Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Mk 1 Rear Wiper not working

Dave MacLeod

Hi everyone I have just bought a replacement old Avensis Mk 1 (1.8 VVT-i) to cover my original, which was written off a few days ago with a seized engine.

The new car looks and generally runs well apart from that the rear wiper does not seem to be working.

Can anyone advise best course of action. Can't really afford to take it to the garage.
I am hoping fuse has gone but don't have information as to fuse location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

If is a common problem with the Mk1. If you can locate your old car, go and retrieve the wiper motor and wiper control stalk. I assume your old car was hatchback too! 

Make sure you retain the rubber seal too. Water ingress probably cause the motor failure of the wiper motor.

The fuse is the same for both front and rear.

Go through your current car and check for other issues, so you can get hard to get parts from the old car.

• Like 1

Thanks again for your help Konrad. I will look into that. Shame it uses common fuse for both sets of wipers. :sad:

Good news Konrad. I swapped over the rear wiper motors and everything is okay now. :thumbsup:
Old unit was full of water and had been disconnected! Lots of water had got in.
I have put a smear of clear silicon around rubber seal to help keep water out. I used the original rubber seal from the unit that worked.
Rear wiper now functioning satisfactorily! Hopefully that is the end of the matter.
Thanks again for your advice. :smile:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links