Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris 2.2D egr valve problems

Ayush

Hi

I have been problems with my EGR valve (2.2d engine) every 3 months. I have cleaned the valve to make it look like a brand new one, but the problem keeps coming back as a error message on the dashboard and the engine goes on limp mode with carbon being built inside EGR valve. I drive the car on the motorway everyday ( 15 miles ) and been using Shell v power. I have also used BG244 diesel cleaner. Car has only done 49000 miles. 

Please can someone help. 

Many thanks 

Just because you cleaned the EGR valve doesn't mean that your engine is clean. Carbon is probably lurking in other areas and can take some cleaning out.

Toyota Cylinder Head 02.jpg

I've seen advice posted on here about cleaning EGR valves which said::

P0400 is most commonly caused by a blocked EGR circuit incl intake manifold or faulty EGR valve, You can remove the EGR and cooler and soak in an Ammonia solution (at least 12% ammonia in solution) to remove baked in carbon deposits which can prevent (for a time) P0400 form returning assuming the EGR valve is not faulty.

To clean the EGR cooler block/seal one end then fill with Ammonia and leave for one hour then drain and repeat until no more carbon soot is washed from cooler once the Ammonia drains. Clean flush with water in both directions until it runs clean.

After this you need to check if the cooler has sufficient flow to be reused, select a hose/tap that can output at least 24 litres per minute (check by timing how long it takes to fill a bucket of a known capacity) then confirm that the valve allows at least 12 litres of water through in 30 seconds if not try cleaning again ultimately replacement of the cooler may be required if through put does not reach 12 litres / 30 seconds.

• 3 years later...

It sounds like you have had the same hassle as my daughters 2008 Auris 180SR . It went into limp mode on the motorway and the warning light came up. She phoned the AA who arrived pretty quick , he diagnosed the EGR valve problem and then removed and cleaned .. saying the valve wanted replacing . I purchased a new EGR valve and cleaned the deposits out of the intake manifold directly beneath the EGR that was pretty blocked (using a vacuum cleaner and brush so it was not sucked into the intake) put the EGR back on and ran the car. It still felt a bit flat on acceleration and the light came on after about 40 mile. Was it a straight forward job to remove the intake manifold off to be able to get the carbon deposits off & put is back on with new gasket .... what sort of time does it involve , Des 

Hi Des, welcome to the club.

This topic is more than 3 years old.  You'd be better starting a new thread.

• 1 month later...

Hi Des,

I know this is a bit late. It took me about 4 hours to remove, clean and refit the intake manifold. This included me soda blasting the intake runners, jacking the car, removing the drivers side front wheel and hand cranking the engine to ensure the valves were shut.

I had zero issues with my 180, I just done it as part of some preventative maintenance as well as because I simply wanted too.. (ii'm like that) There was ALOT of carbon but it did do 115K miles at the time last year. When I was finished power felt more linear and more responsive which was very nice indeed. 

A basic tool kit will do it along with some extensions. 

You'll need to remove the common rail and injector lines  (place these IMMEDIATELY into clean sandwich bags, you don't want dirt getting inside...). It's pretty straight forward from there.. unplug everything in the way, move the wiring loom out the way and go at the intake manifold. If memory serves me right it was all 12mm bolts pretty much with a few 10mm screws which will need a spanner to get at. I think there was an 8mm in there as well. You'll need to get stuck in and have at it!

Good luck!