Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

some clutch work done today

+robster+

just for anyone to see in advance in whats involved with a few pictures thrown in for good measure

don't know if this is common problem or just cause my wife drives car everyday?

reason I done these repairs

1) squeaky/ starting to get heavy clutch pedal  ( clutch and dmf are good changed 25k ago)

2) have had to bleed a couple of times in past 20k due to pedal becoming spongy and losing the full stroke and getting to the stage its more like an on/ off operation rather than controlled biting point

3) signs of leakage at master cylinder looking from under footwell

4) it can only get worse, even to the stage where the wife might wreck my gearbox

5) if doing this then I'm as well changing the slave cylinder and fluid and a few more wee job

so from pictures you can see pictures taken from half way through

new slave and old clutch master with new air filter and shorter drive belt in back ground ( gonna remove aircon as its starting to lose gas and get a wee bit noisey)

new parts installed ready to plumb and bleed

run down of part numbers and prices

new master was straight forward enough but bit of a contorsion,

there is a plastic bush on the clutch pedal pin hole you must not lose

the supplied weird waste of space big circle anchor fixing  on end of pushrod is a bit larger diameter ( too big to go through bulkheaed hole) and has to be removed before cylinder is mounted through bulkhead and then attached from the inside., this as far as I can see is just a plastic insert surrounded by crimped metal anchor that fixes to the pedal, I can not see much use for this rather than prevents over tightening.  Anyone any ideas for this supposedly waste of space and material? as it doesn't compress or seem to do much but may have shear properties in case of a crash?   I would have used old one but it had elongation to holes.

The new cylinder is aluminium the original Toyota one is plastic body, angle of pipe fittings are slightly different and require a little bend of pipe ( away from exhaust manifold) to fit correctly.

I had already started job on my driveway and had to finish on the driveway which I was trying to keep clean

so slave turned out to be a pain,, it was teasing me to remove coolant pipes and intercooler pipes etc, I managed to cable tie the radiator expansion tank up out the way with coolant hoses intact then with Battery already removed  I slackened and rotated starter main pos cable out the road to find yet another weird ( what looks to be) a waste of material, clutch pipe adapter piece that breaks into the clutch pipe rather than just have a longer pipe and no cast body adapter.

anyway a bit tight and a pain to remove small clutch pipe / removed 2 x 12mm head nuts to pull adapter out of way / further 2 x stud nuts to unmount slave cylinder, rebuild and bleed.

anyway

I have a service/ breakdown van with plenty of consumables etc so used my pressure bleeder to carry out a full dot4 fluid change.

noticed my steer fluid was black and flushed this out and renewed (atf)

fitted new air filter

still to get a water pump before stripping timing belt and will get any idlers or tensioners if needed, but they are crazy expensive and as a mechanic ill only renew if needed and not just for a rule of thumb.

at this stage ill remove aircon stuff and fit shorter belt

micks%20garage%20parts.jpgnew%20slave%20fitted.jpgparts%202.jpgmidway%20through.jpgparts.jpgnew%20master%20installed.jpgmaster%20minus.jpg

• 1 month later...

well done mate. Good Job. Great job on posting these pics.

Regards,

Waqar

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links