Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CD Player 2001 Avensis

IgReilly

My CD player has died. It started skipping but quickly progressed to simply spitting all cds back out. It doesn't display any error message.

It seems that the simplest option is a salvage unit.

I see that sometimes the cd player/radio, heater controls, sat nav controls all come together, is replacing just the cd player possible?

On eBay there is one but a code is mentioned, that 'can be obtained from the manufacturer'. What is this?

post-151631-0-65089300-1449435423_thumb.jpg

The code which is generally quoted is the reference number on the front of the unit. This should normally be visible on the photos on the eBay listing. 

I think the CD unit is a separate item something like W53804? 

From your photo the unit you want won't include the heater controls as if you swap those over you'd also need to source another facia. 

IMAG0097.jpgstandard stereo output is garbage

I got a nice Halfords ex display bargain for £40

jvc double din unit with bluetooth etc and a years warranty

go on their website and look for clearance items

• Like 1

Thanks but I'm not sure that looks right, the bottom half is a completely different shape. My cd player is just the lower half in my photo, the bit with the slot to take the disc. The top half also accommodates the various sat nav buttons. The readout display on mine is used by the cd player & sat nav?

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/04/2016 at 0:39 AM, IgReilly said:

Thanks but I'm not sure that looks right, the bottom half is a completely different shape. My cd player is just the lower half in my photo, the bit with the slot to take the disc. The top half also accommodates the various sat nav buttons. The readout display on mine is used by the cd player & sat nav?

Yours is the facelift version which has satnav across the range (?) the one above is pre-facelift.  Your assumption about obtaining a replacement with one from the breakers yard may be right.  There is a place near Wrexham has a lot of Avensis' in (Jacksons I think) might be just worthwhile looking.  Alternatively it may require a clean and/or your CDs may not be the right size (i.e. fractionally larger or smaller than the correct standard which can cause discs to be spat out like that).  

Does anyone know if the CD unit can be opened up?

Dain's car is Mk1 facelift - the heater controls are below the stereo, where as on my old Mk1, the stereo is mounted below the heater controls. 

Robbie's car is a Mk2.  

This should give an idea how to remove the stereo.

Yes Konrad, that is the model in mine, with the cd player being just the lower half with the slot to take the disc, and a single (eject) button. It was so simple to change. I got one from a popular online auction site for £25 delivered, and I didn't need a code for it, it just fired up immediately I put a disc in.

I still have to change the sat nav back to miles as some of it reset to km after I reconnected the car Battery, but hey, a result.

• Like 1

Did you try cleaning the head unit?

14 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Dain's car is Mk1 facelift - the heater controls are below the stereo, where as on my old Mk1, the stereo is mounted below the heater controls. 

Robbie's car is a Mk2.  

This should give an idea how to remove the stereo.

Shame it did not show opening up the CD - the procedure shown is in the service manual.

I didn't try cleaning the head, I'm not familiar with the process so it didn't occur to me. I just lashed out the £25.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links