Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

static on radio when rear window heater on

Alan.yates

I have found on my 56 T180 that when the rear window heater is switched on a terrible noise is heard on the radio.  This has also started happening when the brakes are pushed, although this is not all the time.  I have checked all the earthing and connections in the hatchback door.  I have found what i think is a suppressor that is bolted to the door with one cable going to ground and the other end connected to the earth sides of the different electrical systems(heated rear window, high level brake light).  The rear windscreen wiper doesn't cause this problem.

Mines the same but with rear wiper on.and sometimes under acceleration.meaning to get it fixed.have you any pics/plans for the earthing points?

I haven't got any diagrams.  But it is easy to get the door lining off.  There are two screws in the hand hold things and then you can just pull it off.  You will see all the earth points.  The aerial earth is under the top bit of trim that also pulls off.  The part I suspect is on the bottom of the door on the left.  I think this is some kind of suppressor.  It has a wire in each side.  I have spoken to my local Toyota dealer and he can't find this part on his drawings.

• Like 1

Cheers Alan. Hope you get sorted👍

Had the same problem on my Avensis.  Caused by a cut in the one of the trace wires in the rear window heater. Repaired with silver loaded conductive paint. Radio now OK.

Mine makes a little hiss when the radio and rear window demister are both on - I'll have to check for a cut in one of the trace wires. Maybe the more cuts there are, the louder the hiss?

It definitely gets worse the more traces that are cut, actually I had 3 or 4 and it progressively improved as I repaired them.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9 April 2016 at 2:45 PM, ighaig said:

It definitely gets worse the more traces that are cut, actually I had 3 or 4 and it progressively improved as I repaired them.

I have a couple gone, Could you advise how to repair?

You can buy repair kits.  It's metallic paint-like stuff, and comes in a bottle with a brush like nail polish.  You 'paint in' the missing sections of the lines.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links