Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 as a tow car

Aamcle

Evening All.

I'm going to be looking for a small(ish) 4 X 4 as an occasional tow vehicle and the Rav 4 seems about the right kerb weight. I will be looking at older cars 6 - 7 years old.

Can you recomend the Rav for towing?  

Are they generaly reliable, other than the AD engine models?

Any faults to look out for? Turbo failures?

Many thanks for your help.

Aamcle

Hiya. We have a '58 plate / Oct 08 RAV4 2.2 D4D XTR which we bought to tow our caravan (Avondale Arrow 470/2) & also our two trailers (max 750kg). First thing to note is that Toyota advice needs following *carefully* - ie use 4th gear tops, maybe 5th very occasionally / sparingly (flat / downhill) - but forget 6th. If not, it will cost you a new clutch....? Caravan & towing forums (inc queries I placed with the Caravan Club) do not highly recommend the RAV4 for towing as there are (apparently) a number of cases of clutches burnt out / needing replacing due to folks not sticking to 4th gear when towing within the 85% kerbweight limit. Our Avondale was well within the 85% limit; we have now sold it & bought a campervan. Otherwise we love our RAV4. :biggrin:  

Thanks it's off the list.

ATB.       aamcle

Have never tried reversing caravan nor trailer up a slope - I'd imagine the clutch wouldn't like it one bit... :biggrin: 

Hi,

we have been towing successfully our 1300 kg caravan with our 2013 2.2 manual for the last two years. We've been down to the Alsace region of France via the Ardennes with no problems and it quite happily runs along in 5th or even 6th on the motorways at 60mph. 

Get the Lower gear changes in early, keep the revs up and it's running as a really good tow car. Clearly we are well within its maximum towing weight

• Like 1

I have towed our 1400kg caravan many miles in the last 3 years without any problems what so ever and as for towing in fourth only, well each to his own !!

Just quoting the Toyota towing stuff :) We towed in 5th & 6th too for the 5 years we had our caravan. 

10 hours ago, Aamcle said:

Thanks it's off the list.

ATB.       aamcle

It's been discounted after the first reply, so it looks like further posts are wasted .....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links