Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Burning smell

Ben565

Lots of posts on here about clutches burning out on the Aygo. I thought the problem was resolved by Toyota when they fitted post face-lift cars with a beefier clutch as standard.

After 2hrs crawling through traffic last night I started getting an acrid burning smell in the cabin, definitely either clutch or brake linings kind of smell. I was always putting it into neutral when stationary, no racing starts, try not to ride the clutch whenever possible.

Mine is a 2012 Aygo so should already have the bigger clutch. It is a manual on 25,000 miles not mmt.

I had the a/c on too for the first time in ages, I guess it could also have been that stinking. 

Hi

couple of things takes about 5 minutes to remove the cabin filter to check the condition of it, if it's dirty replace it.

You could also recondition the a/c system, lots of videos on YouTube. Also the clutch maybe slipping slightly.

Good luck 

If air con isn't used regularly throughout the year the seals lose lubrication and the system loses more gas. Could be that you need a regas and a clean.

One could argue that a burning smell should be expected in an Aygo Fire…

… I’ll get my coat.

• Like 1

I had this about a month ago, thought much the same thing breaks or clutch, but all of a sudden the Alternater died in a puff of smoke! AA guy said I was lucky there was no fire! :ohmy:

6 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

… I’ll get my coat.

lol and I suppose you should expect some G&T with your Aygo ICE :biggrin:

• Like 1

Well drove it all the way home with the A/C on an no nasty smells at all, seems to have worn off whatever it was. Pollen filter looks clean, but I ran a can of A/C cleaner through to clean it all out anyway. 

Maybe just the clutch getting hot crawling though traffic for 2 hours. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if anything goes bang

Edited by Ben565
Typo

10 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

… I’ll get my coat.

:backofnet:

4 hours ago, Ben565 said:

lol and I suppose you should expect some G&T with your Aygo ICE :biggrin:

I don't know what I'll get with my Move with Style lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links