Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 4 vs Gen 3 Prius Wheel Dimensions + Fitment

ToyotaAurisHybrid

Please can somebody in the know tell me if the wheel fitments and dimensions are the same for the gen 4 Prius as they were for the gen 3?

I'm thinking pcd, offset, width etc for both the 15" and 17" options.

thank you

85 views and no replies...has anyone got a gen 4 yet who can check the owners manual please?

I don't know if this will help, it is all I could find in the user manual.

tyres and wheels.JPG

Don't think that the owner's manual will provide this information - mine doesn't for my car.

One could always download the owner's manual oneself and browse through - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners-manual#/my-toyota/eManual

Thanks both - I've asked Mr T and will report back here if/when I get any joy.

For context, I'm asking in the hope it hasn't changed so I can get a spare set of wheels for winter tyres for SWMBO's future car

We also have a set of winter wheel/tyres for our Gen3+, and we also hope they will fit the new Prius,

Here we go - worth pinning please admin?

Thank you for your contact of 15 April 2016 regarding the new Toyota Prius.

Having spoken with our Technical Team, they have advised me of the following information:-

Tire Size 215/45R17 
Wheel Size 17 x 7J 
PCD 100
Offset 50

Tire Size 195/65R15 
Wheel Size 15 x 6 1/2J 
PCD 100 
Offset 40

4 minutes ago, ToyotaAurisHybrid said:

Here we go - worth pinning please admin?

Thank you for your contact of 15 April 2016 regarding the new Toyota Prius.

Having spoken with our Technical Team, they have advised me of the following information:-

Tire Size 215/45R17 
Wheel Size 17 x 7J 
PCD 100
Offset 50

Tire Size 195/65R15 
Wheel Size 15 x 6 1/2J 
PCD 100 
Offset 40

What this doesn't confirm is whether the wheel sizes for the 4th generation are the same as those of the 3rd.

I'm sure someone can oblige.....

On 22 April 2016 at 8:53 PM, ToyotaAurisHybrid said:

I'm sure someone can oblige.....

Then again....

How many hundreds of gen 3 owners do we have on here again? If one of you can provide this information I'm sure many people would be thankful...

Thanks; looks like the answer to the original question is no - the offset looks to have changed.

thanks runninginpleasepass, much appreciated 

Just wonder whether, as the above is a US site, there will be any difference in wheel fitment between US market models and European market models

It includes info for European models too if you scroll down

Isn't there any tolerance in the offset permitted?

There will be some tolerance to a degree, but I always prefer to stay with exact OEM spec to avoid potential problems down the line

• 1 year later...

I know this is somewhat of an old thread but I am about to try installing Gen 3 wheels on my new 2017 Gen 4 in the USA.

I have a Prius III base model that came with 15” wheels and I want to go to 17”. I found some new Toyota forged 17” wheels on eBay at a pretty decent price so I ordered them. They are Toyota p/n ptr20-47010 and were designed for Gen 3 but I think they would look great on my blizzard white 2017. In my research, I can see no difference between the Gen 3 wheel specs and Gen 4 as far as fitment.

My next quest is to figure out the best 17” tire set to buy. The Michelin Energy A/S does not appear to be available in the tire size Toyota recommends for a 17” wheel which is 215 45 17R. Any suggestions?

Sorry  to disagree with previous posts but looking at the website which shows the specifications for the wheels from the gen 2 through to the gen 4, I cant see any difference for the 15" wheels throughout the range. There is a difference  of 5mm offset between 17 " wheels but this appears to compensate for 6.5" rims verses 17" rims. My conclusion is that all prius wheels for the normal prius  are interchangeable. There are exceptions in that the prius plus is one on its own ; having wheels which are peculiar to itself in the prius range. The prius plus wheels are interchangeable with the likes of the avensis. I don't really understand why people should think that suspension geometry would change from one trim to another, from one export market to another or one upgrade to another or why people would have difficulty in googling the information they seek. As regards what tyre to use on the 17" wheels, tyres are graded in terms of economy, wet weather performance, road noise levels and seasonal use ( summer /winter). Make up your mind which aspect(s) of tyre design is/are important to you and make your selection. Mytyres website is very useful for this. You can opt to read opinion from users whose opinions are apt to be biased by their own latest decision ( everyone likes to think they know best)or you can see how the tyre has been rated against fixed EU standards of performance A to G... some of the grades arent always used but A is the most favourable with G being the least favourable for the aspect of the tyre which is being examined. Something which isn't examined by the EU rating system is dry weather grip... you will notice that  some sporty tyres aren't topping the charts for economy or wet weather grip but they do wear quickly and are expensive.. this is because they provide excellent dry weather grip ( which isn't rated).

I have made my own mistakes with tyre choice and have also made my own valuable discoveries in finding a tyre which suited my own particular requirements ( which may be different to those of others). Finding the cheapest most quiet, most economical, most grippy in wet weather and dry with excellent winter and summer performance just isn't possible. The market leader in the tyre industry is the target to be beaten by competing manufacturers which means that last years favourite tyre is now likely to be out of date.

I have seen pictures of Gen 2 and Gen 4 Prius with the Gen 3 17" wheels on so Wass is right, they are interchangeable.

Bear in mind that Sequestre is in the USA, so the EU tyre rating system won't have any relevance.

So, I did purchase and install the Gen3 17” Toyota Plus wheels for my Gen4 and they turned out beautiful! I decided to go with Michelin Energy A/S tires. Toyota recommends 215 x 45 for the 17” wheel but unfortunately the Energy A/S does not come in that size. I ended up going with 215 x 50 which I’m actually happier with because the 45 would have been about an inch smaller in diameter than the stock Toyo 195 x 65 15” tires and wheels. The 50s are instead, a bit more than 1/2” taller. Personally I would rather be a tad taller than shorter. 60 mph shown on the speedo equates to almost 61.5 actual which I can live with. I took a picture but it really doesn’t do justice.

E940BE0A-EAA2-4C6B-AEC4-0A73F88FC8FC.jpeg

Sweet, I don't know what the construction and use regs are over there, but here in the UK manufacturers are allowed 0-10% over read on the speedometer and the UK Prius does seem to be 10% over according to my GPS dash cam, so when the speedo is showing 60 I'm actually doing around 55 mph so the difference in tyre size you have would be negligible. 

2 hours ago, kithmo said:

Sweet, I don't know what the construction and use regs are over there, but here in the UK manufacturers are allowed 0-10% over read on the speedometer and the UK Prius does seem to be 10% over according to my GPS dash cam, so when the speedo is showing 60 I'm actually doing around 55 mph so the difference in tyre size you have would be negligible. 

The UK regulations are different to the EU regs in that for speeds between 25 and 70mph the speedometer should not read more than 110% of the actual speed plus 6.25mph. So for an actual speed of 55mph, the speedometer can legally show a speed of up to 66.75mph.

Speed shown by GPS is an average speed over a number of measurement points.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The UK regulations are different to the EU regs in that for speeds between 25 and 70mph the speedometer should not read more than 110% of the actual speed plus 6.25mph. So for an actual speed of 55mph, the speedometer can legally show a speed of up to 66.75mph.

Speed shown by GPS is an average speed over a number of measurement points.

Hmm, does that work in reverse mode as well?  As in plus or minus 110%?

If so, I should have installed monster truck tires.... Gee officer, but the speedo says 55 mph........ :)