Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are the new style models better than the old?

fordulike

I personally think that the 2005-2014 model Aygo is an amazing achievement. It's a jack of all trades kinda car, but for the price, one can overlook it's shortcomings.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on any owners who have owned the older model and also the newer style.

Have they upped the quality of the car in general, or made any improvements over the old car? Has the leakiness been sorted out?

The car is essentially the same, same engine, same gear boxes, same body. The only thing that has changed is more tweaking and cosmetic change that has gone in to the new model making it "better" and that after almost 10 years between the two models! It has carried over few strong genes from the old car (a good thing) and unfortunately even the weak genes (MMT gear box for example). There is no generation shift here if that is what you are implying.

Sorry to sound so negative, but we expected Toyota and company to put more thought and effort in to the new model when their competitors are literally bringing out new or better car much more quickly (Hyundai i10, VW UP etc). We expect more from Toyota!

• Like 1

No real experience of the new car but from observation, I think they've tweeked the boot so you don't get a river onto your parcel shelf when you open it up in the rain?!

I think that the new parcel shelf is functionally very clever in terms of boot access, but not so much if you put stuff on top of it?!

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Personally I think that the Aygo has aged really well, still stands out and still looks contemporary. I however accept the need to move on cosmetically, but I think the 108 is the winner on looks among the gen 2 citybugs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rajivrattna said:

The car is essentially the same, same engine, same gear boxes, same body. 

We expect more from Toyota!

The Aygo/C1/107-8 isn't just Toyota's product - it was co-developed and is produced by the joint venture between Toyota and PSA (Peugeot/Citroen), rather than either of the two companies separately. The new version was also produced at the time PSA were losing money heavily and before they were rescued by the French Government and the Chinese manufacturer, Dongfeng Motors. Presumably money constraints on behalf of PSA meant a completely new model wasn't on the cards.

The bodyshell has had major changes to the windscreen/bulkhead areas and has been strengthened for greater safety and rigidity.

• Like 1

we have had an 2009 aygo black and a 2014 facelift not the mk2 version, i personally

dont like the new version of the aygo and prefer the original design,my dislikes of the

new aygo are the following:-

the big cross on the front

the tailgate door

the rear door windows are too small

sales staff tell you there is more boot space maybe 1" more, nothing to talk about

• Like 1

I like the performance of the new Aygo, drives like a bigger car despite it being a 1 litre engine. I have a 2014 mk1 older model and have never had such a lack of amenities compared to the Honda Jazz or Yaris I had before where I could control the front passenger side window from the driver's side, have electric controlled wing mirrors and even an interior light that comes on when you open any door. So I'll be glad to swap for another car next year and I will be giving other car models like the I10 some consideration.

• Like 1

I've had a 2010 model and 2015. Loved the original car and kept it almost four years without any problems. The new car looks good, has more toys, great on fuel and running costs. That's were the positives end. I know it's built to a budget but things like the rear parcel shelf and cramped rear are unacceptable in this age. The car is hardly cheap at almost 12k so expected more. The i10 I sat in put it to shame. The biggest issue for me was comfort. Even after a 5 min journey I would find it uncomfortable. It gave me back ache even though I've never suffered from back problems in my life. I bought no end of cushions to resolve the problem but ended up selling it as I hated driving it. Despite what they say they don't hold there value too well. Shame as the first attempt was the best city car around at the time but other makes have beaten the new generation by miles. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martin1973 said:

I bought no end of cushions to resolve the problem but ended up selling it as I hated driving it. Despite what they say they don't hold there value too well.

Everyone knows that depreciation is heaviest in the first year, and that applies to any car.

As you've sold the Aygo, please amend your profile to show what vehicle you currently have.

Profile amended as requested.

i got mine ex demo for 9.5k, that's 2.5k off list. It was 4 months old and done 4K miles. Sold it two months later for 8k. That would be a 33% drop or 4K drop in six months. Pretty harsh compared to the VW Up

According to WhatCar the rates of depreciation are very, very similar. As it's not a class of car that I know which model/versions compare exactly I just picked 2 with same engine/doors. Very similar curve indeed.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-depreciation-calculator/results?edition1=45299&makeId=25321&modelVersionId=32663&editionId=38713

52 minutes ago, Martin1973 said:

Profile amended as requested.

i got mine ex demo for 9.5k, that's 2.5k off list. It was 4 months old and done 4K miles. Sold it two months later for 8k. That would be a 33% drop or 4K drop in six months. Pretty harsh compared to the VW Up

.... but you would have had a similar drop with whatever you bought as you changed before the car was 1 year old - which is when the heaviest depreciation takes place. Two owners in six months would also have had an effect on the p/x price, would raise questions in the mind of most prospective purchasers, and would be harder for the dealer taking in the part exchange to sell as a used car. 

6 hours ago, Martin1973 said:

I got mine ex demo for 9.5k, that's 2.5k off list. It was 4 months old and done 4K miles. Sold it two months later for 8k. That would be a 33% drop or 4K drop in six months. Pretty harsh compared to the VW Up

Not really.  The loss you suffered is realistically the dealers mark up.  They'll sell ot on again for £9 to £9.5k.  If you'd kept it for a further 4 months you'd probably have got towards the same £8k.

I agree the depriciation is similar but you led to believe that city cars and Toyota do better than average. The car was priced at 9k but ended up being dropped to £8,700 which is a bargain for a car well under a year old. It was the expression model with metallic paint and five doors. The buyers probably got money off that price too. 

I agree it's not good to sell a car at that age but I really had no choice and just had to get shot of it quickly. Shame as the Mk1 Aygo was the longest car I've ever kept. 

Whilst we're on the subject of value, I plan to keep mine to the 5 year point and trade in for one of the new models.

What would be a realistic Toyota main dealer trade in price for a 5 year old Fire A/C with FSH and around 28,000 miles on the clock?

On 24/03/2016 at 2:02 PM, eygo said:

we have had an 2009 aygo black and a 2014 facelift not the mk2 version, i personally

dont like the new version of the aygo and prefer the original design,my dislikes of the

new aygo are the following:-

the big cross on the front  - I quite like it, very distinctive . Peugot &  Cirtroen versions are dull by comparison IMHO

the tailgate door -  Opens and closes and keeps the rain out.  Maybe I should expect more.

the rear door windows are too small -  Too small for what ?  I find the small opening perfect for leaving discreetly open on hot days to stop the inside becoming like an oven. Personally I REALLY don't want any back set passenger messing around rolling the windows up and down.

sales staff tell you there is more boot space maybe 1" more, nothing to talk about -  Holds 4 or 5 well filled bags from Waitrose - But will concede that  booze may sometimes have to go on the back seat.

5 minutes ago, fordulike said:

Whilst we're on the subject of value, I plan to keep mine to the 5 year point and trade in for one of the new models.

What would be a realistic Toyota main dealer trade in price for a 5 year old Fire A/C with FSH and around 28,000 miles on the clock?

Very difficult to predict - one can have a look at sites such as CAP or Glass's to get an idea of five year old Aygo values now, but that will only give you a snapshot of the situation now. Some dealer sites now include a valuation tool where one can get an idea of the value of a part exchange - could try one of those.  I believe the used car market is currently depressed due to high numbers of vehicles entering the used car market at the end of 1 year and 3 year PCP's. It also depends on the supply and demand factor - ie if a car is sought after prices remain high, if not, or if the car has a low profile, values may be softer.

• Like 1

I got £4K for one 4 years old but top of the range model with Air Con and 50k on the clock. Originally offered 3.6k but I haggled. You should expect at least 3k I would say. 

7 minutes ago, Martin1973 said:

I got £4K for one 4 years old but top of the range model with Air Con and 50k on the clock. Originally offered 3.6k but I haggled. You should expect at least 3k I would say. 

I'd be happy with 3k :smile:

3 hours ago, Dark Matter said:
3 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

in comparisson to the original aygo the rear windows look alot smaller.

with regards to the tailgate i dont like the look of it and the logos

i wasn;t comparing the aygo to the peugeot or citroen i dont think the big cross

looks nice on any of the aygo's unless the black cross is on a black car but you cant have that option.

That's 3k at worse, you probably get better than that. 

The X is like marmite, u either love it or hate it. I personally liked it as it made it stand out although I agree they should let you have the same colour option. Think the back being a different colour didn't work. The tailgate from memory was the same as the old car. Boot looked the same too. The rear seats and space did look smaller and compared to other city cars was poor. people didn't like being in the back of the car for long. 

Think the car was good and Toyota made it felt so well put together but it just wasn't for me. Surprisingly the engine made it feel nippy yet I was getting 60mpg, about 7-8p a mile. If you don't need the space or luxury feel and can live with the ride then it's a good cheap runabout. 

I've bought a 15 plate expression recently and straight away I noticed that if you open the boot and there's a slight gust of wind the parcel shelf (which is made of some very very lightweight fabric) flys off its brackets, the shelf doesn't fit brackets properly - very poor design - why didn't they leave the old style shelf !

I've had my car back to the dealership several times for window rattles, problems with the seat belt holder but the worse thing is the very poor quality of the interior especially the door cards which are already marked. 

The goods things

It's fun to drive,

it isn't as noisy on the motorway,

fuel consumption is fantastic I've managed to get 55mpg in town,

zero tax,

14 hours ago, Orange ninja said:

I've bought a 15 plate expression recently and straight away I noticed that if you open the boot and there's a slight gust of wind the parcel shelf (which is made of some very very lightweight fabric) flys off its brackets, the shelf doesn't fit brackets properly - very poor design - why didn't they leave the old style shelf !

I've had my car back to the dealership several times for window rattles, problems with the seat belt holder but the worse thing is the very poor quality of the interior especially the door cards which are already marked. 

The goods things

It's fun to drive,

it isn't as noisy on the motorway,

fuel consumption is fantastic I've managed to get 55mpg in town,

zero tax,

I agree with the parcel shelf.  It is rather flimsy but it does “fit” the brackets if you align it correctly.   It may seem odd but you have to flex (i.e. bend) the shelf to get it to snap into place. I also agree that the quality of the plastic is a bit basic but seems hard wearing – so I don’t understand how yours is getting marked so badly.  I have had a couple of door card scuffs from getting in and out , but they are  easily removed with a magic sponge. Small amounts of bumper trim renovator is quite effective at removing /hiding scuffs as well on the sort of hard textured finish used in the interior.
 But it is what it is.   A cheap run around whose shortcomings (for me) are overcome by the economy, fun factor and pretty good equipment levels. 

My door cards were marked badley when I got the car as it was a ex demo with only 800 miles on the clock, dealer promised to change them for a better set as the marks looks like really deep ring scratches, i booked the car into the dealer and they said that it was just general wear! I've scratched them very lightly myself getting in and out with bags etc but I do agree what you get for your money on fuel savings and gadgets does outweigh the minor moans.

Thanks for the top tips I will try the magic sponge thing at the weekend and have a go at the parcel shelf today.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has got the Nav system on their mk2, is it any good?

At £400 it's very pricey considering the screen is already in the car. Didn't get it myself as it just didn't seem good value for money. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links