Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suspension Knock

Roker

2005 Avensis, 186,000km still not using oil, why get rid of it.

It has developed a slight knock/rumble on the RH front suspension, it appears to be under the drivers feet.

All joints and roll bar bushings have been checked several times by two garage's and no faults found, I have also fitted a new link arm without improvement

The only thing left is the top bearing on the suspension column, Has anyone had any experience of this? 

Wear on the top mounts would be a knock/rattle  - definitely not a rumble. 

If it is the top mounts the wear would be more noticeable with the load off the wheels. Jacking the front off the ground and checking for any slackness in the damper strut fore/aft will confirm this. 

Rumbling from wheels is more likely to be wheel bearings. More difficult to pinpoint as there may be no obvious wear. Some garages use an electric friction drive-wheel to spin the car's wheel whilst using a stethoscope against the hub. 

Alternatively repeatedly driving past a helper standing at the kerb side might assist in determining which wheel is causing the problem. 

Does the noise become louder on corner - particularly turning right or onroundabouts? 

It is only on bumpy road, definitely not a wheel bearing

• 1 month later...

It's definitely top bearing. I had that on my previous corolla, auris and now  on avensis t27

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem in my avensis t25 2008 

I check control arms is ok, i check bushing and drop links is ok.

Top bearing, in top mounts ?

Yes. In black rubber you have bearing and you get gap in bearing 

As the top bearings are always under tension from the spring either moving up or down, or jacked up, I cannot see them knocking, they are in effect thrust bearing, If they made a noise while turning the steering, this would make sense. I can however accept that it could be the dampers

can someone give me direct link to buy this piece to the corolla and 12 .14 d4d 2004 and for avensis t25 2008 E.0 d4d?

Is this Bearing?

$_57.JPG

Hi mate, I can help if you need. Drop me an email if you still need to source this.

• 5 years later...

Thanks to this thread I saved myself £300 I was quoted to replace the strut top mount of our 2010 TR 1.8 Tourer.

Took it to two garages with a hollow knock coming from the front passenger side.

The first garage said they can’t find the source of the knock and that we should just live with it. They did not charge for the check.

The second garage was close and said the top strut mount needs changing to the tune of £300.

After booking the work I came across this thread, so I removed the rubber bung at the top mount, and indeed the screw in the middle was loose, I applied some locktight and gave it a full turn tightening. The knock has vanished now.

Checked the other side and all is tight, the rubber mounts both look as new and have a thick layer of lithium grease, so not sure why replacing was ordered. Called the second place and cancelled.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shavestick said:

Thanks to this thread I saved myself £300 I was quoted to replace the strut top mount of our 2010 TR 1.8 Tourer.

Took it to two garages with a hollow knock coming from the front passenger side.

The first garage said they can’t find the source of the knock and that we should just live with it. They did not charge for the check.

The second garage was close and said the top strut mount needs changing to the tune of £300.

After booking the work I came across this thread, so I removed the rubber bung at the top mount, and indeed the screw in the middle was loose, I applied some locktight and gave it a full turn tightening. The knock has vanished now.

Checked the other side and all is tight, the rubber mounts both look as new and have a thick layer of lithium grease, so not sure why replacing was ordered. Called the second place and cancelled.

It's good you checked for yourself. Not the same vehicle, but I replaced my brother's Renault Grand Scenic top mount on one side due to the rubber splitting back in 2019. Then last year did both struts and one spring (the other spring was changed previously), and the other top mount. Then a few months later, the new top mount which came from Euro car parts failed, so I ordered a better and cheaper top mount and replaced that. My brother had ordered the parts previously. There are three things that can be an issue with top mounts - split rubber, seized, failed bearings and loose top nuts or main strut nut. The Avensis seems to be a little easier and more reliable than my brothers Renault. 

• Like 1