Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid too risky for a budget driver?

Think Different

Hi all,

I am looking to get a “new to me” car to replace my aging and no longer trust worthy car.

I have a budget of approx. £8000 tops and have basically narrowed my choice down to a Skoda Octavia or an Auris Hybrid.

The reason for changing my car is that I previously had a car that I was tinkering with too often, so basically need something that is ultra-reliable and will basically just need servicing and fuel for the next 5 years.

My father has a skoda superb that I really like and so I have been swayed to the Octavia but whilst searching have found a few Auris hybrids on budget, and I have to say these things excite me, I love technology and they seem so alternative and cool… and yes I am a bit weird!

I sit in a lot of traffic and doing so with the engine off and crawling in ev mode really appeal but I am very concerned about the life of these cars and worry about taking to a regular joe mechanic for servicing etc.

I know that this thread is a bit rambling but I’m finding it difficult to get any reliable information on how hybrids work in the real world.

I know it’s a new technology but most people seem to be under warranty still, if I am going to buy a 2010 car I need it to last for the next 5 years at least so am looking at a car that will see me to 2020 without any big bills, so it’ll be out of warranty and I know nothing about the lifetime of the Battery tech (propulsion batteries not the 12v)

I worry that there are things in the hybrid engine that will be catastrophically expensive to repair and loads of dealer only servicing things that will negate any fuel savings that could be made.

I need an honest opinion, with a tight running budget, whether I would be better off with getting a regular diesel car or risking the hybrid

Thank you

new to the forum so admins please feel free to move this topic if there’s a better place for my questions.

Please don't go VAG if you're looking for low cost ownership.

I've been intertwined between VAG and Toyota for most of my motoring life. VAG doesn't even compare to Toyota for reliability.

Toyota reliability is legendary and the hybrids even more so due to the fewer moving parts. No clutch, gearbox, flywheel etc. And everything in there has been overengineered in typical Toyota fashion. There are lots of examples of Prius taxis throughout the years with a million miles on them. 

The HV Battery is always the most concerning to people but it's actually nothing to worry about. If you buy correctly you'll have a hybrid check which will show the state of the Battery so you know exactly how long it has left. Even if you have to replace it at some point then it's about the same price as a dual mass flywheel which *will* fail at some point on a VAG car.

VAG always have a design fault of one thing or another that you generally only realise everyone else knows about after you've bought the car and suffered from it. My last Octavia VRS had the variable compression AC compressor that decided to dry out, sheer all the metal into the system and then cost £800 to replace everything (on the cheap). The DMF was on the way out before I sold it, and the direct injection TFSI system had the standard coking up which costs about £1000 to clean out.

Also, if you travel in traffic at all, the hybrids are a joy compared to other stuff that just sits there shivering. In a hybrid it's quiet, serene and makes traffic a bit more bearable.

Finally, diesels are plummeting in price due to them imminently being banned from cities and will be forced off the road completely in the next few years. On the other side hybrids will be more and more desirable due to them having low emissions and high efficiency as CO2 and NoX emissions restrictions are tightened.

• Like 1

Welcome Mark

What car did u have before (now)?

I used to have a 2010 Skoda Superb - one of the best cars I owned!

Packed with toys (heated windscreen, satnav, adaptive xenon headlights, auto opening twin boot etc)

Tax £170 (2.0 TDi)

Official MPG 46 iirc - which I can easily acheive on the motorway

The Skoda s are the most reliable make out of the VW group - and above average reliability overall and very good dealer

But for your wallet, the hybrid/electric is the way

My 2012 Auris Hybrid (mk1 facelift):

Tax £0

Cheap insurance

Official MPG 72 (but my best is about 60+, but only average 53ish daily - which is still a fantastic achievement for a 1.8 petrol automatic :))

For your money u can easily get a 2012 model (possibly the mk2!), esp in traffic as u mentioned

Very reliable cars as less wear and tear due to the electric motor, no conventional starter motor etc

My came with 5 years warranty

Toyota now selling buy-one-get-one-free extended warranties for £516 - so my 2012 Auris is under warranty until 2019! :

If u have narrowed your choice down to the Octavia and the Auris - bear in mind the Octavia is a much bigger car

But if u sat inside the Auris, it does feel like a Tardis

Also the Octavia is a BIGGER boot, and the Auris Hybrid a lot smaller (not helped by the electric Battery in there too)

Good luck with your decision

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

The Skoda s are the most reliable make out of the VW group - and above average reliability overall and very good dealers

Not sure how that can be the case, they all use the same parts. My Octavia was certainly no more reliable than any of the Audi, VW or SEATs I've owned.

11 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Not sure how that can be the case, they all use the same parts. My Octavia was certainly no more reliable than any of the Audi, VW or SEATs I've owned.

Dont quote me

But the overall assumption was new parts/technology didn't filtered down to the Skoda s until Audi/VW/Seat had them first (so any issues and it would have been fixed by the time they were fitted to Skodas) - else Skoda will be competing with their brethens

Plus Skoda were cheaper too

My Superb of 2 years never missed a beat

It was a rep car before with above average miles and still it ran like new

Hi

This (HSD) technology has been on the market 20 years now. The latest HSD is 3rd generation.

In this video, you can see, how simple and ingenious is the Toyota hybrid transaxle (eCVT). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNDGUISTYM

If you compare it to this video, you can see how complex is VW DSG transmission https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj1Vk7SE-TI

Toyota has following warranty for Auris Hybrid:

-Five year for HSD system

- 10 year / 350000 km for high voltage Battery

So, I think, this tell something about how reliable Hybrid technology is....

WOW what a response! :biggrin:

To give you all some feedback, my current car is a BMW z3 that I'm always playing with and fixing minor issues between it breaking down "properly" and it's been a blast but it's time to settle down and grow up! I have had an E class Mercedes, Ford Focus, Cinquecento and mini, so I am used to various compromises in various areas.

The original plan was the octavia as I must say I do love my fathers skoda superb and a large car appeals after being squished in a two seater these last few years, I have a few friends with skodas and they have all had them for ages with minimal outlay, on paper it seems to me anyway to be the obvious choice and the best "bang for buck" HOWEVER this is before I found out that the Auris Hybrid was even a thing, or more accurately in budget.

I have a keen interest in technology so have been following electric cars for years and would love to own a Hybrid, the Auris seems to tick my box of driving quirky cars and yet theoretically would be the most reliable and sensible car I've ever owned...win win?

From a size perspective I know it's smaller than the octavia but it's not tiny and the rear seats fold to give you a load of room anyway, if anything it would be easier to park on my shared driveway so that's something :smile:

I suppose my biggest fear is that everything I read its all about people being in warranty etc and that they have a ten year Battery warranty... well that only leaves 4 years for a 2010 car and that's assuming any problems are covered, I'll try to buy used approved but I don't really want to rely on a warranty claim being valid as in my personal experience with these things there's always a get out clause so i have to pay full whack :angry:

It will be nice to have a decent 5 door again and be able to buy something and take it home the same day :laugh:

The more I read the more the Auris seems like the perfect choice...I guess I'm just fearful that I'll be buying £1500 worth of batteries in a few months and a new thingymabob that's broken and been replaced as the tech is new and constantly changing:laugh:

Z3 - Nice!

Have u driven the Auris Hybrid yet?

U need to drive one as it's a whole new way of driving if u want to get the best MPG out of it, but u will love the instant electric power :biggrin:

No I haven't driven one yet but I think the auris is in my future!

Somebody VAG ? Lets see if this link to an old post works.

Edit... it works. So the TSport was changed at 8 yrs old and around 73K (100%) reliability. The replacement, an Auris 1.33L has been 100% reliable. Our old 1.4 Corolla ended up having a new Battery at 10 yrs old along with new front discs and pads. The Battery was suspected to be weeping but was functionally 100%. We still have the Corolla and it pulls like a train. 

So that's reliability folks. 

Hi

Being a new member and a new owner of an Auris hybrid I would like to chip in to the OP and say, If you can afford it go for the hybrid. I can honestly say this is one of the best cars I have ever had. My last car was a 6.2 lire V8 and was bonkers, but this Auris is so refined, smooth and quiet and I find every journey a new challenge to improve on the fuel consumption. I can't comment on reliability as I haven't owned a Toyota for long enough, but I have heard about their reliability through comments from other owners on this and other websites. Look at what  Top Gear did to a Toyota pick up truck lol.

As far as fuel consumption goes, without really trying I'm getting 55 mpg calculated brim to brim and some trips showing 65 on the obc. Looking forward to better as the weather warms up. Bizarrely on my daily commute I actually don't mind being stuck in slow traffic, which is the norm anyway round oxford.

Anyway that's my two pence worth. Very happy owner.

Regards

Even after the "normal" warranty has run out if you get your hybrid serviced at Toyota (they have fixed price servicing and it isn't too onerous) they do a check on the traction Battery which they then guarantee for a year/10000 miles. As I understand it this holds good up to 100,000 miles / 10 years. Which might not be the whole life of your car, but it indicates that Toyota have confidence in their batteries. Two different Toyota dealers have told me that they have never had to change a traction Battery - this when I already had my car so they weren't trying to "sell" me! 

As for the other "bits" - as has been said before, there are fewer mechanical parts to go wrong then on a conventional car - there's no gearbox, no clutch, no starter motor, no alternator, no drive belts so none of these things can go wrong. The brakes tend to last longer than in conventional cars because most of the braking is regenerative and the physical brakes are not much used. Of course it's possible that they can go expensively wrong, but this is true of every car. My view, based on my own experience and on what I've read here and on priuschat is that you'll go a long way to find a more reliable car than a  Toyota Hybrid. Maybe a Lexus Hybrid.... :wink:

I've had a Prius, currently have an Auris, and was and am very happy with both.

Thanks everyone, It's OFFICIAL, I am now on the look out for an Auris Hybrid!

I may even stump up for getting it serviced at Toyota directly! :ohmy:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to say I'll be letting you all know how a budget driver gets on with an Auris Hybrid as I have one now!!! :biggrin:

Fully paid up Toyota owners club member! 

So far I love it, it's so quiet and smooth to drive, it's a t-spirit so all the little extras are lovely, the keyless entry thing is close to magic as far as I'm concerned :laugh:

• Like 2

Can't speak specifically for the Hybrid, because mine's a 1.6 petrol VVT - but VW do have a few problems (ahem) of their own at the moment, which is why I switched to a Toyota.

I traded in my beloved 57 reg diesel Passat to buy my 64 reg Auris - a lovely, smooth-riding, ultra-reliable beast, that Passat was, but there was no way I was going to put up with VW's consumer relations nonsense any longer.  That company needs a change of headset, and fast.

Warning: rant: Okay, recently you'd have had to be living in a cave not to have heard about the VW engine problems, both in Europe and in America. The thing is, VW say that they have a fix for all the engines that are emitting too much carbon dioxide (i.e. nearly all of the Octavia models) - but after seven months of trying they have yet to make the fix work properly on any of the cars. :mellow: And it seems nearly inevitable that, when they do, either the performance or the fuel economy will suffer, or maybe both.  

It's a long story - try googling for "VW dieselgate" - but at present VW have abandoned the fix/modification appointments because they can't get the emissions clean enough without hurting performance. But still they insist that everything's under control, and that nobody's going to get compensated. I have zero confidence at the moment.

Hence the Auris Touring Sport. A bit less smooth and quiet than the equivalent VWs, and fuel consumption from the 1.6 petrol is only about 40 mpg so far, but I love it. Load space is very nearly as much as a great big Passat estate, which I think is impressive. Enjoying the toys, too!

22 hours ago, Think Different said:

Just a quick update to say I'll be letting you all know how a budget driver gets on with an Auris Hybrid as I have one now!!! :biggrin:

So far I love it, it's so quiet and smooth to drive, it's a t-spirit so all the little extras are lovely, the keyless entry thing is close to magic as far as I'm concerned :laugh:

Ooh

Give us more details!

Year?

Mileage?

Satnav?

Warranty?

Guess u not heard about the hacking of Keyless Entry then...:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

59 minutes ago, Wayne2015 said:

Guess u not heard about the hacking of Keyless Entry then...:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I haven't... Care to elaborate?

5 minutes ago, Auris 1.6 vvt-i said:

I haven't... Care to elaborate?

U sure u want to know now?

No, I ll wait til u enjoy the car a bit longer...

OK

U twisted my arm..

I hadn't heard about the hack but seems like it basically that the hackers just boost the signal, seeing as the keys live in a metal tin when I'm at home that should be enough to keep it secure.

Additionally I'll look at investing in one of those sleeve things too... I would imagine it's not that popular a hack anyway or the insurance would be sky high but better safe than sorry!

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/04/2016 at 3:04 PM, Think Different said:

I hadn't heard about the hack but seems like it basically that the hackers just boost the signal, seeing as the keys live in a metal tin when I'm at home that should be enough to keep it secure.

Additionally I'll look at investing in one of those sleeve things too... I would imagine it's not that popular a hack anyway or the insurance would be sky high but better safe than sorry!

I have read a few things about this issue, so far i'm in 2 minds on should i be so worried.

The first point I would mention, since this type of system is more common than in the begining, if enough of your neighbours have the same type of system. The theives are going to need to use a directional antenna  to pick up indivual keys in order to exploit the flaw. So if you have a drive it will be more of a problem when compared to an estate where cars are parked together, without being infront of properties.

Second point is if you wish to stop the car being stolem get an old fashioned crook lock, to prevent braking being depressed and taking the car out of park.

Just a quick update to say I'll be letting you all know how a budget driver gets on with an Auris Hybrid as I have one now!!! biggrin.png

So far I love it, it's so quiet and smooth to drive, it's a t-spirit so all the little extras are lovely, the keyless entry thing is close to magic as far as I'm concerned laugh.png

Glad you like it, the bit I like most is if I get stuck in traffic. The engine is off when stopped and still off while creeping along. The engine only started again after the Battery was low, but stopped again once the state of charge increased to it's normal level.

At work they call it the ninja car, they don't hear me driving across the car park. ;-)

i really wouldn't be concerned about getting a hybrid ,as toyota have been the pioneers of hybrid technology

its been around for a long time and is tried and tested i would only buy one with full dealer history though

as i would want to know its been looked after by people that know hybrids.

i have had the lexus ct200h and i currently have a lexus IS300h and yesterday purchased an 13 plate 

Auris hybrid for my partner so i am sold on hybrid technology and can't imagine driving anything else.

you said you have a lot of stop / start driving for me this would rule out a diesel due to the DPF filter

as they are soo expensive to replace.