Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vin number

diverdave

I seem to remember a few years ago someone posted a good breakdown of the information in the VIN number. I have tried to search for it but there is 815 pages relating to this subject 🙁 Can anyone remember this post ? 

There is 

Thanks for that Frosty, but that link just told me where I can find it on the car. What I am looking for is the information that was posted probably 4 or5 years ago, detailing how the VIN number told you when the vehicle was manufactured, the configuration and which factory it was assembled in.

That helps a bit Kevin thanks, but my new VIN number doesn't seem to fit the general format, for example I have 0 for position ten but this isn't in the table, maybe it's too new and the table has changed ?

46 minutes ago, diverdave said:

Thanks for that Frosty, but that link just told me where I can find it on the car. What I am looking for is the information that was posted probably 4 or5 years ago, detailing how the VIN number told you when the vehicle was manufactured, the configuration and which factory it was assembled in.

The link to the blog article does contain the following:

Decoding your VIN number is simple. Although there are exceptions to the rule, the first three digits usually refer to the country of manufacture, the vehicle maker and the vehicle type.For example, if you check the first letter of the code, you’ll see J references Japan, S references England, while V identifies France. Turkey gets an N, while Thailand and South Africa (where some of our Hilux vehicles are produced) get an M or an A. The second letter is usually T, which describes Toyota, the third describes which group of cars (or sometimes which chassis type) the vehicle sits on.The next six numbers reference the car’s bodystyle and engine and gearbox, while the remaining eight are combination unique to the car, listing the year the car was made, the factory it was produced in and where it came in the production process.

Could also have a look at  http://vindecoder.eu/toyota

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links