Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ae92 - How To Change The Inner Tie Rod?

blueapple

How do you guys change the inner tie rod? or the rack end ( as toyota people call them )?

Can I do it with the steering rack in the car? do I need to drop the whole front suspension clip?

what kind of tools do I need? besides the one that I need to use to separate the steering outer tie rod end.

has anybody done this? Could you post some tips?

THanks!!

as far as i;m aware all you do is screw the whole link arm anti clockwise and it will come out of the rack.be sure to count the threads showing either end or the tracking will end up a mile out.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm in the same position as the original poster of this thread. There is the slightest amount of play in one of the tie rods, and it appears that it is happening at the inner end that connect to the steering rack.

It's looks to be impossible to replace without either removing the engine/transmission or dropping the

front suspension clip" (steel member that mounts to the body and hold the engine mounts and suspension points).

The toyota manual is NOT clear about how to replace these. Does anyone know what's needed to do in order to replace the inner tie rods?

The Haynes manual is pretty vague, read through it, get the correct tools together first, read through it again, then start.

It took me about 1 hour start to finish, but i did some cleanign up whilst i was under there too.

>Unity Jon Posted on Jul 14 2004, 09:46 AM

The Haynes manual is pretty vague, read through it, get the >correct tools together first, read through it again, then start. It took me about 1 hour start to finish, but i did some >cleaning up whilst i was under there too. 

I have the Toyota Manual (not the Haynes) and it couldn't be more vague.

Can you tell me....

-Did you need to remove the "subframe" to get access to the inner tie-rod/steering rack in any way? The manual sort of implies this but no directions are given. It looks to be difficult if not near impossible to get at the inner tie-rod/rack without doing this.

-Did you need to remove the steering-rack from the car?

-How is the the inner-tie rod connected to the rack? Is it threaded and you simply unscrew it or is a special tool need?

Any info (as detailed as possible) is greatly appreciated!

thanks

Steve

>Unity Jon Posted on Jul 14 2004, 09:46 AM

The Haynes manual is pretty vague, read through it, get the >correct tools together first, read through it again, then start. It took me about 1 hour start to finish, but i did some >cleaning up whilst i was under there too. 

I have the Toyota Manual (not the Haynes) and it couldn't be more vague.

Can you tell me....

-Did you need to remove the "subframe" to get access to the inner tie-rod/steering rack in any way? The manual sort of implies this but no directions are given. It looks to be difficult if not near impossible to get at the inner tie-rod/rack without doing this.

-Did you need to remove the steering-rack from the car?

-How is the the inner-tie rod connected to the rack? Is it threaded and you simply unscrew it or is a special tool need?

Any info (as detailed as possible) is greatly appreciated!

thanks

Steve

didnt remove the subframe but it would have made access easier.

It just unscrews... no special tool required apart from 'toyota special tool no.69' - patients and double jointed hands