Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fixed Price Servicing - increase in brake fluid change for hybrids

FROSTYBALLS

Toyota US service intervals are every 6 month/5,000 miles, whichever occurs first - compared to the 12 month/10,000 miles intervals for UK cars and 12 months/15,000km for other European markets.

12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota US service intervals are every 6 month/5,000 miles, whichever occurs first - compared to the 12 month/10,000 miles intervals for UK cars and 12 months/15,000km for other European markets.

6 months/5k miles for older car with 5w30 because it is not full synthetic. After 2010, almost all Toyota in USA are 12months/10k miles interval, the same as UK.  But most people recommend 5k miles if they often do short trips due to low tension piston rings that could have oil consumption issue when people never go to highway regularly.  

The Toyota US website is showing 6 months\5,000 miles - not just for older cars.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Toyota US website is showing 6 months\5,000 miles - not just for older cars.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-service/maintenance-schedule.  90% is 10k miles unless you have specific car that require 5k miles. For all cars including the one in Europe we also do 5k miles interval if: 

Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32 F/ 0 C   = 5 000 miles / 6 months

Normal car usage interval is 10 000 miles/ 1 year. Just like the rest of the world.  I did 15k miles interval on my Sienna 2004 and even after 190k+ miles in 2017, it does not consume any oil, less than 100cc in that period every year, and 0.5L in my 2006 Prius (220k+ miles). As long as you use right oil (longlife 0w30 or 0w40 from Pennzoil Ultra,  mobil1 or Castrol Edge).  It works just fine but I do not do short trip often and winter was short December-Feb.

It does not really matter because Oil change is cheap in USA, probably about $100 in Stealership or with Rebate and any kinds of promotions, it is only $30 DIY with filter included.  Many American even do 3k or 3 month oil change because quicklube places often give you coupon for about $25 total for oil change.

Extract from the Toyota US website:

"In most cases, Toyota recommends that Toyota owners schedule a service appointment every six months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first."

Full stop.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Extract from the Toyota US website:

"In most cases, Toyota recommends that Toyota owners schedule a service appointment every six months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first."

Full stop.

Maintenance and Oil change is different things.  Schedule maintenance is 6 months but does not always include oil change.  The maintenance is just like changing or rotate tires from winter to summer. People do not change their own tires or rotate it regularly. All seasons tires in USA last very long, typically 60-80k miles. 

Whatever.

What happens in the US isn't relevant to the UK where Toyota Owners Club is based together with the majority of our members.

On 10/29/2020 at 1:39 PM, TonyHSD said:

Brake fluid change on Toyota hybrids is super easy diy job if you have someone to help, front ones done old school style with engine off and pump and hold the pedal, rear one are even easier, just push and hold the pump will do it for you, there are some important steps to follow and anything else is easy job. Ok takes time as you need to lift and remove all the wheels, and best is to get the pads off and clean and lubricate sliding pins. Done that on both our hybrids this summer and they have nice and sharp brakes., all discs clean and shiny. 

C8DB6F52-4FCC-4D65-90C1-8ECAA2EABEF3.jpeg

9BAEFE34-2C89-4CED-9674-1469E9459AF8.jpeg

As I understand from reading various posts, not from hands on experience yet, doesn't that method leave a lot of original fluid still in the system? There's a procedure with Techstream to open the valves in the controller,  though there is a non Techstream method as well. I'm going to get Techstream soon as I intend to replace brake fluid 3 yearly as I simply don't trust the dealer to do it even if I ask them to! (The car is still in the dealers clutches at the moment because of the guarantee)

4 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

As I understand from reading various posts, not from hands on experience yet, doesn't that method leave a lot of original fluid still in the system? There's a procedure with Techstream to open the valves in the controller,  though there is a non Techstream method as well. I'm going to get Techstream soon as I intend to replace brake fluid 3 yearly as I simply don't trust the dealer to do it even if I ask them to! (The car is still in the dealers clutches at the moment because of the guarantee)

Hi, 

it might have, not sure however the amount I had flushed and so quickly, setting the car in valet mode may had the abs valves open to let brake fluid run freely, not sure, the main point of flushing the fluid is to clean the cylinders in the callipers, this where the dirt will accumulate eventually and the pistons will start to rust and seize. I have no techstream or laptop, can’t use Toyota own diagnostic unfortunately. The brakes work great now. One thing that I noticed on Toyota cars, the slider pins get rusted easily, face side of the brake discs rusted and won’t clean by themselves even many miles done, seen that on cars even only 2 -3 years old. Now I do clean and lube these twice a year. 

10 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

it might have not sure, however the amount I had flushed and so quickly, setting the car in valet mode may had the abs valves open to let brake fluid run freely, not sure, the main point of flushing the fluid is to clean the cylinders in the callipers, this where the dirt will accumulate eventually and the pistons will start to rust and seize. I have no techstream or laptop, can’t use Toyota own diagnostic unfortunately. The brakes work great now. One thing that I noticed on Toyota cars, the slider pins get rusted easily, face side of the brake discs rusted and won’t clean by themselves even many miles done, seen that on cars even only 2 -3 years old. Now I do clean and lube these twice a year. 

Yes, brake fluid is the last thing you need to worry in Toyota unless you got flooded/submerged in water.  

The pin bolts need to be check regularly. Probably every 30k miles, just like the pads and rotor.  In hybrid the pad last 150k miles or more, but rotors in front may get weird wear and rear pinbolts got frozen often.  Don't bother with the disc, it works just fine with some rust on the edges in Auris with 296mm disc, enough surface to grip, way bigger than Prius 260mm. 

The pinbolts need to be filled with silicon grease A LOT, preventing any room for water but make sure it can go all way in without bulging the seals. I checked mine after 1 y, 10k miles, it is still full of grease and very easy to slide. 

We may need to bleed the brake a little bit after caliper job to remove air bubble. I would change brake fluid every 5 years not less. No point to have hassle if something is not broken. Just like other parts in Toyota, shock, struts, links, bushing, control arms may last decade, don't fix if it is not broken, often we make it worse especially if we used aftermarket parts

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

it might have, not sure however the amount I had flushed and so quickly, setting the car in valet mode may had the abs valves open to let brake fluid run freely, not sure, the main point of flushing the fluid is to clean the cylinders in the callipers, this where the dirt will accumulate eventually and the pistons will start to rust and seize. I have no techstream or laptop, can’t use Toyota own diagnostic unfortunately. The brakes work great now. One thing that I noticed on Toyota cars, the slider pins get rusted easily, face side of the brake discs rusted and won’t clean by themselves even many miles done, seen that on cars even only 2 -3 years old. Now I do clean and lube these twice a year. 

I suppose that if a bit of old fluid is left in, it will get diluted by the new stuff anyway. Good point about the caliper pins, I was wondering how often to do them 

• Like 1

Sliding pin bolts should be checked every 3y in cold area with road salts. They do get bad pretty often. I will spend 30 minutes extra when changing tires summer/winter. It is held by 13 or 14mm bolt, take it out, clean, and put new silicon grease every 3 years or anytime we change brake pads or rotors. Some mechanics just replace  brake pads or rotors without checking the pinbolts and the rotors and pads get bad very fast.   

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links