers are renewed every three months - usually end of March, end of June, end of September,and end of December. Some offers do get carried over from one quarter to another. Dealers often don't get informed what the next quarter's offers are until immediately before the start of that quarter.

39 minutes ago, RunningInPleasePass said:

No, it's a cash sale.

I think most agree I've done the right thing, you need to see the car before you pay for it.

Yes, in that case I totally agree with the others. May be it has something to do with the end of the financial year and they haven't made their annual sales quota (I hush-a-my-mouth)

• Like 1

I paid a deposit but otherwise the car was registered and ready for collection before I paid anything else. I paid the remainder after I inspected *the* car.

If they insist that you pay for the whole car before collection, run away! Something is not right. If they go bust, they have your money AND the car!

• Like 1

I think that is good advice.

I paid a deposit, and refused to pay the balance before delivery for the very same reason you stated, the company could go bust then you've lost the lot, but to be fair, I think the reason they asked for the balance early was more to do with accounting, and not because they are going bust. 

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, thecaretaker said:

Have you taken advantage of the 4.9% finance offer that ends on 31st March?

It might be down to the way your dealer has interpreted the terms of the offer. If you order a new Prius after that date, then that offer wouldn't be available (but MrT will possibly have another offer - I just hope it's not 0% as I've just bought one).

Plus the £1000 Toyota gives towards the deposit on finance is a good offer.

Have the issue of finance at the moment, ordered a Rav4 Hybrid but delivery not expected til the end of July, going for the 0% and dealer not sure will be valid when car delivered, have pointed out that deposit is paid and finance is agreed. Will wait and see. If not honoured, will ask for more money off and cash purchase.

13 minutes ago, WarrenB said:

Have the issue of finance at the moment, ordered a Rav4 Hybrid but delivery not expected til the end of July, going for the 0% and dealer not sure will be valid when car delivered, have pointed out that deposit is paid and finance is agreed. Will wait and see. If not honoured, will ask for more money off and cash purchase.

As regards the finance offers, these are always limited to car registered within the current offer period.Example:  0% APR Representative only available on new retail orders of RAV4 between 18th December 2015 and 31st March 2016 and registered and financed through Toyota Financial Services by 30th June 2016 on a 2 year AccessToyota (PCP) plan with 0%-32% deposit.

Toyota do change their offers on a three monthly cycle, so it is possible that if yours is registered outside the offer period, a different offer may apply.

Yes, just checked online and the car needs to be registered prior to the end of June. I did point this out, but was told it would be honoured.

Actually saying that, if the deal involves a deposit contribution then I would take it, then pay it off 2 months later.

Apart from that and no update from the dealer since deposit paid in mid feb, I eagerly await my Rav4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links