Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No screws on front disc

GaryTo

Hi I had my front discs replaced on my Avensis as they were warped.When the discs were replaced there is slight movement because the mechanic didnt replace the two retaining screws ( well  thats what im hoping the problem is )   Anyway . Is it easy to buy these screws as if im going over uneven surfaces i hear the discs juddering.  Any help will be greatly appreciated

The lack of screws is unlikely to cause any rattling. The wheel nuts effectively sandwich the disc tightly between the hub and wheel rim.  

The rattling could be due to worn slider pins on the brake caliper. There's been a few posts about this recently. 

1 hour ago, gazza1286 said:

The lack of screws is unlikely to cause any rattling. The wheel nuts effectively sandwich the disc tightly between the hub and wheel rim.  

The rattling could be due to worn slider pins on the brake caliper. There's been a few posts about this recently. 

Thanks I saw the mechanic lubricating the slider pins and they looked to be moving in and out quite freely. How would I know if they are worn m8  

It may not be that then. With the wheels off and the front of the car on jack stands grab the caliper body and pull/push inwards and outwards. Any excess float or rattle would become apparent. 

Other than that rattles on the front could be worn anti roll bar bushes or drop links. Possibly worn track rod ends if the steering is vague. 

If the noise has appeared since the new disks I would also consider looking at the pad clips which could damaged, missing or incorrectly seated - Causing the pads to rattle. 

Good luck 

A lot of the time the screws heads are damaged or rusted away or just siezed solid so the easiest way to get them off is hammer the old discs off which would leave the snapped screw threads stopping new screws to be fitted, theres no reason anyone wouldnt fit the old screws back in or fit new ones if they came with the discs, so i think you might find the old ones snapped in the holes, but shouldnt do any harm as the wheel studs through the wheels hold the discs in place anyway:-)

• 2 weeks later...

the calliper body have brake pad sliders that can become lost - right pita for brake pad rattling about

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links