Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Toyota Prius

taximerv

From date i heard new Toyota  Prius was coming i have been hoping this will be my next car  no 6  Toyota Prius but i am devastated  to the state i feel angry last Prius i run up to 192000

no problems really  current Prius 130000 no problems . New Prius i just looked at it and felt like crying what have they done cropped the doors down on the rear to the state you hit your head trying to get in Gen 3 you could just get in with out catching your head Gen 4 you hit your head every time . I can,t use this for my job Private Hire my council would not licence a vehicle with

Access like that for passengers and if they did it would  not  be good for passengers i have not test driven Gen 4 their seems no purpose  I've  looked  at Toyota plus but going backwards going form Gen 3 Prius to Toyota plus emissions are hire fuel Consumption Hire ? no tax saving on buying  above 95  co2 . I've  written  to Toyota uk 3 days ago no answer if they said new Toyota plus is on the list of new cars this year with emission  lowered i would say great i will hang on but no comment 10 years in the Prius selling it to customer that get in and out selling it to colleges in the trade now looking else where because it dose not suit requirements  their are 12000 + of Gen 2 and Gen 3 running around London as private  Hire Vehicles i would be interested to hear how many Gen 4 get licensed  in the country  

don't worry merv, you've got another 60-70,000 miles left on your current prius yet.

Seriously though, I'm 6ft tall and have no problem getting in or out of the back without banging my head and there's a good inch and a half headroom for me.

7 hours ago, kithmo said:

don't worry merv, you've got another 60-70,000 miles left on your current prius yet.

Seriously though, I'm 6ft tall and have no problem getting in or out of the back without banging my head and there's a good inch and a half headroom for me.

I'm 5'10 and there's no way I can sit in the back of the new Gen4 Prius without my head leaning to one side.

Having your head in contact with the roof is extremely dangerous - any bump could fracture your neck.

My Wife is still going to get one though, but I will be sitting in the front passenger seat of course :wink:

For individuals of a particular height there are considerable variations in the distance from the hips to the top of the head. In days gone bye, a colleague and I were exactly the same height when standing (i.e. six feet and one inch) but he was four inches shorter than I when we were sitting down. It created opportunities for mischief when we visited car showrooms together. He sat in the drivers seat and complained that he couldn't get his knees under the steering wheel, while I sat in the rear and complained about the lack of head-room.

People are too variable to be useful as gauges. You need to get the relevant dimensions for the two vehicles and compare them.

• Like 1

Auris sports tourer would probably be better than a gen4 prius as a taxi.  Loads of space in one of those and cheaper too.

12 hours ago, AEB-UK said:

I'm 5'10 and there's no way I can sit in the back of the new Gen4 Prius without my head leaning to one side...

Same here - I'm also 5' 10" and have to sit with my head canted, because:

a) I'm long body/short leg

b) I'm very padded (ok then, fat!)

I can get in and out ok though, which is more than I can say for the 2012 onwards Yaris, where the rear is a complete no go area for me - sad, because earlier Yaris models were fantastic in the back, especially with the sliding rear seats fully back.

I think the new Prius will be a problem for taxi companies also because of the lack of storage receptacles in the front (especially compared with previous models), and the loss of the space under the boot floor, which previously meant taxi drivers could more easily keep the interior and boot tidy for passengers.

It's all very well improving drag coefficients and mpg, but Toyota seem to be forgetting the ultimate objective of a car is to transport people and their luggage!

2 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Auris sports tourer would probably be better than a gen4 prius as a taxi.  Loads of space in one of those and cheaper too.

some of the taxi firms around here have switched to those, but I find the back too cramped compared to Gen 2 & 3 Prius.  And the Gen 4 Prius still has good rear leg room, just not so good for people who need headroom.

Hi thanks for feed back i have just had a call from Toyota uk because i sent them an email stating  how disappointed  i am at least i am not alone  on this. I'm  Short in the leg long in the body suffer from low back problems so back dose not give very easy on access  in and out of cars i have been taught to place rear into seat and swing feet in  but that dose not work on rear of new Prius  my hight is 5/11 and i pick up taller people so when i find it difficult i think they would have a bigger problem .when i went to buy  Gen 2 Prius i went around ford Volkswagen  and Mercedes  and back  to Toyota and found Gen 2 the most Comfort car for size economics and never  thought of looking else where till now because i have had good and still have good use of Toyota  i am hitting 60 this year and have thought if i was selling cars i would sell Toyota Prius because it dose what it says on the tin. In ten years of use i have spent £60 on road tax gen 2 was £15 a year  and i wanted that to carry on to  put icing on the cake yes i do care about environment  i have kids and grand kids so future is important  i came from a vehicle with more than double emissions and twice the cost of fuel over a year . So the benefits of the Prius have been outstanding so that is another  reason for feeling a loss of future planing . i would like to hear back form Prius Plus owners even though i don,t see the benefits of the Prius Plus i see better Access  in to rear but boot space is no bigger and i feel fuel consumption would be slightly hirer and cost of purchase more expensive . so now I'm  looking a round at different  makes trying to way up options something  i did not think i would be doing, it has come at a time when our local council are very concerned a bout access  in and out of vehicles  all Hackneys now have wheel chair access  in our area . So now they are concreting  on Private hire now as well i have looked at Auris  but know that would be to small or else i would of moved that way as said at the begging  thanks to you for replies and thanks to Toyota for the call today 

20 hours ago, PeteB said:

but I find the back too cramped compared to Gen 2 & 3 Prius.

We have been spoilt.

I had the Prius Plus before this Gen 4 and the boot space is larger in the Plus than the gen 2, 3 and 4 when you put down the two small seats on the third row. Mpg in the Plus is about the same as the Gen 2, the 2nd row rear seats are adjustable for position and recline. The only downside is the price, they are about £5K more than the hatchback Prius, the upside of that is they hold their value as there are not so many about.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links