Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High idle revs at cold start.

terryirwin

Hello everybody

Avensis 1.8vvti T3X petrol  manual 07 reg 85000miles. It has suddenly started revving at 2000rpm on cold start instead of the usual 12-1300. All OK as soon as gets warm. Grateful for any leads on what the problem may be. Was going to search topics but couldn`t spot a specific search box for the forum. Am I missing it?

Many thanks

There's a search box towards the top of the right hand side of the page (see attachment)

Search Box.jpg

Thanks for showing me that. I was assuming the box just covered the whole site. Very useful, thanks.

Now done full search but no real answer. Something surely gone wrong as has idled on startup at 1200 since new. Any leads from anyone?

Every petrol Toyota I have owned in the past twenty or so years has done that in cold weather.

I am going to have to beg to differ. It has idled on cold start at about 1200rpm for the 5yrs I have had it no matter what the temp. Suddenly changing to a "racing" figure of 2000rpm is not normal.

It could of course be a fault, have you tried starting in cold weather with the aircon and heating off?, it should drop the revs back down, if not then it is most likely a fault.

a lot of cars ecu have as said an idle up function to take the extra electrical load from more field exited alternator, and or aircon pump drag etc.

some have idle up quick heat etc ( usually found on diesel)

have you possibly recently had a Battery replacement causing ecu to reset to default and now have turned this function back on?

2000 seems a bit too high though like an intake air leak or icv fault allowing too much air through at idle - usually caused by breathed engine oil over the years gumming up the intake

As robster said..also check IAC on throttle they sometimes get dirty.think there was another member on here had the same problem as you.get it a clean with some carb cleaner..don't know if yours is cable or electronic throttle? Disconnect the Battery and then take it out. Then clean.

Could simply be a faulty temperature detector

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links