Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Damage limitation

fixitphil

Awhile ago whilst trying to fault find engine running condition, I cut into the signal output lead from the MAP sensor to try to up the output voltage. Why don't ask, it was a stupid idea.  I joined the wire again with (very cheap)crimp connectors.  All was well for quiet awhile.  Just lately whilst pulling away / little acceleration applied engine would gently surge and jump as if dabbing accelerator pedal.  On old cars with a worn mechanical distributor (advance/!Removed! centrifugal weights) this was common.  I thought about a poor signal condition from MAP sensor could account for this. This day I soldered all the crimp connector and wire junction site.  A totally redeemed smooth running was the result.  Lesson!!!  if using crimp connectors on a signal wire always buy good quality and the correct crimp tool (not pliers).    I believe oxidation was the problem.

Also had the occasion to snap the plastic engine oil dipstick (DIPSTICK am I)    the plastic is drying out with time and therefore less resilient to rough handling.   So I have about two inches of the stick in my hand and way down the tube the other twelve inches approx.   I got it out easily with a bicycle wheel spoke with the nut removed, This allowed me to slide spoke, whilst rotating clockwise (the spoke that is) down past the lost twelve inches, pulled out and out shot the lost piece.  As a confirmed tightubik I was able to fit a tight fitting tube splint over the break with the addition of a little ARALDITE.  Superb. I was sweating for a few minutes though.

I also have replaced the ignition switch starter module, £30 quid s/h from Japarts.    Also fitted a hot button direct from Battery via 40 amp fuse to starter solenoid just in case this or relay happens to fail in future. Fitted press to make button in the fuse compartment in engine bay.

Good car though. I would not dare to drive one of these drive by wire or wireless high tech vehicles. 

Enough of me ranting on.

Ta Ta

• Like 1